WORLD CUP 2018

What's Hot
munckeemunckee Frets: 12254
Right, I've given the wife and kids a picture of me so they don't forget me, packed my guitars away, drawn France in the office sweepstake, - its on!!!  I frickin love world cups.

I thought Germany were going to win until I drew France.  I think England play rubbish all tournament have one good game to beat Japan/Colombia and then get a lesson from Brazil/Germany.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I only enjoy world cups once England are out and the gutter press can concentrate on blaming the villain of the exit. 

Once that's done with, I fancy one if the African teams to be a surprise package and get to the semis or final. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Ive got Germany in the office sweepstake, but sod that! England to bring home the trophy and Harry Kane to get the Golden Boot**

**Disclaimer: The above opinion MAY be based entirely on the fact that it all starts tomorrow and im totally excited because it seems like forever that ive seen any football, and not based on any common sense whatsoever**
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12254
    I only enjoy world cups once England are out and the gutter press can concentrate on blaming the villain of the exit. 

Once that's done with, I fancy one if the African teams to be a surprise package and get to the semis or final. 
    My father in law has reached the state of nirvana and can watch England without getting worked up.  I watch every game I can in a world cup and enjoy all of them except for England games which I'm tense and irritable, its no surprise heart attacks and domestic violence cases shoot up during world cups. (not that I advocate wife beating obviously)
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Ahhh Spain

Sacking your manager one day before it starts

Not exactly the best start
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
    tFB Trader
    France and Germany don't have a good record in Russia - Admittedly that was in the winter

France and Belgium both have great sides - Not sure about Belgium's manager and the attitude of France - they can self destruct
    Argentina + Brazil both look strong in certain parts of the team 

Maybe an open tournament - which will be great - bring it on

Somehow think a young England team without the 'stars' will do better than expected - youth and team spirit
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Belgium are to me the old spain when they used to always have a great team and never do anything.  This might be the start of them putting something together though.

As for Spain that's a shambles isn't it.
    tFB Trader
    munckee said:
    Belgium are to me the old spain when they used to always have a great team and never do anything.  This might be the start of them putting something together though.

Probably agree on that thought - on paper a great side - Not sure what depth they have - But to be fair to Belgium, they don't have a strong league, as per La Liga, so overtime far less options to pick and build on - They occasionally have great players, but not often great teams - But this team does look special, with 2-3-4 players that could easily walk in to any side in the Champions League

As for Spain - sack the boss just before the players enter the tunnel - Something has gone on there - Suspect player revolt -Sounds like something the French would do
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    Just pulled Spain out of the work envelope. Pfft. I've got Serbia in another one. 

Very much looking forward to it though.. Very exciting. Tempted to buy a new Telly.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    I'm not excited by a World Cup for the first time in ages, but I'm sure that will all change the first time I hear World in Motion or 3 Lions tomorrow. 

ITS COMING HOME, FOOTBALL'S COMING HOME
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    I always throw a fiver on Argentina. I may have to up it to a tenner this time round. I think they're 9/1. worth a dabble. 
    Must admit i love the world cup . I just wish England would turn up and do something.
    My favourite thing is getting lost in it, finding yourself cheering equador or north korea on just because they are the underdog.  Staying inside all weekend watching football while its 25 degrees outside!
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I plan to miss every game and play guitar instead
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2018 tFB Trader
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43956267

Only 9 teams have lost a world cup - final - name all 9 - do the above quiz

I got 8 - and to be honest the one I got wrong I would not have got right with another 10 guesses
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited June 2018
    munckee said:

As for Spain - sack the boss just before the players enter the tunnel - Something has gone on there - Suspect player revolt -Sounds like something the French would do
    Real Madrid have hired him as their next manager and stupidly issued a press release to that effect. The head of the Spanish FA was pissed off so sacked him. The players want him to stay. The manager was going to resign after the WC.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    Clarky said:
    I plan to miss every game and play guitar instead
    I actually have to give a guitar lesson next Monday night when the England vs Tunisia game is on!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Fretwired said:
    munckee said:

Real Madrid have hired him as their next manager and stupidly issued a press release to that effect. The head of the Spanish FA was pissed off so sacked him. The players want him to stay. The manager was going to resign after the WC.
    seen full story now - initially just heard a snap comment on the radio 
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244

Not sure I'm going to do well in the office sweepstake...

Still, it's the taking part that counts.

Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    Nikko said:
    Ive got Germany in the office sweepstake, but sod that! England to bring home the trophy and Harry Kane to get the Golden Boot**

I gave upon office sweepstakes thanks to the 2002 WC. Played 3 lost 3 scored 0 conceded 12. Statistically one of the worst tournament performances ever. 

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4663
    Stuck a tenner on Suarez for the Golden Boot at 25/1 just for shits and giggles. 
    Im Scottish so the World Cup mainly involves me supporting whoever is playing Engerlund 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    I hope England do well. If only to punch the nose of those who criticised Southgate on his squad selection.

The hardest part of winning the World Cup is qualifying for the Finals. Only a few teams that make it to the Finals have a realistic chance of winning the tournament. My fancy is Argentina to win, England to go out fighting in the Semis...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom