Fortnite fear!

What's Hot
jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
om theradio today how all th kids are addicted to this game, feckless parents telling tales of how little darlings spend hours every day on it sitting in their own piss at 4am getting angry and assaulting their parents and not going to school. Parents are saying they don’t want their kids left out because everyone else is on it or talking about it at school  

My message to the parents is take control, they are going on about this like it’s a mystery illness with no known cure and they can’t control it.

stop being such useless shitbags and turn the fucking thing off, take it out of the kids room and ration it on grounds of good behaviour.

but you know what that then means that these feckless wankers might have to interact with their kids. Out of sight out of mind til it goes tits up.

well glad I got that off my chest.
"OUR TOSSPOT"
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

Different game, but my 10 year old likes Roblox.  After a while she is told that she has played it enough and go and do something else.  I must say it is tempting to leave her there as it keeps her quiet.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26929
    I agree.

Not least because I'm shit at it :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited June 2018
    I heard too that kids were even soiling themselves cos couldn't break away to go use the bathroom...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

To play devil's advocate, most parents want their kids involved with what is the current big thing, and don't want them excluded.  However, it isn't hard to cap the time they spend on it
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3013
    It could be worse,.

It could be the parents soiling themselves playing Fortnite, while the kids sat glued to youtube watching videos of parents soiling themselves playing Fortnite.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • We were discussing this at work today.

One of the guys was saying that after reading about it he unplugged the WiFi at 2300 on Sunday night. His two teenage kids SHOULD have been asleep. They'd "gone to bed" and he'd checked on them- lights out & all quiet. He immediately heard movement in their rooms indicating that they weren't asleep. 

He got up at 0600 & the WiFi was somehow back on. Someone had been up, sneaked down & plugged it in. 

Tonight he's taking the router to his room. 

My kids are just starting primary school. I've got all this to look forward to! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Sometimes it's nice to have more traditional problems.  My 10 year old reads for a bit when she goes to bed.  I had to stop her at 11 o'clock on Saturday night when I went up there - completely engrossed in a Famous Five book.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7321
    We were discussing this at work today.

One of the guys was saying that after reading about it he unplugged the WiFi at 2300 on Sunday night. His two teenage kids SHOULD have been asleep. They'd "gone to bed" and he'd checked on them- lights out & all quiet. He immediately heard movement in their rooms indicating that they weren't asleep. 

He got up at 0600 & the WiFi was somehow back on. Someone had been up, sneaked down & plugged it in. 

Just tell him to change the WiFi password at night. It's not like they'll ever mention it cos they know they're meant to be in bed.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4133
    Or set a time when the wifi is off, my router can do that.

All the major consoles have parental controls. There's no excuse for not setting these up so you can limit what your kids can do and make sure they can't spend any money without permission. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    I thought Fortnite was now officially old hat and the kids had moved onto something else?
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    crunchman said:
    Sometimes it's nice to have more traditional problems.  My 10 year old reads for a bit when she goes to bed.  I had to stop her at 11 o'clock on Saturday night when I went up there - completely engrossed in a Famous Five book.
    That is truly old school and very cute. Kudos to your daughter for being a reader. 
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Stuckfast said:
    I thought Fortnite was now officially old hat and the kids had moved onto something else?
    Knife crime
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    om theradio today how all th kids are addicted to this game, feckless parents telling tales of how little darlings spend hours every day on it sitting in their own piss at 4am getting angry and assaulting their parents and not going to school. Parents are saying they don’t want their kids left out because everyone else is on it or talking about it at school  

My message to the parents is take control, they are going on about this like it’s a mystery illness with no known cure and they can’t control it.

stop being such useless shitbags and turn the fucking thing off, take it out of the kids room and ration it on grounds of good behaviour.

but you know what that then means that these feckless wankers might have to interact with their kids. Out of sight out of mind til it goes tits up.

well glad I got that off my chest.

