WORLD CUP 2018

What's Hot

Comments

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    The ref was probably secretly Tunisian. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
    I think the ref on the field should be sent off if he ignores the VAR.  In fact, the VAR refs should have buttons to high-voltage underpants on the field ref.  If he ignores their advice, BZZZZZZZT.

The same for all the players who dive and feign injury.

I'd turn the game in an electric-bollock version of Rollerball.  Imagine that.....   I'm definitely onto something here.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    They should put tracking chips in the ball and all of the players shoes so they know exactly where everything is in relation to the lines. 
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited June 2018
    LoFi said:
    Emp_Fab said: 
    But the point is that "we" all saw Kane being mauled as it happened, and it was even more obvious in the replays. The VAR has access to the feeds we see and more besides, so it beggars belief that no action was taken.

People accept that refs make mistakes, which is why VAR has been introduced. There's a lot less of an excuse for VAR to make a mistake.
    In the game, VAR indicated a penalty in the box for a foul on Kane (which it was) and the ref just ignored it.  No point in having it. 
    should the ref be penalised somehow for not referring to VAR for those incidents?
    because if not, the technology is pointless, and the avenue remains open to biased ref'ing

EDIT: maybe there should be a comms link to the ref to enable the VAR guys to be able to notify the ref when a serious incident has occurred that he's not spotted..
    in that case England would have been awarded 2 penalties and Tunisia would have a few hello or even red cards..
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1468
    Another "big"(ish) team who were on "swashbuckling form" heading into the World Cup, upset by the (on paper) weakest team in the group. 

Japan were all over Colombia for the majority of the game that I saw...fair bloody play to them. This is why the world cup is awesome. 

Oh and as has been pointed out to all those grumpy cunts moaning about England's performance even though we won...we won. Many teams throughout history have won games by not being the best (see Celtic beating Barca in the CL a few years ago). Im not saying we're going all the way, but lets just see what happens before we start tearing them apart, eh? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    joneve said:
    Another "big"(ish) team who were on "swashbuckling form" heading into the World Cup, upset by the (on paper) weakest team in the group. 

Japan were all over Colombia for the majority of the game that I saw...fair bloody play to them. This is why the world cup is awesome. 

Oh and as has been pointed out to all those grumpy cunts moaning about England's performance even though we won...we won. Many teams throughout history have won games by not being the best (see Celtic beating Barca in the CL a few years ago). Im not saying we're going all the way, but lets just see what happens before we start tearing them apart, eh? 

Colombia were missing Rodriguez.  That would be like Portugal missing Ronaldo Smugface.

They also had a player sent off early on.

edited June 2018
    crunchman said:
    joneve said:

Colombia were missing Rodriguez.  That would be like Portugal missing Ronaldo Smugface.

Still lost though, as I recall? I've seen teams down to 10 men in the past still beat weaker opponents...They were still the favoured side, even with a man down
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    joneve said:
    crunchman said:
    joneve said:

Still lost though, as I recall? I've seen teams down to 10 men in the past still beat weaker opponents...They were still the favoured side, even with a man down

Take Rodriguez out of the Columbia side though and they are a completely different team.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Made the kids listen to world in motion, 3 lions and vindaloo before the game.  My daughter watched first half, my autistic son dipped in and out and wanted to wear an England shirt like I had on, I offered him mine, he said no.  I said I will get him one for the next game.

Comes home from school today they have made shirts for a parade on Friday, he made this:
    https://i.imgur.com/vGeMjeO.jpg
    Worlds worst dad right here...
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    This made me chuckle:

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902

Well I didn't see that one coming!  Well played, Senegal.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited June 2018
    Emp_Fab said:
    I think the ref on the field should be sent off if he ignores the VAR.  In fact, the VAR refs should have buttons to high-voltage underpants on the field ref.  If he ignores their advice, BZZZZZZZT.

I'd turn the game in an electric-bollock version of Rollerball.  Imagine that.....   I'm definitely onto something here.

Fact check time (via FIFA):

Kane incident one - seen by the ref and definitely a penalty had Stones not pushed a defender out of the way first which should have been a free-kick against England. Had a goal been scored it would have been disallowed. Two incidents cancelled each other out - play on.

Kane incident two - again seen by ref. Kane was aggressor as he held the arm of the defender before he was pushed over.

FIFA view. Ref was 100 per cent correct.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    munckee said:
    Made the kids listen to world in motion, 3 lions and vindaloo before the game.  My daughter watched first half, my autistic son dipped in and out and wanted to wear an England shirt like I had on, I offered him mine, he said no.  I said I will get him one for the next game.

Comes home from school today they have made shirts for a parade on Friday, he made this:
    https://i.imgur.com/vGeMjeO.jpg
    Worlds worst dad right here...
    Love that
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited June 2018
    I'm enjoying Egypt Vs Russia. There's some good football here.

I must say though, it's all about the headgear and those Pharoah pieces are fab! The Russian ones aren't bad, too ;)
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    ^^ True.  None of the "hitting the deck because someone looked at me wrong" nonsense.

Also with you on the Pharaoh headgear!

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3852
    Karma for the shirt pulling idiot who slotted in his own net. Lolololololol.
    Fretwired said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Kane incident one - seen by the ref and definitely a penalty had Stones not pushed a defender out of the way first which should have been a free-kick against England. Had a goal been scored it would have been disallowed. Two incidents cancelled each other out - play on.

Kane incident two - again seen by ref. Kane was aggressor as he held the arm of the defender before he was pushed over.

First I agree with, second is a load of bollocks 
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    joneve said:
    Fretwired said:
    Emp_Fab said:

^ gotta agree with the second one being bollocks.  Is that the one where Kane ended up being ridden like a horse?  Just because he was trying to dislodge the arm of the defender (quite what the point of holding onto one's defender deliberately is, I've no idea).

Would be interesting to see the link that explains all of the above (if there is one).  I thought they didn't usually comment on referees' decisions, although a number of news outlets are saying they may have a press conference to discuss it after the group stages have finished.

And another load of commentators are saying VAR is toothless and shit also.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    edited June 2018
    Disappointing for Scotland, losing 2-1 last night to a late Harry Kane header, but good luck to them in their next match on sunday against England.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    joneve said:
    Fretwired said:
    Emp_Fab said:

No it isn't. Kane is banged to rights. He grabbed the defender and spun him round. England haven't complained about either incident.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!