Vox AD120 As A Speaker Cab

Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
My friend has a Vox AD120 and has since acquired a Laney L20 head. He wants to know if he can use the AD120 purely as a speaker can with the new head. I catgut my hands on it to have a look and couldn't really find any pics on the Internet that would make me confident to tell him he can and at what Ohms he should set the head.

Anybody out there owned or won and AD120? Is what my friend wants to do possible?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Yes, it is. By far the easiest and best method is to fully disconnect the amp from the speakers - they should be attached with push-connectors - and make up a new wiring loom with a jack and the same connectors.

I'm fairly sure the speakers in these are 8-ohm, in which case you need to connect them either in parallel to make a 4-ohm cab or in series to make a 16-ohm cab, depending on which is most compatible with the amp.

I would also make sure the loose wires from the amp are taped up, or the amp's main fuse is removed, to prevent it accidentally being powered up with the connectors touching each other or something else - which will probably wreck it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    ICBM said:
    Yes, it is. By far the easiest and best method is to fully disconnect the amp from the speakers - they should be attached with push-connectors - and make up a new wiring loom with a jack and the same connectors.

I'm fairly sure the speakers in these are 8-ohm, in which case you need to connect them either in parallel to make a 4-ohm cab or in series to make a 16-ohm cab, depending on which is most compatible with the amp.

I would also make sure the loose wires from the amp are taped up, or the amp's main fuse is removed, to prevent it accidentally being powered up with the connectors touching each other or something else - which will probably wreck it.
    Great, thanks so much!