BEWARE REVERB Paypal/reverb international transaction refund problems

What's Hot
interstellarinterstellar Frets: 486
edited June 2018 in Off Topic
Heres a strange but worrying anomaly

man buys guitar, then returns/cancels purchase and asks for refund...no problem
via paypal payment is converted to dollars then to euros refund is from euros to dollars to pounds BUT there is a difference of 80 euros..the refunder is short changed the refundee receives the right amount, what is the answer to this?

this of course must present a real potential problem for future sales from here to europe and elsewhere via reverb

Update    contrary to below the processes in place for dealing with this were "not our problem" well hacked off with reveb
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• iain.reverbiain.reverb Frets: 246
    Theres a couple of issues at play here on transactions like that, the variables can be due exchange rates and method of payment used and time between payment made and payment refunded. If you PM me your account details I can resolve it, alternatively hit up one of our customer support in live chat on the site and they will be able to take care of it. This does happen very occasionally on a small number of transactions but we have a system in place to put it right.
    I work for http://www.reverb.com/uk Any questions, queries, complaints, Drop me a line.

Remember to check out our Bank Holiday Sale 15% off New, Used and Vintage
    https://reverb.com/uk/sales/bank-holiday-sale

• interstellarinterstellar Frets: 486
    have pm you @iain.reverb ; and thanks
    @iain.reverb ;  update pretty poor response from Reverb, just pushed us on to paypal, they have effectively washed their hands of the problem, no evidence of any protocols in place to deal with this at all
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Theres a couple of issues at play here on transactions like that, the variables can be due exchange rates and method of payment used and time between payment made and payment refunded. If you PM me your account details I can resolve it, alternatively hit up one of our customer support in live chat on the site and they will be able to take care of it. This does happen very occasionally on a small number of transactions but we have a system in place to put it right.
    not true
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    edited June 2018
    Surely this is par for the course whenever exchange rates are involved.  

Rates will change and one party will lose out

whilst reverb may want to absorb that cost to aid international trades on their site, I don’t see why they should be automatically expected to.

• m_cm_c Frets: 1232
    WezV said:
    Surely this is par for the course whenever exchange rates are involved.  

Rates will change and one party will lose out

whilst reverb may want to absorb that cost to aid international trades on their site, I don’t see why they should be automatically expected to.

That would be my thought as well. Any time exchange rates are involved, someone in the transfer stands to lose or gain from any shifts.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    edited June 2018
    Reverb cannot practically be accountable here for all these transactions. For myself, if the buyer changed their mind then it's a their cost to absorb. If the item is inadequate, then the seller's.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28035
    Does this mean that Reverb allows buyers to change their minds and force a refund? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Sporky said:
    Does this mean that Reverb allows buyers to change their minds and force a refund? 
    I suspect that PayPal do regardless what reverb want to do but it would be interesting to hear their policy.  

I hadn’t thought about exchange rates and refunds before so it’s abotuet reason to be wary of international sales. 
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    Irrespective of exchange rates and Reverb, if you’ve ever purchased anything from abroad and paid in the local currency, PayPal exchange rate is adjusted in their favour. 

Easily checked on google or XE.com.

find something you like, check the exchange rate to see how much it costs you in £, then pay with PayPal...before you click “buy” PayPal will give you its exchange rate and it will cost you more than you thought. 

it’s annoying, but fairly standard in the world of banking and payment processors. 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials