Not all speakers sound the same...

RockerRocker Frets: 4979
Quite obvious really but my attempts to make my bass sound 'louder' came to naught.  I use a Markbass Minimark 802 and connected a cab with an Eminence Alpha 12" speaker to the Markbass.  I like the Markbass sound but the combination did not work.  In fact awful is closer to the reality.  I used the DB sound level meter on my iPhone to check if the additional speaker made the sound louder.  It did, slightly, but tonally wrecked it.

We (our band) are playing a dancing gig this coming Sunday.  Dancing as in waltzes, foxtrots, jives, etc. and a set or two of general jump around dancing for those unable to waltz.  As the bass is key to getting people out to dance, I had hoped to sound louder and more prominent.  And our PA does not have bass bins so DI'ing is not an option.  Hoping I will be loud enough..... Wish me luck....
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    edited June 2018
    Was the Eminence speaker definitely in phase with the Markbass one? Although speakers are supposed to all be, there are exceptions...

If it was out of phase it would sound odd, and probably not good.

If it is in phase, try using a long speaker cable, and put the extension cab where the audience can hear it but you can’t! Use the Markbass as your personal monitor.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom