Windows updates....

What's Hot
WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
I am curious to discover why Microsoft is so aggressively insistent upon my having their updates? There has been a nag screen come up every day about restarting my computer and it hasn't been convenient as I have been working. They started off by the usual 'start now' or 'remind me later' malarkey but just now, they upped the ante by asking me to nominate a time or restart now.

This is a real intrusion into my workflow and I was wondering if Microsoft have another darker reason for their insistence? I think I can safely assume that MS don't give a flying frig about me as an individual and, as most corporations do, would only consider their own well being.

I'm probably being stupidly paranoid and seeing a conspiracy where there is none. I always keep my tech up to date but I like to do it when I decide.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Once upon a time a Windoze "update" totally knacked up my machine. These days I only install updates if I think they are going to keep me out of trouble.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    Turn them off. Switch your internet settings to 'metered connection' and you don't get the auto updates. 

Not all of the updates are due to Microsoft software flaws. Remember the ol' Intel problems...

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/12/patch_tuesday_microsoft_june_2018/

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited June 2018
    Because unpatched workstations are a security threat. If you care about your data, you would update your machines. If you care about your data on other peoples machines, you should want those updated too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Beware .. they can screw your system up. We lost two PC's. Had to have a clean install of the OS.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    Imagine how long Microsoft would last if they didn't bother patching security issues as soon as they're made aware of them. There are entities constantly trying to find a new ways of hacking the OS, if Windows didn't get any more updates because Microsoft were afraid it annoyed people they'd be obliterated.

That's not to say some updates aren't annoying. Anyone else got the sudden appearance of a new drive partition that Windows insists on telling you is running out of disk space every 5 minutes?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PabloPablo Frets: 38
    The big change to Windows Update with Windows 10 is the use of "Feature Updates" every 6 months. These are effectively a re-install of Windows. Instead of future installs requiring 150+updates or service packs, it will simply "update" to the newest version.

That's why they're aggressively pushing them - to keep as many people as possible on a minimum viable version. There are exceptions, but that's the gist of it.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    I’m sure they do it just to specifically piss you off.

Can’t think of any other reasons why a software provider would bother pushing patches for one of its products, no sir, none at all.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Pablo said:
     Instead of future installs requiring 150+updates or service packs, it will simply "update" to the newest version.

It isn't such a big change. Service Packs contained feature updates too, but people use to disable/ignore them.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4612
    It is MS pushing us to a cloud subscription model. Notice how functionality of a lot of app in windows has reduced (media players with local content, lack of DVD support).
    But also security holes that are being found that nobody could have foreseen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    I'm a system admin and I'm glad they bother to patch their stuff. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    The trouble is there’s a lot that can go wrong during an update ...  permissions can become corrupt, services can refuse to start, drivers can be updated to incompatible versions. The shop I work for gets around 20 machines a week screwed by Win 10 updates ... I’m pleased for the owner as it pays his mortgage but when I have to actually cover the shop and sort that shit out myself it’s mind numbingly boring and makes me want to throw the machines out the window. 
    I don’t activate my own version of 10 it seems to install a lot less updates if you don’t activate it 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    PC_Dave said:
    I’m sure they do it just to specifically piss you off.

Can’t think of any other reasons why a software provider would bother pushing patches for one of its products, no sir, none at all.
    Haha, no I'm certain they're not and I can certainly see the value in keeping security patches up to date but a lot of time it'll be a new screensaver or a game they've added.

What I need is a 'feck off and don't bother me again with this shit' button. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Wolfetone said:
    What I need is a 'feck off and don't bother me again with this shit' button. 
    Switch off the update service.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    You could always install XP instead.  You won't get bothered about updates for that.

You'll probably have half of the world poking around your hard drive within a week, but hey... No updates !
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • themeinsidethemeinside Frets: 218
    Almost lost a whole PC thanks to a recent update- got away with only losing system settings etc.- basically just a reset of the OS but preserving personal files. Scared the living b'Jezuz out of me though. Never liked being coerced into updates- now i'm doubly careful!
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited June 2018
    Turn them off. Switch your internet settings to 'metered connection' and you don't get the auto updates.

Depends what Win10 build you have.  MS changed it (in build 1703 I think) so that certain updates will still occur even with a metered connection.  Needless to say it's MS who decide which updates that applies to.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    siremoon said:

Depends what Win10 build you have.  MS changed it (in build 1703 I think) so that certain updates will still occur even with a metered connection.  Needless to say it's MS who decide which updates that applies to.
    Windows 10 Pro here. The metered connection non-update trick did get reset by the last feature update, which was 1803, but a a simple click back to metered connection sorted that. 

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

Sounds just like my iphone, new IOS every few weeks, I always end up rushing for something and then have to put my code in and tell it when It needs to be updated.  Pretty much all modern tech needs this, Windows just has a much bigger task covering a multitude of different make and spec machines.

Currently looking for a new decent laptop, threads like this put me off windows but then again whilst MAC OS might be much more stable, I'd end up with the worry that if a MacBook pro key goes it would cost £600 to repair.

• gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    edited June 2018 tFB Trader
    Has MS sorted the conflict that W10 had with the OS being on an SSD but other connected drives being disk drives? That broke my system (I think on the first anniversary update?) and I rolled back to W7.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    It is MS pushing us to a cloud subscription model. Notice how functionality of a lot of app in windows has reduced (media players with local content, lack of DVD support).
    But also security holes that are being found that nobody could have foreseen.
    Are you being sold a vdi solution?
    No you're not.

Ms media player has never supported DVD play back. At least I don't recall it on 98/2000/2003/XP and possibly Vista. Just use vlc player 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.