strange selling practices on here

What's Hot

Comments

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    edited June 2018
    To whomever lol trolled my post - I’m sure @TTony and @digitalscream would be interested to know why you think it’s funny that they have to stump up money so that the fretboard can continue and you can enjoy it for free.

Why not man up and actually comment on it rather than hiding behind an anonymous lol? 
    Dude theirs no point worrying over a lol, unfortunately this is the Internet in a nut shell, if the worst you get is a lol and not a barrage of abuse which would get in say.. YouTube comments you're doing pretty well  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    To whomever lol trolled my post - I’m sure @TTony and @digitalscream would be interested to know why you think it’s funny that they have to stump up money so that the fretboard can continue and you can enjoy it for free.

Why not man up and actually comment on it rather than hiding behind an anonymous lol? 
    Dude theirs no point worrying over a lol, unfortunately this is the Internet in a nut shell, if the worst you get is a lol and not a barrage of abuse which would get in say.. YouTube comments you're doing pretty well  
    I actually think lol trolling is worse. I’d much rather someone came out with it than hid behind a big anonymous wall. Smacks of cowardice a bit to me..
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Or it could just be a miss-click.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27435
    Jack_ said:
    Or it could just be a miss-click.
    More likely a Mr Dick.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27435

I actually think lol trolling is worse. I’d much rather someone came out with it than hid behind a big anonymous wall. Smacks of cowardice a bit to me..
     It may well be "the internet in a nutshell", but it doesn't mean that we - Lee & I specifically - have to tolerate that sort of trolling cowardice behaviour in our part of the internet.

This thread in itself is not particularly significant.  But some of the views expressed are indicative of what seems to have become a take-take culture, rather than give-take.  And the cowardly lol-trolling is way too prevalent.

We didn't set the forum up with the intention of people just taking, and in the early days that's not what happened.  Even today, many people still follow the give-take (and some even give-give) ethos.  

But somewhere along the way, the balance has changed, and its not a change that we - Lee & I specifically - are happy with.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2591
    Just a fact that some people will shamelessly look after number 1 and won't let looking like a dick stop them.

A few years ago, when I was exclusively playing bass, I had started exchanging emails with a fellow bassist, Irish guy.  I can't remember how it started, bass forum or Ebay or something. We chatted about gear, our bands, local scenes etc.  Seemed a very nice, friendly guy. 

I told him that for a while I'd been on the look-out for a particular model of bass  (Lakland Darryl Jones iirc).  One or two had come up on Ebay over the previous months but I missed out one way or another.  He was looking for other stuff on Ebay and said he'd keep an eye open for me as well.

So one morning I got an email from him, "perfect bass for you on Ebay mate, nice colour, good weight, fair price.  It's Buy It Now - better move quickly."   I logged on and bugger me it had already gone, sold within an hour of being listed.  Then I got another email from him  - "sorry mate, couldn't resist, bought it myself". 

Needless to say that was the end of our brief friendship.  I honestly don't think he thought he'd done anything wrong.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Can't fight the Internet tho buddy, you will always get the keyboard warriors, and the trolls  and the take take members

unfortunately it's not your part of the Internet   (I mean that in a non judgmental way!) as anyone can sign up  and anyone can use the classifieds so really have given them free reign,

I honestly think if you want to reclaim your space, the you need to have some stricter methods in place,  have a gold membership at £5 per year which let's you put a forsale ad up?

• breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379

@TTony Why not dispense with the current rewards system & replace it with a simple 'like' or 'recommend' button? 

It would instantly stop this practice.

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8790
    ...or add a ‘platinum service’ whereby one can see and identify the madcap funsters with their crazy LOLs...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    JerkMoans said:
    ...or add a ‘platinum service’ whereby one can see and identify the madcap funsters with their crazy LOLs...
    Ooh the whole fretboard dad brigade would sign up for that one! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8790
    JerkMoans said:
    Got me pondering Arthur Lowe, John Le Mesurier and Clive Dunn in a geetar-totin’ supergroup.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    JerkMoans said:
    JerkMoans said:
    Got me pondering Arthur Lowe, John Le Mesurier and Clive Dunn in a geetar-totin’ supergroup.
    Presumably Private Walker would only use the classifieds..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I know it's not the point of this thread, but why are Lol's and Wisdoms etc. anonymous? The only other forum I use regularly has similar things but it says under the post who clicked what. I can't stand the LOL thing either for what it's worth.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:

It may well be "the internet in a nutshell", but it doesn't mean that we - Lee & I specifically - have to tolerate that sort of trolling cowardice behaviour in our part of the internet.