I have no idea why people are so afraid of taking control. My partner's ex husband is a perfect example. The kids are 8 and 6. In six months with me living with them, they are so much better because I don't stand for the shit that he does.

When I moved in last November, they had free reign on devices: PC, Xbox, iPad. Not now. Every device in his house is now controllable from my Chromebook, PC, or laptop with regard to screen time and I can switch the router off at will. They have clear timetables of when and where for everything. It has been a baptism of fire to go from being someone who hated children to constantly living with two of them but if I can do it, so can other people. 

As for the game.... it really is fucking shit. It's absolutely horrible in every single way. Roblox is more mercenary but has some fun bits, Minecraft is something I like, but Fortnite's simply crap. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7828
    edited June 2018
    I like Fortnite.  It's still incredibly popular with all ages, but kids, in particular seem to be addicted.  I like that it's snack size, you can play a game and be done in a half hour.  I don't get playing it for 12 hours solid, but I get bored easily.  I get regularly slaughtered by my nephews, much to their amusement.

In the middle of renovations, so playing it in my iPhone at the moment.  Not the best experience.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    edited June 2018
    I should say that as complete non-gamer I don’t understand the attraction to any sort of gaming. 

But I’m led to believe my nephew spends a lot of time playing this one online with his mates

Personally I don’t think it’s healthy. If I look back on what I did at that age - going out on my bike and playing football I know what I’d rather be doing...

I’ll be a bit controversial here and say that a lot of 30/40 somethings are now parents now but weirdly (to me) still play computer games.

Kids must see this as normal, get exposed to it at a young age and follow suit. We don’t have any games consoles set up in my house and surprise surprise my kids (both girls and maybe that’s why) don’t play any computer games. 

The down side to that is they may not be as tech savvy as some kids the same age. But I’ll take it.

They do look forward to going out to play in the garden and spend hours in there just playing and using their imaginations. I love watching and hearing them play.

So for me yes let them play computer games if they must, but get a balance between other ‘healthier’ activities.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11886
    We were discussing this at work today.

my idea was to invent a device that subtly introduces lag into your internet connection
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24265
    Fuck that.. just punch them in the face if they go more than ten seconds over the allocated time for playing games.  Then burn their console / Pc in front of them.

I’d have made a good dad.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    Emp_Fab said:
    Fuck that.. just punch them in the face if they go more than ten seconds over the allocated time for playing games.  Then burn their console / Pc in front of them.

I’d have made a good dad.

Well you certainly sound like mine...   :s

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    Easier to blame it on someone else. Thats the mentality I seem to feel these days. 

Never your own fault. 

I’d have had a slipper wrapped around my ass and had my sega’s power cable taken away and a long chat about what i want my life to be when I grow up. 

The result wasnt a high flying businessman, or a super motivated individual, but I did learn a sense of morality, how to earn my privileges, and how to stand on my own two feet without feeling the need to constantly fit in with what everyone else is doing.

Most of all I learnt how life aint fair, but to value what I do have.

They gladly bought me a guitar or a bike though.

Hell I used to love tearing up the streets with my mate, discovering, riding! 
    Lotta scabs and close calls with traffic, but hell, we turned out fine. N further back my parents were down the mines as kids and theyre bloody better people than me! 

Now as an adult, I do enjoy playing soldier on battlefield, sometimes for hours on end, but I can never shake how much of an actual waste of time it is. Fine for a couple hours here and there when the important stuffs been done, or as personal chill time though. 

Infact, I realise how damn right they were! If I’d have spent as much time playing guitar or practicing maths, I could be paying someone else to work for me now.  

Then again I take the same view of watching tv. 

I’d rather have a brain and experience the world, and learn. 
    Kids these days experience life through a screen, and grow up to be the entitled fucks that run the place, or worse the criminals we pay to suppress. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Yet there are millions of adults around the country currently glued to endless hours of Love Island... if that isn't brain melting drivel then I don't know what is.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom