One spot failure

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
When I set up at rehearsal last night my one spot power supply died - no sound and all the pedals had the led’s flashing.   Simple board with a Keeley compressor, boss chorus and tech 21 vt di. Connected with a daisy chain.    
Connecting the one spot to straight to pedals and same result on each one so it’s definitely the cause.

I assume it’s just had enough and wants replacing but I thought they were pretty reliable - has anyone had a similar issue?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Been using the same one for about 8 years, and it's been rock solid except for the occasional hum/buzz with some disagreeable digital pedals. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    I’ve seen a couple of dead ones. Like any cheap modern manufactured product you will get some with parts at the low end of the tolerance range which fail. Not repairable - buy another one, or a better product.

I have to say I’m not a fan of any of these very-high-current single supplies, they’re capable of overriding the protection circuits in most pedals if something goes wrong, which can destroy the pedal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited June 2018
    I had one that died - it was the cable breaking inside the sheath. I was glad to have the opportunity / excuse to replace it, to be honest, I never really liked it.
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Sure it’s not the daisy chain lead?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    viz said:
    Sure it’s not the daisy chain lead?
    Same problem going direct without the chain so it’s dead.    I was just surprised at the nature of the fault - usually power supplies work or don’t.  I’ve never seen one act like that.  
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Mine died after a fall from a shelf. Fine until then.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    Mine died after a fall from a shelf. Fine until then.

Does that mean there's a problem with the shelf life...?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    I had one rolled up underneath my pedalboard and it died when I took it off. I think the cable broke somewhere.
    The other one I had it's been running strong for 7 or 8 years.
    I also have two other power supplies that work has good with my pedalboard. One is from a Line6 Relay G30 and the other from a Boss MS-3.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    edited June 2018
    Quick update, and I bought a cheap Caline supply,  looks a little better than the previous version they did but for £25 it was worth a try.    Used it yesterday under a PT metro16 powering a G30 receiver, polytune, keeley comp, ce2 and vt bass di and it worked great with zero noise or interference.