Westworld theme cover....

Hi guys, chucking this out for anyone who likes Westworld or has any production useful tips for me. 

I made it in about 8 hours using Presonus Studio One. I don't really know anything at all about music production, I've had a few shite attempts at things in the past but I got some much better sounds recently that inspired me to have a go at things that I like. I think the Westworld theme is really cool and on Friday I was doing a guitar exercise that had a min/major7 arp in it played in 5's, and I just went 'WESTWORLD!' 

Checked it out and I was right so I decided to make a cover of the whole theme. I know there's a million things wrong but would be grateful to know say the top 2 things that stand out that are rubbish so I can work on them. For me I think it's dynamics, and sample overlap where the samples seem to trigger slightly out of time with each other. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P_piiZYqwM
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11790
    Excellent work. The string patches are probably the weakest bit, also the piano. I suppose those are the things that are most detectable

Did you use compressors, they would get the mix more lively
  • wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 443
    Hi, thanks for the comments. I agree on the string patches I don't think the library was very good. I thought the piano was decent though? No, I didn't use any effects as I'm a total amateur. Literally no idea what I'm doing with a DAW yet :D Where should I use a compressor? On just one instrument, all of them? No clue here!
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11790
    mixing is tough, I used to have TC X3 multi-compressor, which had presets that would take a mix where the levels were ok, and make it sound amazing. 

Part of good mixing is learning how to use compressors to achieve that end, also using reverb to bring things forward and push some parts back. There are probably loads of youtube videos out there on this, I learned it from books 

After a while, and trying lots of sampled pianos, you can get a lot more fussy about piano, and  (personal opinion) that sample set you have would sound ok to 90% of people, but to someone used to hearing a real piano or a good sampled one would think it sounded less convincing. So good enough for most people, but the patch could undermine the performance for a few

Personally, I'm very impressed, I wish I could pull something like that together in a few hours

which libraries are you using?
  • wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 443
    Thanks man, appreciated! 
    It's the basic Spitfire one for the strings and the old East West Colossus orchestra library for the piano. My mixing for this involved making sure there was no clipping and playing with the volume sliders. That was it!
    I listened to this again the other day and I think it falls apart a bit from the middle, both in terms of the balance and I think there's a wrong note or two which escaped me. I might watch some YouTube videos and play with it and see how much I can improve it.