Shown up by my daughter - again

What's Hot
munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
Went to the southern jam on saturday, thought long and hard about booking a place initially, what if I'm rubbish, what if I can't play it right, what if the big boys take my stuff etc, etc. Bought a new guitar for it, made time to practice for it (last week beforehand to be fair!)   Anyway wasn't worth worrying about all good. (just don't watch the videos! : )

So my 13 year old daughter who has had a couple of months of piano lessons casually mentions last night she has signed up to do a solo performance singing and playing Mr Piano Man at the school concert which is to over 2,000 people!

She has form her and her friend signed up to perform a street dance they choreagraphed between them, I took her to this festival expecting two men and a dog watching, there were hundreds of spectators.

What a great way to be, made me feel a bit silly.
1reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    My view is,

Your daughter is doing great
    Irregardless of the nature/nurture debate, there is always going to be a good amount of the latter
    Therefore... you still get the credit!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    munckee said:
     Bought a new guitar for it, made time to practice for it (last week beforehand to be fair!)   Anyway wasn't worth worrying about all good. (just don't watch the videos! : )

I'm listening to Learning to Fly and a) you sound really good and b) there's 4 guitars on that track. I know a lot of experienced guitarists who dont have the sensitivity and have too much ego to cope with that. 

So carry on playing and carry on encouraging your daughter. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2512
    Bet she could play comfortable numb without stopping too - sorry couldn't resist :)))
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6768

Come on man, step up to the challenge. Im expecting a full drum rendition from you at the next jam after I showed you a few basic rhythms at the weekend ;-)

Well done to her. We always need keyboard players at the jam sessions if she fancies an easier audience!

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Turn up to the performance in a bright pink tuxedo, sit in the front row... that’ll teach her for showing you up!... :)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    Bet she could play comfortable numb without stopping too - sorry couldn't resist :)))
    Well in the rehearsal I followed poopot during the verse/chorus and Slacker during the solo.  For the recording @Bridgehouse stepped in for reasons I don't understand and played the solo bass parts differently and I got lost, and stuck to my mantra of play nothing rather than the wrong thing : )

• vizviz Frets: 10681
    joeyowen said:
    My view is,

Your daughter is doing great
    Irregardless of the nature/nurture debate, there is always going to be a good amount of the latter
    Therefore... you still get the credit!

Whichever it is you get full credit :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    mrkb said:

Come on man, step up to the challenge. Im expecting a full drum rendition from you at the next jam after I showed you a few basic rhythms at the weekend ;-)

Well done to her. We always need keyboard players at the jam sessions if she fancies an easier audience!

I'm thinking one step at a time, a solo or two and maybe sing something (something shouty!)  She said she would come to the next one if we did more Shawn Mendes/Taylor Swift, I said I'd ask!
    poopot said:
    Turn up to the performance in a bright pink tuxedo, sit in the front row... that’ll teach her for showing you up!... :)
    This ought to do it..

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    munckee said:
    Well in the rehearsal I followed poopot during the verse/chorus and Slacker during the solo.  For the recording @Bridgehouse stepped in for reasons I don't understand and played the solo bass parts differently and I got lost, and stuck to my mantra of play nothing rather than the wrong thing : )

Sorry if I put you off! I only stepped in to balance out numbers of bass parts. As it happens, the bass part I played on comfy was exactly as per the album recording apart from the final solo where I usually track close to a live recorded version I have because it's a bit more interesting..

That'll teach me to step in after rehearsals have been done tho!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    What recording are you referring to @munckee. ; Any links to same?  Thanks.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    What recording are you referring to @munckee. ; Any links to same?  Thanks.
    The recordings done by the studio have not been released yet, there are some videos taken on the day on this thread:
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133287/post-rats-chat-pics-clips/p3

On comfortably numb I'm the guy with the shaved head playing the solos - ahem : )
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    munckee said:

On comfortably numb I'm the guy with the shaved head playing the solos - ahem : )

BRILLIANT!! :+1: 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    munckee said:

Sorry if I put you off! I only stepped in to balance out numbers of bass parts. As it happens, the bass part I played on comfy was exactly as per the album recording apart from the final solo where I usually track close to a live recorded version I have because it's a bit more interesting..

I offered it to Bridgehouse as he hadnt played much that day and he knew it. I didnt realise it put you off. Apologies. 
    slacker said:
    munckee said:

I offered it to Bridgehouse as he hadnt played much that day and he knew it. I didnt realise it put you off. Apologies. 
    I think I possibly may have just fluffed it as I seem to remember doing similar in the rehearsal it was totally my fault, anyway that was the other loser I was the solo dude : )
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625

I thought you played excellent mate, I watched both comfortably numb's on Sat and it was well impressive (as was everything else).

FWIW my daughter is the same age, is in theatre and sings without a care in the world and can really hold a tune, I dont even sing in the shower!

It is nice to feel proud isn't it?
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    munckee said:
    mrkb said:

I'm thinking one step at a time, a solo or two and maybe sing something (something shouty!)  She said she would come to the next one if we did more Shawn Mendes/Taylor Swift, I said I'd ask!

Some of the earlier Taylor Swift songs have pretty good Guitar parts. 
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Kids are great when they are small. You can race them and decide if you let them win. You go bowling and win. They grow up and all I do is lose.
    Quick update here is a quick video of me accompanying my daughter while she rehearses for an audition at her performance club

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5358
    Love that she already knows the most important thing is to get the look right :)

What's she auditioning for?