Flying to the USA to pick up a guitar

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 6817
    sev112 said:
    Hope there’s no customs or VAt people who frequent this forum :)

I'm not sure that flying to the USA to pick up a guitar is really within my normal frame of reference but this reminded me of a chap I knew from my court days. He would come back from Tenerife (IIRC) with a suitcase full of fags to sell down the pub. On his one trip he boasted about what he'd achieved to a bloke on the bus back from the airport. Turned out the bloke was an off duty customs officer. I can't remember the detail but he certainly went to prison for it. 
    I feel the warm, healing, liquid presence of God’s genuine cold-filtered grace. 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 1182
    ther are no doubt people who do this all the time, guitars, cameras loads of stuff. But they do not talk about it on forums, nuff said
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 83
    I’m really glad I started this thread now. If only becuase of some of the jokes. 

I am not trying to make light out of it and relaise the moral issues associated with some of the connotations. If it were completley about dodging import duties then I wouldn’t be posting on here. It’s as much about the other factors, and CITIES appears to be one of the major problems. However I have a solution for that (or rather the dealer does) and so if I pull the trigger it should not pose a problem. The thing about bringing the guitar on the plane/checking in the hold also seems to negate the benefits of getting it in person. So I ain’t getting it in person. 

So if I do buy it, the moral minority (and this thread does seem to indicate that more than 50% of those commenting have a wandering moral compass like me  ;)) will rest easy knowing that there will be no tax dodging going on. 

I do take issue with the idea about the chap selling suitcases of fags though. This guitar is going into my will if I get it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    OK- I took the plunge: Custom built PRS Tremonti used by the man himself on the new album, signed by the band and PRS himself on the headstock. 1 of 14 made. Holy shit....

Holy...holy...I'M IN DEBT!! ;-) GAS sorted for the next 3 years while I pay and play this off...hope I get that pay rise. And the UPS chap will sit at the door step waiting for me to pay the import duty. All legit. YOU ALL HAPPY NOW?!!?
    0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 302
    What's wrong with CITES now? They do phenomenal work. 

HNGD. I hear import duty improves the tone. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 438
    You beauty! Enjoy...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • NeilNeil Frets: 2169
    skinfreak said:
    I’m really glad I started this thread now. If only becuase of some of the jokes. 

I am not trying to make light out of it and relaise the moral issues associated with some of the connotations. If it were completley about dodging import duties then I wouldn’t be posting on here. It’s as much about the other factors, and CITIES appears to be one of the major problems. However I have a solution for that (or rather the dealer does) and so if I pull the trigger it should not pose a problem. The thing about bringing the guitar on the plane/checking in the hold also seems to negate the benefits of getting it in person. So I ain’t getting it in person. 

So if I do buy it, the moral minority (and this thread does seem to indicate that more than 50% of those commenting have a wandering moral compass like me  ;)) will rest easy knowing that there will be no tax dodging going on. 

I do take issue with the idea about the chap selling suitcases of fags though. This guitar is going into my will if I get it. 
    You say that now...... ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 776
    Nice score. Like the Copperhead one on his website too. Such a shame the dollar/pound rate is so poor. Not used UPS for a while but they used to ring you when the guitar landed here in the UK to collect the duty before it was delivered.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 1733
    Neil said:
    skinfreak said:

You say that now...... ;)

Lol. Exactly my first thought. We've all been there!

HNGD OP. Enjoy it.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

Strat54 said:
    Nice score. Like the Copperhead one on his website too. Such a shame the dollar/pound rate is so poor. Not used UPS for a while but they used to ring you when the guitar landed here in the UK to collect the duty before it was delivered.
    I was torn with the copperhead. The difference for me was that the copperhead is a standard colour but the antique white usually covers the entire body. Apprently Eric Friedman was hoping the white one did not get sold so I am going to break the news to him when I meet the band in Birmingham later in the month. The guys at Fret12 were great to deal with though. Fair play. Well you'd expect them to be!

I'lll be changin my Will next week too... ;)
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 831
    Mixed reactions on this thread. I've learnt that one has to be careful of what you actually post on here. What can start out as an innocent thread can turn in to some sort of 'orrible back lash :(

Glad you got it in the end @skinfreak ; I bet you feel ecstatic, albeit in debt but hey that's what we work for, for these rewards to ourselves isn't it :)

Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 4229
    Mixed reactions on this thread. I've learnt that one has to be careful of what you actually post on here. What can start out as an innocent thread can turn in to some sort of 'orrible back lash :(

You've just described most of the threads on here....

Nice looking guitar, that.  The white top and natural back gives it something of an iced bun look.

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 728
    edited June 14
    Everybody should be forced to declare everything that they ate and drank while out of the country, and made to pay import duty on it. Ditto gifts, clothes, jewellery, electronics, etc., let's Make Britain Great Again!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TedTed Frets: 8
    I think you can still buy a guitar or most  other products in the EU and ship it to the UK free from duty under single market rules.
    If the UK government gets it together to sign a free trade agreement with Trump(who seems to like us) then the Customs might not be an issue anymore..

Meanwhile I think you'd have to calculate whether getting 20% off the Vattable price is worth the expense and risk of flying to the US and then trying to blindside past UK customs. I think they do have Vat in the form of sales tax in most US states although I think it is more like 8-10%.

Regarding the moral question I guess this is a personal judgement - I personally don't buy blackmarket tobacco for the reason that I quite like the NHS and feel that I as a smoker I should be paying for it. But a one off diddle on a guitar may be lower level although I guess you could say if you start feeling free to blatantly  break the law ,where does it end?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 4027
    I don't mind paying tax that much

When importing a few grands worth of kit I was offered a faked invoice to pay less duty and tax, and refused. That's where I am now, it makes me feel content. It's my business I suppose.

However, putting that aside, reading this I was struggling to see the logic of paying large air fares, taxis fees etc. in the hope to offset those costs by illegally avoiding duty and tax, risking losing the guitar. Also losing days to air travel.
    Surely it was indeed less risk and less hassle to just import with insurance and pay the tax
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JEPBLEPJEPBLEP Frets: 183
    Came for the promise of an adventure, stayed for the drama, got rewarded with some excellent NGD material.

Excellent thread!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 831
    Philly_Q said:

You've just described most of the threads on here....

Nice looking guitar, that.  The white top and natural back gives it something of an iced bun look.

It's bringing the forum down a bit IMO :( Hope it improves 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    edited June 14

However, putting that aside, reading this I was struggling to see the logic of paying large air fares, taxis fees etc. in the hope to offset those costs by illegally avoiding duty and tax, risking losing the guitar. Also losing days to air travel.
    Surely it was indeed less risk and less hassle to just import with insurance and pay the tax
    The
     whole point was to weigh up the pros and cons and in the end flying would not have been worth it. I appreciate that it might have come across as some pure tax dodge decision but honestly it wasn't, but was definitely was a factor. The guitar is in the mail anyway and I will wait to see how far north of £1000 the duties will be....
    Ted said:

Regarding the moral question I guess this is a personal judgement - I personally don't buy blackmarket tobacco for the reason that I quite like the NHS and feel that I as a smoker I should be paying for it. But a one off diddle on a guitar may be lower level although I guess you could say if you start feeling free to blatantly  break the law ,where does it end?
    I agree. Guitars can cause RSI and therfore should be taxed accordingly. I have now been converted! I repent!
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 1566
    Ted said:
    I think you can still buy a guitar or most  other products in the EU and ship it to the UK free from duty under single market rules.
    If the UK government gets it together to sign a free trade agreement with Trump(who seems to like us) then the Customs might not be an issue anymore..

Meanwhile I think you'd have to calculate whether getting 20% off the Vattable price is worth the expense and risk of flying to the US and then trying to blindside past UK customs. I think they do have Vat in the form of sales tax in most US states although I think it is more like 8-10%.

All an FTA with the USA would bring is potential elimination of the duty - 3.4% - maybe. VAT and all the brokerage stuff would absolutely still apply, as would potential Customs inspections and CITES malarkey. 

EG - you still pay a f*cktonne to import a guitar from the USA to Canada and Trump thinks Canada’s deal is “too good.”
    I agree. Guitars can cause RSI and therfore should be taxed accordingly. I have now been converted! I repent!
    Yes and they might cause deforestation as well, and rock music is decadent too.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 12792
    Ted said:

Yes and they might cause deforestation as well, 
    Surely guitars are carbon traps, and thus very environmentally beneficial?
    Be your own evil twin. 
    Sporky said
    Surely guitars are carbon traps, and thus very environmentally beneficial?
    I am guessing it would depend on the extent to which trees are specially planted just to make guitars.

But they are undoubtedly extremely sinful and should be taxed accordingly.