This thread in itself is not particularly significant.  But some of the views expressed are indicative of what seems to have become a take-take culture, rather than give-take.  And the cowardly lol-trolling is way too prevalent.

We didn't set the forum up with the intention of people just taking, and in the early days that's not what happened.  Even today, many people still follow the give-take (and some even give-give) ethos.  

But somewhere along the way, the balance has changed, and its not a change that we - Lee & I specifically - are happy with.
    And I can't say I blame you for feeling like that.

I wonder how many of our members will read this thread, see Tony's post above, and actually spend 10 seconds thinking about this?

The more this forum stays predominantly take-take then the more likely it is that @TTony and @digitalscream will think "fuck it" and pull the plug. 

The level of expertise, free advice, and huge support that this forum gives out means it would be an immense loss. And yet there are still plenty who see joining in as a right that requires no effort whatsoever to maintain. Ho hum. Guess I'm a dinosaur for thinking that it's only right to give back when you take out.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I don't think you're a dinosaur for that view unless I'm one myself :)
    For what it's worth, I often find something funny enough to potentially click the LOL button but don't click it to make sure that it's not misread.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    The more this forum stays predominantly take-take then the more likely it is that @TTony and @digitalscream will think "fuck it" and pull the plug. 
    This is straying a long way from the point of the thread, but...this is definitely something we need to think about. It's no secret that, when running this kind of community, there are always going to be days when you think, "Are we actually adding any value to the world here, and are we achieving the goals we set out at the beginning?", but when those days become more frequent...it does become a much bigger and more pressing question.

Worse is the other question - "Is this really a community any more?", and the knowledge that anything we could potentially do to nudge it back to the original vision would result in the fallout landing on us yet again, because - as is the norm online - the loudest voices are always those who don't like it.
    <space for hire>
    I’ll be honest, the number of whining and whinging and argumentative posts has increased. The number of classifieds only users has increased. The number of people who want to participate in community type events has dropped.

I worry that one day I’ll come to visit and the forum won’t be here any more. No more ICBM advice, no more WezV builds, no more answers to those questions and advice on which x or y to buy. 

Where else on the internet could you go and get advice on your wiring diagram, or your pickup choice, or which tech to use, or whether a particular pedal is any good - and have it UK focused? 

A lot of this is of course “take”. Shame there isn’t as much “Give” 
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526

Only just read This!. 

The Lol was by Me. 
    It was not meant as an insult to anyone whatsoever especially the people who take their time effort and Money to make this place what it is. I got crossed wires with my thinking and the lol looking back now was not my best idea. 
    I was thinking how could people take the piss in the classifieds it has no comebacks on the forum and whats wrong with someone joining to buy from the classifieds it still helps the forum member who is selling. Somewhere along those lines is where my brain was at . I appologies to all who are offended by my lol. Including yourself.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2018
    @Bridgehouse there's no way it's worse than lolling, I can guarantee that if you came here and everyone who lolled instead gave vitriolic comebacks you wouldn't be here very long, it would be truly toxic, the odd snide lol is pretty harmless ...... Only in my opinion.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    JAYJO said:

Only just read This!. 

The Lol was by Me. 
    It was not meant as an insult to anyone whatsoever especially the people who take their time effort and Money to make this place what it is. I got crossed wires with my thinking and the lol looking back now was not my best idea. 
    I was thinking how could people take the piss in the classifieds it has no comebacks on the forum and whats wrong with someone joining to buy from the classifieds it still helps the forum member who is selling. Somewhere along those lines is where my brain was at . I appologies to all who are offended by my lol. Including yourself.
    Maybe I didn't make my point very well. I was saying that essentially the guys who run this place have to pay money out. 

They provide the classifieds and it costs them money. They ask for donations and get some money back from members, but its completely voluntary.

The annoyance is people who join up and use the classifieds, and make no attempt whatsoever to join in with the rest of the forum - but instead see it as an opportunity to make money for themselves (or save money on eBay fees).

I don't have a problem with people using the classifieds to save money etc - I just wish they would at least make the effort to join in somewhere else along the line and try to contribute positively. 

Maybe @ICBM should charge 50p every time he gives out some advice. After all, it is his job...