Pete Cornish - Worth It ?

What's Hot

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9513
    That's a great offer. We're not too far away. I'm in the Black Country !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107

allicio said:
    No offence to anyone who has one and I'm sure there incredible! But am I the only person that thinks there ugly as fuck??
    No.

For the money paid, I'd expect something beyond ZVex levels of artistry.

I always thought zvex justified cost with artwork alone, not to mention the fact they make some pretty innovative and bizarre circuits. 
    I must be the only one who thinks that it's ridiculous paying a premium for artwork that resembles the average playschool painting session then. 

• allicioallicio Frets: 221
    Heartfeltdawn;201636" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

allicio said:

No offence to anyone who has one and I'm sure there incredible! But am I the only person that thinks there ugly as fuck??

No.

I always thought zvex justified cost with artwork alone, not to mention the fact they make some pretty innovative and bizarre circuits. 

I must be the only one who thinks that it's ridiculous paying a premium for artwork that resembles the average playschool painting session then. 
    Heartfeltdawn;201636" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

allicio said:

No.

I like the laura bennett ones

CC-1 quick update...

Played for only 5 mins - MIND BLOWING !!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    crunchman said:
    I built myself a clone of the Cornish buffer.  It does seem to make everything sound better. 

Details here although I did it on stripboard and sourced the parts myself:

http://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Cream_Buff_guitar_signal_buffer/p847124_8506552.aspx
    Yeah I built the Pedalparts Cornish Buffer too, have to say I really like it - for fear of descending into pseudo-technical mumbo-jumbo, it feels like it does something nice to the midrange and treble - clarity, but not too bright.
  • xwolf5150xwolf5150 Frets: 180
    Never mind all the chat. ... where's the video demo of that awesome board ??????
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30874
    edited April 2014
    Waz

Re your q about the Cornish stuff and differences between the G2 and SS3 have just finished cleaning this up

First bit is the G2 stacked into the CC1 second bit is the SS3 also into CC1  (CC1 is set very light dirt. c. 40% but with the mid almost maxed)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Great tones James. Really great.

You cynics out there, and I've been one myself in the past... well, you are SO wrong. Completely shocked by this pedal.

All the others will be going me thinks.

Full review later on in the week...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    Gassage said:
    First bit is the G2 stacked into the CC1 second bit is the SS3 also into CC1  (CC1 is set very light dirt. c. 40% but with the mid almost maxed)

Is that going through an amp, or recorded direct?

I can really hear the Gilmour-type tone in the SS3, but for me I think I prefer the first part. Does that mean I need to buy *two* Cornish pedals?! Although it's a bit too middy for me, so does the G2 by itself do most of it apart from that?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited April 2014

ICBM said:
    Gassage said:

Is that going through an amp, or recorded direct?

I can really hear the Gilmour-type tone in the SS3, but for me I think I prefer the first part. Does that mean I need to buy *two* Cornish pedals?! Although it's a bit too middy for me, so does the G2 by itself do most of it apart from that?
    Mic'd amp- Twinolux > Shure SM57, into Cubebase and Cubasis via Alesis iO Dock

Then cleaned up my a mate of mine as I am hopeless at recording.

The answer to you question is like a venn diargam....the G2 will do about 35% of the SS3's top range if that makes sense.

My comparisons would be an MXR Distortion + for the SS3 and a Skreddy Lunar or a Suhr Riot for the G2, but none of those has the separation I can hear in PC stuff.

I ordered a TES again.

You bastards.
    EDIT- don't forget the CC1 is on on both of those as an EQ mid boost.

• I preferred the first tone, but both were nice. They should be, for the money! That would buy me a hand wired amp, and change for a big muff...

I have to admit though, it was a stellar tone. I don't think it's a unique one, only available from those pedals, but it does sound like a very good version of the 'drive pedal going into a drive pedal' sound.
    edited April 2014
    @theprettydamned

I confess to being a luddite

I'm really into dead simple tones and approachs. I can't programme and I'm hopeless at anything remotely digital. I kind of can find a tone so easy on Pete's stuff cos I've had it since 2007 (my P2 which now is used by Dave Fowler in the Aussie Floyd show).

I just love the sheer range of usability. I've not said anywhere here that you can't get the tones in cheaper stuff, but the clarity of the drive I can find in the pedals when I crank them is really something I've struggled to find in others, even Lazy J and Skreddy. And especially the piece of horse shit called a Timmy!

The only other drive pedal I've loved is the Euphoria and I'd love to try the other Wampler stuff.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    Gassage said:
    Mic'd amp- Twinolux > Shure SM57, into Cubebase and Cubasis via Alesis iO Dock

My comparisons would be an MXR Distortion + for the SS3 and a Skreddy Lunar or a Suhr Riot for the G2, but none of those has the separation I can hear in PC stuff.

EDIT- don't forget the CC1 is on on both of those as an EQ mid boost.
    Ah, I didn't realise until I checked back that the CC1 was on the SS3 as well - you edited it while I was listening to the clip :).

What 'normal' pedals is the G2 closer to? (Not familiar with either of those two, and haven't heard them except in clips which I haven't liked.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Gassage;202596" said:
    @theprettydamned

I confess to being a luddite

I'm really into dead simple tones and approachs. I can't programme and I'm hopeless at anything remotely digital. I kind of can find a tone so easy on Pete's stuff cos I've had it since 2007 (my P2 which now is used by Dave Fowler in the Aussie Floyd show).

I just love the sheer range of usability. I've not said anywhere here that you can't get the tones in cheaper stuff, but the clarity of the drive I can find in the pedals when I crank them is really something I've struggled to find in others, even Lazy J and Skreddy. And especially the piece of horse shit called a Timmy!

The only other drive pedal I've loved is the Euphoria and I'd love to try the other Wampler stuff.
    Oh course not mate, not knocking you. And a recording doesn't really represent the way a sound... Er... Feels.

Shit, I'm going TGP on you!

There is something in it, though. I've just commented on the ehx thread saying I prefer the germanium 4 muff as a low gain od to the double muff, and it's not that is sounds massively better, but it just responds differently and in a way I like.

If you've got that, and it's saved you hundreds on other drive pedals over the years, it's a winner in my books.

And like I said, the tone was stellar. The playing was nice, too, plenty of gilmour style in there.
    edited April 2014
    @ICBM

G2- for me the nearest is the upper reaches of the Euphoria for the lower reaches of the G2

Then the Skreddy Lunar. That pedal is truly awesome. 99% as good as a G2 and will go dirtier than a G2.

Have a look at this:

The outro solo is PURE G2 with a but of BK Butler Tube Driver and only the TES for the delay

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11507n_pink-floyd-comfortably-numb-2005-concert-live8_music

Just a thought-

If  wanted to do this on the cheap, I'd get the two pedals above, a Cornish buffer in the front and an EP Booster with a midhump at the end. So....£175+ £175+£150+£120= £620. One G2!!!

And a decent compressor and an old model T Rex Replica for the dalays.

Just a note...

The service from Pete has been exceptional. Even the way the pedal is boxed and wrapped, is an exercise in perfection !

G-2 arriving tomorrow....

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2014
    Just a note...

The service from Pete has been exceptional. Even the way the pedal is boxed and wrapped, is an exercise in perfection !

G-2 arriving tomorrow....

I\ll see you in the financial rehab clinic!!

edited April 2014
    All your fault matey....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2014
    Gents- if any of you are running a Timeline or a Mobius and like the clips I have the following patches I have done and am happy to email them if someone tells me how!

On my most clips the CE2 post is the dominant modulation, and on C Numb there's a dash of Leslie Post.

TL:
    Echoplex
    Binson
    TC2290
    MXR Rack
    DMM
    U2 type thing with loads of cascades.

Mobius:
    Univbe Pre delay (so on root note as well as trails)
    Univibe Post (only on trails)
    Leslie Pre and Post
    CE2 Pre and Post
    Phaser for the Wish You Were Here sounds- SOYCD and Have A CIgar
    Electric Mistess Wall
    Electric Mistress Andy Summers
    BF2 Robert Smith/Cure

PM me if you want them (with instructions on how you mail them!)