Cacked my arm feckin proper!

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 3107
Fell 5 foot off a stepladder and landed on my right shoulder managing not only to dislocate the bugger but shatter the top of my humerus as well. Holy feck the pain was unbelievable and I had to endure a bumpy hour long trip in a ambulance cos the county hospital decided the damage was too great for them to cope with so I had to be admitted to Stoke hospital. The painkillers I was given had almost no effect at all. It's pretty scary when the CT scanner people announced that the damage was spectacular!
It was 27 hours before they could get me into surgery. Finally back home with 3 metal plates in my shoulder and months of physio to look forward to. I was really lucky that the nerves in my right hand were not damaged.
The nursing staff at Stoke were wonderful and funny too and the upbeat humour of the chaps who were on my ward was humbling.
I wouldn't have coped with the pain and fear if wasn't for those folks.
So now I'm stuck trying to type with my left hand and figuring out how I'm going to start playing guitar again.
I've got an inkling of what Les Paul had to go through!
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 8882
    Ouch! Hope all gets better quickly. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 1564
    Sounds horrendous!

I fell from a step ladder last year while cutting a tree branch, but flat onto my back and only cracked a few ribs. I count myself lucky, it could have been much worse.

Get well soon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 936
    Damn! Hope you heal quick man. 
    Glad the nerves are ok too. 

But fell off a ladder?
    Right hand? 

Yeah yeah.. 

Impressive though dude, as far as wank injurys go ;P 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 467
    Stay healthy - if you smoke stop!!!!!! You'll get back to guitar I'm sure.  Follow rehab to the letter

best wishes
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1246
    Tell the physio people you are a climber or something; otherwise they seem to think "can lift a cup of tea" is job done.

Good healing, man!
    My band: Hedge Gods
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 385
    That sounds horrendous - best wishes for a good recovery.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 5989
    eeeep, that sucks. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 3807
    Hope you’re better soon. I’ve dislocated my right shoulder a few times and can sympathise with just how much it hurts. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    It might look like I'm listening to you, but in my head I'm playing my guitar.
  • oafoaf Frets: 165
    Get well soon! That sounds awful, glad you are on the mend.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 693
    Falling off a regular ladder? I heard it was falling off a truck while kung fooing terrorists on a truck filled with explosives going down the M6?

And this was done trying to get a promotion at the ole spy agency and falling off the corporate ladder?

Much better story. Your welcome :)

And glad you're ok, a 5 ft fall could have been worse. Get well soon.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 1263
    At least your hand is ok. Maybe try a bit of fingerpicking. Doesn’t require a lot of arm movement...ish

hope the healing goes well. 
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 8447
    shit man, hope you recover quick - I dislocated my right shoulder by about 3" and cracked the ball joint in 2 when the Suzuki I was riding spat me off on a long sweeping bend. It was about 6 months before I could get on a bike again, probably 4 months before I could drive a car or play a guitar. Can't windmill like Pete Townshend any more.

Don't annoy the physios. They know how to cause pain.

All the best.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1403
    Ouch!  good luck with the recovery
  • SeshSesh Frets: 785
    Crikey. Looks like you'll have to practice your legato for a while...
    Hope the recovery goes well.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 2145
    Forget the guitar, you need to prioritise things here. Wankplan & Arse Wiping Strategy are your starting points. Good luck!
    # Previously Stevieb76 on the old Music Radar #
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • rlwrlw Frets: 1507
    Fortunately I have spent my life so far avoiding shit like this and after reading your post I aim to continue.

GWS
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 1994
    Oh, mate, that sounds horrible - get well soon.

Grown most uncommonly fat!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 30909
    Ouch. But look on the bright side... falling off ladders is the most common cause of DIY fatalities.

Take it as it goes and don't try to get back to normal too soon!
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 403
    As you say, there'll be lots of physio. Also do the exercises they recommend regularly at home. You might find it helps to take some painkillers before going to physiology - particularly the earlier sessions. Don't get disheartened, as progress may not only be gradual, but it's likely to be many months before you know the final result of all the treatment, and your own efforts. 
  • ICBM said:
     DIY fatalities.

Sounds like a good name for a band
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 1340
    Ouch. Here's to a quick and full recovery.

All the best
     www.cairoeast.co.uk - Madness Tribute band (Bass Player) and guitarist elsewhere
    Feedback - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57885/
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 1132
    Pics?
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 557
    Sounds grim! Hope the recovery is as speedy and painless as possible. Take care (and get someone else to do the DIY in future - you are a musician, you can’t afford such disruption to your craft!). 

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 3107
    Thanks folks for all the good advice.

Currently on slow release Morphine tablets to help with the pain but not getting much sleep as I cannot get comfortable at night unless I'm sat upright.
    I tried to play my SG yesterday, what with it being light and having a thin body.. but nope.. too early to do that. Perhaps this a good opportunity to learn the position of all the notes on the fretboard.

I've got an outpatient appointment on the 26th, but apart from a sheet on physio exercises, I've not been given any advice on managing the post surgery wound and it's dressing.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 3276
    Been a bad 12 months for me too, 2 broken ribs, broken humerus, frozen shoulder.  Odd that it's the musculature frozen shoulder that is the bastid - it's taking months longer than the fractures to heal. A good Osteo/Physio will be invaluable.

good luck and get well soon !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 2572
    edited June 16
    Jalapeno said:
    Been a bad 12 months for me too, 2 broken ribs, broken humerus, frozen shoulder.  Odd that it's the musculature frozen shoulder that is the bastid - it's taking months longer than the fractures to heal. A good Osteo/Physio will be invaluable.

The soft tissues around the shoulder can definitely take longer to improve than the bone which, if all goes well, can be effectively as good as new within 6 weeks or thereabouts. 

Funnily enough I managed to get some shoulder jip around Christmas and like any patient I dutifully ignored it and hoped it would go away.  By March I was in pain and losing range of movement so thought I'm gonna need to sort this.  I went off on one wild goose chase with a mis- self-diagnosis, then sussed what the problems really were, changed exercises and it's actually quite impressive how quickly the pain went, strength returned, and range of movement came back.  I'm still chasing the last 5% but a massive improvement which kicked in as soon as I was loading the soft tissues in a useful way. 

• BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 467
    Jalapeno said:

good luck and get well soon !
    Had a frozen shoulder that last 5 months I sympathise is Fin agony. No sleep!
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 936
    equalsql said:
    Thanks folks for all the good advice.

Currently on slow release Morphine tablets to help with the pain but not getting much sleep as I cannot get comfortable at night unless I'm sat upright.
    I tried to play my SG yesterday, what with it being light and having a thin body.. but nope.. too early to do that. Perhaps this a good opportunity to learn the position of all the notes on the fretboard.

I've got an outpatient appointment on the 26th, but apart from a sheet on physio exercises, I've not been given any advice on managing the post surgery wound and it's dressing.

Pretty much the same as me and my dads recent surgeries. Seems like they dont like you touching, cleaning or changing it much these days. I thought that was dirty and invited infection. Call the hospital to check. They’ll usually tell you to make a nurse appointment at your gp in x amount of days/weeks to have it done. 

I had to travel miles away cos none of my local gp nurses had an appointment within 3 weeks. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • shugzshugz Frets: 496
    Very best of luck to you. I fell out of a loft and did the very same about 16 years ago. More metal in my top left than Ozzy.

Hope recovery goes well, in my case I only got 2 physio sessions on the nhs. Probably better than most but I ended up just lifting tins of beans and soup whilst trying to get stronger. I still don't think that arm is as strong but I did make a recovery and whilst not typing this from a monogrammed helicopter, kept playing and have had a load of musical adventures since. And yes, the utter barstewards I've been in bands with since have let me help carry the Ampeg 8x10....

Onwards.

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1416
    Other people will make light of this situation but I don’t find it very humerus. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter