Order of OD pedals

What's Hot
LaCathedrale_UKLaCathedrale_UK Frets: 105
Without me testing all the permutations, is there an obvious order in which to place my OD pedals? I've got an SD-1, TS-clone and Klon-clone
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    I find the most useful combinations are usually by stacking in descending order of midrange (ie most midrange first), rather than by gain.

So I would suggest TS, SD-1, Klon.

But you will really be best to try the different combinations - there are only six, so it won't take forever. It's possible that you have different ideas about what sounds good and how you set the pedals which might make my 'best' order not the best for you...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Good advice above. I personally stack from gritty to smooth so things like fuzzes are tamed if you add in pedals afterwards. 
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
    I’m in a similar situation to you re OD order.  I’m still trying to work out which sounds the best with my Princeton and guitars. So far I’ve got a Klone going into a Boss OD-1 and then a Boss SD-2 I think this sounds the best for me, I tried the Klone last and I thought it made everything sound slightly harsh raspy.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I generally just have two drives on the board at a time. With the mildest first. Generally have the drive turned down on the second. Not sure why, but they stack better that way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    I like @ICBM ;'s suggestion.

Way back when, I had a TS-clone (Vox Valvetone) and a DOD Classic Fuzz (which I think is somewhere in the Big Muff ballpark) that I stacked that way. The difference in the fuzz was night and day.

But yeah, doing it by ear really is the best way. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Well, I've only got a P90 equipped guitar on at the moment and I'm using my TS with maximum level, minimum drive (for that tight 80's thrash sound with the Marshall) and so I'm getting lots of feedback and squealies whenever I have it turned on - but generally having a real blast.

This is my first time using the SD-1 and while I thought it was pretty amazing when I tried it out in a vacuum, with an A/B it is neither as tight as the TS nor as sparkly as the Klone. Ah well, maybe I'll mod it to something interesting...
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    There is a simple mod to remove the blanket-over-the-cabinet
  • That would be very useful - it does sound quite wooly!