School trip dress code...wtf?!

What's Hot

Comments

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Brize said:
    Yep, perfectly reasonable. I wouldn't want my daughter wearing short or low-cut items or t-shirts with inappropriate images/slogans anyway.  
    Especially in Amsterdam. Or Rotherham.

But seriously, it's a school trip. They are representing the school, so clothing/appearances that brings the school into disrepute shouldn't be allowed.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    If your employer took you and your colleagues on a trip anywhere they would expect you to dress appropriately.  The school is just making clear what's normal behaviour in an adult world. Teenagers are notorious for wanting to push the boundaries. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Black tracksuit bottoms and trainers is part of a uniform? Thats mental
    Again...why is it? They do many practical things during a school day. Would you wear a suit for cooking at home, painting or kicking a ball around?

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5626
    edited June 2018
    Again...why is it? They do many practical things during a school day. Would you wear a suit for cooking at home, painting or kicking a ball around?
    Ha! I'm sure children of school age are capable of putting on an apron or changing into a PE kit.

Talk about dumbing down...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Brize said:
    Ha! I'm sure children of school age are capable of putting on an apron or changing into a PE kit.

It's just modernity. You'll get used to it! ;) 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Brize said:

Well, I'll say something for it - at least the parents don't need to keep track of the days of the week. They can send little Chardonnay out into the world in her 'trackies' and trainers regardless of whether or not it's a school day.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    I certainly understand the need for some level of dress code as some of the site they may visit have such restrictions; if you're not dressed right, you can't get in.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Brize said:
    Brize said:

Well, I'll say something for it - at least the parents don't need to keep track of the days of the week. They can send little Chardonnay out into the world in her 'trackies' and trainers regardless of whether or not it's a school day.
    Little Chardonnay doesn't need to lug an alpine expedition rucksack around on her young shoulders either

Brize said:
    Brize said:

Little Chardonnay doesn't need to lug an alpine expedition rucksack around on her young shoulders either
    Yes, because millions of British schoolchildren were physically and mentally traumatised by having to carry around a PE kit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited June 2018
    We regressed to Victorian times around 2010,  have you not seen the rise in people sleeping rough and the out of nowhere need for food banks to prevent people from starving.  I think the schools approach is over the top and might even be sexist, but thats 2018 for you.
    Spot on, although you left out the fact that this happened under the Tories .... remember every decent person hates the Tories ... and the Victorians didn't have food banks. People were allowed to starve or were sent to the workhouse - Gove is looking at bringing them back post-Brexit. And yes it's over the top .. girls should be allowed to dress as if their auditioning for love island  .. breast implants and teeth whitening should mandatory and available on the NHS (Tory cuts prevent this). Boys can wear shorts and open shirts making it easier to go topless so the locals can see their body art .... they will need to know some popular football songs and offensive chants.

;-) :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4627
    Am in two minds about this. I went to a school without uniform but there was always a certain amount of bullying if somebody did not have the latest fashion.
    Yet my neighbours daughter goes to a Catholic all girls school which is very strict on uniform to the point that girls are not allowed to wear tights in winter or longer skirts.

Brize said:
    Yes, because millions of British schoolchildren were physically and mentally traumatised by having to carry around a PE kit.
    Plenty have had issues around shared changing rooms to be fair.

My daughter's bag is ridiculously heavy most days. Weighs more than my day pack for a mountain walk, and she's 12 and skinny.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346

Presumably, by their wording, boys can wear short skirts if they want to, and the girls can wear a football shirt saying "fuck the rules"? 
    You remind me of a young chap that came to work in the same place as me. He told me that a teacher at his school had told him to take his earring out, claiming it was "against the rules". Matey showed this teacher the rules, which clearly stated "Girls shall not wear earrings". Said nothing about boys ;)
    We had a kid in our class at school who was very advanced for his years.  He grew a full beard at 16. The head told him to shave it off but the kid pointed out it wasn’t in the rules. The kid got a lot of respect and admiration from his classmates for standing up for his rights but the teachers made his life hell in other ways. Won the battle but lost the war. 
    Legionreturns said:

Plenty have had issues around shared changing rooms to be fair. 
    I was picked on at school because of my massive willy but it hasn't done me any harm.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    School uniforms are good - they prevent competition between kids for the latest designer gear. My local school has a sensible policy - most of the girls wear grey trousers, sensible shoes, a white shirt and a green sweatshirt with the school logo although they can wear a skirt if they want to. The boys can wear the same although I've noted the blazer is back in fashion for both girls and boys. Can't see what all the fuss is about.

There was a documentary on TV about schools without a uniform policy which highlighted parents who spent over £1K a month on designer clothes for their kids. They went to school in this gear and bullied kids from poorer families. School uniform prevents that from happening.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:
    School uniforms are good - they prevent competition between kids for the latest designer gear. My local school has a sensible policy - most of the girls wear grey trousers, sensible shoes, a white shirt and a green sweatshirt with the school logo although they can wear a skirt if they want to. The boys can wear the same although I've noted the blazer is back in fashion for both girls and boys. Can't see what all the fuss is about.

There was a documentary on TV about schools without a uniform policy which highlighted parents who spent over £1K a month on designer clothes for their kids. They went to school in this gear and bullied kids from poorer families. School uniform prevents that from happening.
    I agree. Our uniform may be casual, but we don't allow fashion labels etc. Trainers have to be plain black, joggers can't have big logos on them etc. Essentially everyone wears the same thing because most of the flashy expensive stuff is covered in bling. 

• SporkySporky Frets: 27985
    Fretwired said:

So does bringing kids up not to be little shits. ;)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5356

As the son of a father who used to come home from work (suit, or slacks/shirt/tie) and go straight into the garage to fiddle with oily motorbikes, I decline to answer that question.
    Sporky said:
    Fretwired said:

So does bringing kids up not to be little shits. ;)
    No chance .. this is what you're up against ... DM spacial ..

• SporkySporky Frets: 27985
    I didn't say anyone was likely to do it, just that it was an alternative that'd work!

Most kids (citation required) manage not to be bullies after all so it's not impossible.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."