Doobie valve amplifier

What's Hot
ecc83ecc83 Frets: 820

Son just asked about one from France on a bad phone link in a car with 13 other  French people who sounded pissed so all I got was "Doobie, amp, valve".

A Google shows it might be collectable?

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 196
    Alternatively he coulda been saying he bought a valve amp while stonned :lol: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 820
    mr-mac said:
    Alternatively he coulda been saying he bought a valve amp while stonned :lol: 

No, HE was quite sober but it was hard to hear because of the rest.

Dave.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 32686
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."

Good grief IC! Those are an assault to the senses and good taste! I was rather hoping someone knew if they sounded ok, were reliable and what second hand stuff was worth? Guess I shall have to wait for a model number from him. Don't hold yer breaths chaps!

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 32686
    I think I’ve also seen the name on a couple of old 1970s or possibly early-80s Japanese ‘Boogie style’ amps, but as far as I know those were all solid-state. It’s not impossible some were valve, I don’t know - the most common Boogie copy that is is the ‘Mesia’ by Zoom-Aidean... I’ve never been able to find out if they’re related to the modern Zoom company, but it wouldn’t surprise me!
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    ICBM said:
    I think I’ve also seen the name on a couple of old 1970s or possibly early-80s Japanese ‘Boogie style’ amps, but as far as I know those were all solid-state. It’s not impossible some were valve, I don’t know - the most common Boogie copy that is is the ‘Mesia’ by Zoom-Aidean... I’ve never been able to find out if they’re related to the modern Zoom company, but it wouldn’t surprise me!

Ah! So you think the name might be a form of "passing off" in the hope that people think of Boogie? Never occurred to me!

BTW. When I posted a question about loopers*  I got reminder emails as you helpful peeps chirped in. Why am I not getting similar updates about Doobie?

*jam Man coming TODAY!

Dave.

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 1001
    Oh wow, the amps look really cool,like 1960's robots :) 

Not so keen on the guitars, but amps look super duper!
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 173
    edited June 14
    As per IC the only Doobie I remember was a small solid state Japanese one that had a genuine spring Reverb. On the very rare chance it is this model, I still have a couple of NOS output chips (Toshiba I think) which anyone is welcome to have.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 3314
    edited June 16
    ICBM said:
    I think I’ve also seen the name on a couple of old 1970s or possibly early-80s Japanese ‘Boogie style’ amps, but as far as I know those were all solid-state.
    At least one of these appears in the HarrySeven collection.
    "It's no wonder the Pacific Ocean is blue."
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 3348
    ICBM said:
    As @Funkfingers states, one *did* appear in the H7 stash - compact, solid-state, Boogie knock-off aesthetic.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 3348

However, on another (related) topic, I am actively looking for one of the Mesia Aidean Zoom jobs...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 7168
    There was the Frank Sinatra signature model, the Doobie Doobie Doo Strangers in the Night edition. 
    Dum dum dum, dum dum de dum, dum dum dum, dum dummmm.