strange selling practices on here

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27434
    edited June 2018
    why should i lose out.
    Perfect concise summary of the attitude that seems increasingly prevalent and which is inconsistent with the original ethos.

Look at it another way.  

Why should you benefit?  Who puts the effort into running the forum?  Who deals with the shit to keep it running?  Where's the effort/benefit balance?

If people just want to advertise and sell stuff without commenting in the forum does it really matter.
    It matters to us.

It matters because we set out to build a platform for a community, not a Freebay.  The Classifieds were an add-on benefit for the community, where mates-rates deals happenned, where people sent stuff to each other without, or before payment.  Where "my word is my bond" still applied, trust.

It matters because those people who just want to advertise and sell stuff are disproportionately responsible for the hassle that we have to deal with - whether its the shit ads, or advertising fakes, or over-bumping, or deleting content, or prompting the various "is this new guy legit?" PMs.

It matters because those are - disproportionately again - the ones who reply with a stream of abuse when we ask them to read, and abide by, the rules.

not people just posting frivolous crap to be allowed access to the classifieds.
    You're making an - incorrect - assumption that we'd allow that to happen, if we changed the current default open-access approach.

I realise that I've just picked on one comment to reply to.  It was the last post, so easy to pick, but also indicated the divergence of thinking between us, and others.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    If people are getting their knickers in a tangle over lols, let’s just get rid of the bloody lols, wows and wizzes, or however you spell it. Jeez..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2342
    TTony said:
    why should i lose out.
    Perfect concise summary of the attitude that seems increasingly prevalent and which is inconsistent with the original ethos.

Look at it another way.  

Why should you benefit?  Who puts the effort into running the forum?  Who deals with the shit to keep it running?  Where's the effort/benefit balance?

If people just want to advertise and sell stuff without commenting in the forum does it really matter.
    It matters to us.

It matters because we set out to build a platform for a community, not a Freebay.  The Classifieds were an add-on benefit for the community, where mates-rates deals happenned, where people sent stuff to each other without, or before payment.  Where "my word is my bond" still applied, trust.

It matters because those people who just want to advertise and sell stuff are disproportionately responsible for the hassle that we have to deal with - whether its the shit ads, or advertising fakes, or over-bumping, or deleting content, or prompting the various "is this new guy legit?" PMs.

It matters because those are - disproportionately again - the ones who reply with a stream of abuse when we ask them to read, and abide by, the rules.

not people just posting frivolous crap to be allowed access to the classifieds.
    You're making an - incorrect - assumption that we'd allow that to happen, if we changed the current default open-access approach.

I realise that I've just picked on one comment to reply to.  It was the last post, so easy to pick, but also indicated the divergence of thinking between us, and others.
    I humbly concede, i wasnt trying to undermine or in any way devaluing the excellent    work by those who run this site. I appreciate all the work that goes into it. But I do find the classifieds useful and probably spend too much time perusing it like a kid outside the sweet shop. It would sadden me if the content was limited in anyway (apart from obvious fakes/scams etc, yes i realize thats work for the moderators).

I do take on-board what you say and agree that it is a community, it does have that good feel about it and i never got the impression it was a fleabay, even if there are non-contributing sellers, only you would know if that is a big number or not.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    edited June 2018
    I trust this forum's classifieds more than I ever would eBay. That is full of con men imo. Yes I've had some exposures to some real dicks on here but far fewer than I have on eBay. Rules of probability is quite good so here is the first place I come to shop and pick up some really good knowledge too
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Move to Off Topic?
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Worst thread ever
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 410
    TTony said:
     Where "my word is my bond" still applied, trust.

A laudable sentiment Tony, and one I agree with.  Sadly it does seem to be a minority view.

No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    My word is my bond is something someone proves.  Are we arguing to assume it from scratch?

Some regulars here have known each other 5+, even 10+ years.  It's a given if certain members say they'll do things that they'll do it, because they've proved they will.  Not everyone is as integrated as that.  I feel like it's a rose tinted glasses 'things were better in my day' way of looking at things.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6682
    I've bought and sold a ton of stuff on here since restoring my love of guitar and getting playing again after a long break. Hopefully contributed to conversations a little too. I genuinely never gave thought to individuals stumping up cash to keep it going. Sorry. 

Can I chuck £20 in the pot? It's not much I know but your stupid website just forced me to buy a Strymon Flint and I'll no doubt be eating gruel by the end of the month!

