Jon Hiseman RIP

jdgmjdgm Frets: 850
edited June 2018 in Tributes
Master drummer Jon Hiseman passed away in the early hours of June 12th; he had been suffering from a brain tumour.
Hiseman came to prominence with John Mayall ("Bare Wires") and started Colosseum when Mayall broke the band up.
Colosseum featured Dick Heckstall-Smith, Clem Clempson (who replaced James Litherland) on guitar and later Chris Farlowe on vocals. I was fortunate enough to see them several times, including twice in this century; one of the best live acts I have ever seen.
When Clempson was asked to join Humble Pie, Hiseman immediately accepted that his guitarist couldn't pass the offer up and that led to the break-up of Colosseum. However Hiseman returned with Tempest (featuring Allan Holdsworth) and then Gary Moore in Colosseum II, and after that spent years in his wife Barbara Thompson's band - Paraphernalia. He was persuaded to reform Colosseum in 1994 and they played their final gig in 2015. His most recent project - apart from his biography - is the trio JCM; Jon, Clem, Mark (Clarke). The CD has only just been released. Hiseman is also the only drummer I can think of who has released a CD of drum solos - nothing else at all, just drum solos.
One of the very best; a great player and bandleader, he will be sorely missed.
RIP Jon, God bless you and thank you so much for the music which enriched my and many other lives.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 275
    This is a great shame as he was incredibly talented. I saw him in the later version of Colosseum and was amazed at his skills, and I don't play drums.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I've got the Tempest album and a couple of Colosseum II ones.

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    Really sorry to hear that, great drummer.  I had the first Colosseum album, really enjoyed it.  RIP.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Interesting that his death was actually reported at the beginning of the month ! . I love those Colossuem II albums and virtually wore the vinyl out whilst sitting down learning all the Gary Moore parts 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    The first I recall hearing Jon was with Colosseum when a young Gary Moore was with them - then later, on Andrew Lloyd Weber's Variations album - Then of course on certain tracks on Gary Moore's first solo album, back on the streets

RIP Jon
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I learned of Jon's passing only recently. A sad loss indeed, he was a huge talent. I am fortunate enough to possess most of the Colosseum LPs plus Electric Savage ... and a DVD of the 1994 gig on Cologne which evidenced lots of knockout musicianship. Oh yes, and I've got Variations!

RIP.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    Yet another of our great musical talents gone. Thanks for all the pleasure you brought and RIP.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    Saw the original line up a few times in the day - Christ, that was a while ago - and always liked them. A sad loss.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.