Blenders

What's Hot
DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
I've been reading about the Nutribullet 900 as I'm thinking of starting a heavy green smoothie regime every day while I'm at work - I'm not big on eating my greens but together with bits of fruit and ginger I reckon I could have no trouble guzzling it down. Would also come in handy for soups and milkshakes.

However I'm now torn between which blender to go for. There's obviously the Nutribullet range but then there's so many more out there. I just need something that is suitable for 1-2 people, easy to clean, powerful, reliable with blades that don't break after a week and not too expensive (somewhere around £150 or so would be my absolute limit). Throw us your suggestions people.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    I've been using the standard (not high-power) Nutribullet for almost a year every other day or so and it's been really good so far. Ticks all your boxes. 

Mostly settled on wazzing up a banana/spinach/almond milk thing with added fruity bits as and when, and it's great.

I don't do more than a sprinkle of seeds and the like though as it tends to come out a bit claggy. 
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    KKJale said:
    I've been using the standard (not high-power) Nutribullet for almost a year every other day or so and it's been really good so far. Ticks all your boxes. 

Mostly settled on wazzing up a banana/spinach/almond milk thing with added fruity bits as and when, and it's great.

I don't do more than a sprinkle of seeds and the like though as it tends to come out a bit claggy. 
    Cool - is that the 600w version? I've been tempted by that but have heard reports that it can struggle with ice and other harder items?
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Yes, the 600. I don't do ice as it happens... with half the ingredients from the fridge that's cold enough for me. For you the 900's probably a good idea. 
  • I use the standard nutri bullet every morning for fruit smoothies, and to make pasta sauces etc its great.

As long as you clean it as soon as you’ve used it, otherwise it will go smelly and scummy.
    I generally replace the blade every 6 months ish.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Just get one of these, soomthies to any kind of food blending. I've had mine for two years and used it everyday without issue. Blends in ice and nuts no problem. I did a lot of googling and this was the best option.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CI32S2U/ref=asc_df_B00CI32S2U53168858/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22110&creativeASIN=B00CI32S2U&linkCode=df0&hvadid=256011645564&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17469641383552461077&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006884&hvtargid=pla-422650887073&th=1&psc=1
  • I bought the Mrs a Nutribullet. So far, all she's made with it is cocktails. Probably not what it was designed for. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited June 2018
    i think any reputable brand (Braun, Kenwood, etc) rated 600w and over will do the job.

i like a glass jug as I'm generally plastic-phobic when it comes to food & drink, but if you are carrying it around maybe that's not practical.

i think a lot of the fuss being made about the nutribullet & clones is just hype. i read the side of the box on the bullet & it was saying ridiculous things like 'smashes through husks, destroys seeds, etc, etc".
    it's all just advertising noise to reframe mushing up vegetables as a 'macho & heroic' pursuit. even the name 'bullet'. what next, the AK-47 yoghurt maker?

bottom line: you're making baby food for grown-ups. carry on...
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited June 2018
    another thing to bear in mind is whether the vegetables you intend to mush have more nutritional value cooked or raw.

for example, tomatoes, carrots, broccolli are all generally considered better cooked than raw.
    you need to heat most veg & legumes to 'burst' the cell walls to get the insides out.
    actual physical grinding can't compete with that. it's purely a scale thing. trying to split cells with a metal blade is not very efficient.

& if you are talking cooked vegetables than any decent 300w handblender will do that.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited June 2018
    I bought myself a nutribullet 900 a couple of weeks ago and love it. One smoothie a day instead of a normal meal. I'm trying loads of different fruits, veg, and nuts that I wouldn't even consider buying before. Just throw everything in and enjoy, and it always tastes amazing.

I also bought Jason Vale's new book 'super blend me' which has some good smoothie recipes in it. If you haven't heard of him, check him out on youtube:

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

it's all just advertising noise to reframe mushing up vegetables as a 'macho & heroic' pursuit. even the name 'bullet'. what next, the AK-47 yoghurt maker?

bottom line: you're making baby food for grown-ups. carry on...
    lol or wis? ... needs both :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    Kale
    Spinach
    Carrot
    Banana

Then chuck it in the bin and have a Ginsters pasty.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    I have had a nutribullet 600 for over 2 years. Its used pretty much daily for smoothies and milkshakes.  Still going strong and never had a problem with it. Mostly I use it for strawberry / banana and apple juice.  Once you start throwing green veg in there I loose interest 

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    Kilgore said:
    Kale
    Spinach
    Carrot
    Banana

Then chuck it in the bin and have a Ginsters pasty.
    I've been spending most my life livin' in a Ginsters paradise.

Looks like I'll plump for the NB900 then...cheers folks.