If someone can point me in the direction of how/where I can donate I'd be happy to. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    Worst thread ever
    Why ? It's s forum to discuss stuff surely? 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • martin8708martin8708 Frets: 81
    There was a similar sentiment on Basschat a year or two ago .
    The more established members felt their was a loss of a community feeling in the forum,and some of the newer members seemed incapable of civil discussion and seemed to go out of their way to be confrontational . ( there was some doubt that they actually played bass at all ) 
    It's the old adage ,if you don't have the guts to say something face to face ( and risk getting a punch in the face ) ,don't say it on the Internet .

The classifieds was also full of zero/ low post count flogging off their basses for free .
    Would you buy an £8k bass from a zero post member from Eastern Europe ?

It was decided to levy a nominal charge of £7 for any ads  over £50 , or stump up an annual fee of £20 for as many ads as you wish for those who change gear more frequently than they change their pants . 

As a newbie , I really enjoy the wealth of information and the great "banter " ( I hate that word ) that goes on here . 
    Keep up the great work ,guys .
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8786
    Holy crap: seeing which way the wind is blowing I’m flogging all my crap this weekend.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    JerkMoans said:
    Holy crap: seeing which way the wind is blowing I’m flogging all my crap this weekend.
    What you going to do with your £20 spoils?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2285
    There was a similar sentiment on Basschat a year or two ago .
    The more established members felt their was a loss of a community feeling in the forum,and some of the newer members seemed incapable of civil discussion and seemed to go out of their way to be confrontational . ( there was some doubt that they actually played bass at all ) 
    It's the old adage ,if you don't have the guts to say something face to face ( and risk getting a punch in the face ) ,don't say it on the Internet .

The classifieds was also full of zero/ low post count flogging off their basses for free .
    Would you buy an £8k bass from a zero post member from Eastern Europe ?

It was decided to levy a nominal charge of £7 for any ads  over £50 , or stump up an annual fee of £20 for as many ads as you wish for those who change gear more frequently than they change their pants . 

As a newbie , I really enjoy the wealth of information and the great "banter " ( I hate that word ) that goes on here . 
    Keep up the great work ,guys .
    I'm on Basschat too, and have found it well worth paying the annual £20 seller's fee - still way cheaper than eBay if you even sell one mid-price instrument.
    JerkMoans said:
    Buy all your wares :p 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    JerkMoans said:
    JerkMoans said:
    Buy all your wares :p 
    That figures :)
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    Buying / selling. Is that what guitar playing has boiled down to? Gear acquisition? Flipping & trading. Flippin' trading.  None of that interests me at all. I've bought a couple of pedals off here but I would rather support my local shop to be honest. Sad reflection if you ask me, no wonder it leads to aggro.

There's more to life than buying shiny things, there's music for a start. A guitar is an instrument, for creating vibrational energy, that's what this place is, or should be, about. If all you come here for is to buy / sell then you're no musician. Tough luck if you get ripped off.

I've no sympathy.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    blobb said:
    Buying / selling. Is that what guitar playing has boiled down to? Gear acquisition? Flipping & trading. Flippin' trading.  None of that interests me at all. I've bought a couple of pedals off here but I would rather support my local shop to be honest. Sad reflection if you ask me, no wonder it leads to aggro.

There's more to life than buying shiny things, there's music for a start. A guitar is an instrument, for creating vibrational energy, that's what this place is, or should be, about. If all you come here for is to buy / sell then you're no musician.
    A bit harsh - but I do have some sympathy with the point you’re making.

I’ve always been interested in owning instruments that work for me on a long-term basis - I’ve never really been a ‘flipper’. Some people sell so often on here that they must be ‘bedroom dealers’. I’m not sure I’ve any real objection to that - but they are effectively running a profit-making business without necessarily putting anything back into the forum.

Perhaps we could have a limit on ads in a given period - which results in members paying for more if they need them?
  • Hick81Hick81 Frets: 122
    blobb said:

There's more to life than buying shiny things, there's music for a start. A guitar is an instrument, for creating vibrational energy, that's what this place is, or should be, about. If all you come here for is to buy / sell then you're no musician. Tough luck if you get ripped off.

I've no sympathy.

It must be quite a struggle for you to even play guitar all the way up on your high horse.

I love buying guitars, it distracts me from actually improving my technique. 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    blobb said:

I've no sympathy.

Vibrational energy  “Playing”?

What fresh madness is this? I’d always believed these objects of lust to be shiny tokens of status and exchange. Rock n roll cowrie shells.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer