PSA Les Paul Special Plus 2016 £600 at Dawsons

What's Hot
robertyroberty Frets: 10893
These were over a grand at first.  Someone please buy this so I don't have to:

https://www.dawsons.co.uk/gibson-2016-les-paul-special-plus-limited-run-vintage-sunburst
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    It's a good price. Does this model have the G Force tuning system? It's not mentioned in the ad but maybe that's just Dawsons being tactful  =)
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    @Moominpapa ;it has deluxe style tuners with white buttons
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    Bad news. They have at least 18 in stock, so they are going to be teasing you for some time yet!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • telehacktelehack Frets: 93
    Contoured back and super skinny neck, so you have to like that...
    Hattigol said:
    Bad news. They have at least 18 in stock, so they are going to be teasing you for some time yet!
    Tits
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22714

"With its single cutaway, multi-piece mahogany body, it looks and feels just great to play. By employing several pieces of mahogany in the construction of the body it is intended to remain reliable and durable over many years."

Thank god it hasn't got one of those pesky one-piece bodies.  A couple of weeks' playing and they just fall to bits.

18reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4692
    edited June 2018
    Not very nice pickups in these. Not
    nearly as nice as P90s.  IMO.

Take that back.  I thought they were the ones with the odd single coil - P90S or something.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Looks like a studio or tribute without the maple carved top. Not what I expected from the name and the rrp.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Looks like a studio or tribute without the maple carved top. Not what I expected from the name and the rrp.
    That's pretty much what a Special is, isn't it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    martinw said:
    Construction wise, but normally you’d expect maybe a double cut, wraparound bridge, p90’s, bracketless guard. Something that makes it different but not less than a standard.

In this case you’re just removing the expense of a carved top but charging more (than a Tribute model). Unless I’m missing something.
    martinw said:
    Construction wise, but normally you’d expect maybe a double cut, wraparound bridge, p90’s, bracketless guard. Something that makes it different but not less than a standard.

In this case you’re just removing the expense of a carved top but charging more (than a Tribute model). Unless I’m missing something.
    It's a Special with humbuckers and a regular LP shaped guard.  The belly cut and ToM bridge do sometimes feature on Specials, quite common on 90s ones
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SyncSync Frets: 289
    edited June 2018
    Don't forget this, like the DC special from 15' has the bound fretboard so certainly a cut above the tributes etc imo bar the carved top. Gloss finish too. 

Could get one that sounds epic or a dud. With true Gibson form, order 4 return 3. I like the pickup combo in these ones too, seems to work well. 

I let the DC Special with P90s slip through my hands during the Amazon dark 15' firesale pricing era.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    There will be a small weight range of 7lbs to 17lbs so buy with confidence.
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2018
    roberty said:
    martinw said:
     said:

It's a Special with humbuckers and a regular LP shaped guard.  The belly cut and ToM bridge do sometimes feature on Specials, quite common on 90s ones

https://www.andertons.co.uk/gibson-usa-2018-les-paul-special-double-cut-2018-in-tv-yellow-lpsdh18tvnh1?LGWCODE=LPSDH18TVNH1;56375;6335&gclid=Cj0KCQjwu_jYBRD8ARIsAC3EGCJcQKZ5GkMo611_yCsz7WLvyV_iTJIITsUcbiF-ohCMnIf7ApPiZa0aAk57EALw_wcB

The 2018 Special is more like it. Suppose I’m basing my opinion on the original 2 iterations. 
  • SyncSync Frets: 289
    Looks like they have only sold 3 in the last couple of weeks. I'm still tempted to take a punt.

Could be a slow burner and further price drop?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Every time I glance at the title of this Discussion I think it's going to be about Les Dawson
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Isn't this the batch with intonation problems?
    Chalky said:
    You mean the TOM is in the wrong place? Those saddles are adjustable
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    roberty said:
    Chalky said:
    You mean the TOM is in the wrong place? Those saddles are adjustable
    Last year Dawsons had a batch that couldn't be intonated for love nor money. Just seems odd that these are 2016 - coincidence maybe.