Pre-interview brickings...

What's Hot
DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
I'm shitting it.  Took voluntary redundancy last year, and now, nearly 10 months later, have my first proper interview later this afternoon.  Having been out of the game for nearly a year, I'm feeling extremely anxious, particularly as have been pre-warned there will be a 15 minute technical test as part of the hour-long interview.  On paper, I'm a really good fit for the role, but the fear has really got me over the last 48 hours.

Role is in scientific computing (specifically, bioinformatics), so very hard to specifically predict what a technical test will consist of.

Back to the cramming!

New fangled trading feedback link right here!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    It's all about confidence..

For example, if they ask why you are suited to the job, get an ancient scroll out of your pocket, stare them in the eyes (If there is more than one interviewer train your eyes to look at both like a chameleon) and say "It was foretold"
    Then open a packet of mini eggs. 

Jobs as good as yours.

Good luck, sure you'll do fine :)
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Good luck. 

I had the odd interview over the years but when I was made redundant after 23 years having to do them in earnest was a different ballgame. I think if you've prepped you will be okay.

FWIW the most useful interview I did was one where I stunk. Awful, nearly walked out the room. However, all the questions stuck in my head, I understood what I didn't understand and the next interview for a similar job I aced. I wouldn't wish that upon you but the worst outcome is that it's at least a learning experience. 

Although I have no idea what bioinformatics even are do - I'd stink all over again at that one! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • If they're interviewing you then they believe you COULD do the job and are qualified. The interview is to see if you "fit" in their team.

Go in, be yourself & don't worry too much. 
    Also, take the opportunity to see if you want to work for them! That's also important.
    I like it when candidates questions- it shows they've put some thought in. 

Is the job purely bioinformatics or part of a lab group? 
    If you can help design/do experiments it's a huge plus & gives you "ownership" of the process. (I dragged my groups bioinformatician into the lab for a week to show him how much work it was for me to produce extra replicates! I THINK he enjoyed it- especially when we got to Library prep and MinIon stuff) . 
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    If they're interviewing you then they believe you COULD do the job and are qualified. The interview is to see if you "fit" in their team.

Also, take the opportunity to see if you want to work for them! That's also important.

If you can help design/do experiments it's a huge plus & gives you "ownership" of the process. (I dragged my groups bioinformatician into the lab for a week to show him how much work it was for me to produce extra replicates! I THINK he enjoyed it- especially when we got to Library prep and MinIon stuff) . 
    The post is in a "core" bioinformatics team which will serve a number of labs/research groups within an institute.  I've got about 6-7 years of experience working in a similar role at a dedicated sequencing centre/institute.  Mixed career background...bio degree and early-years wet lab, computing masters followed by 8-10 years in commercial software, and finally got into bioinformatics.  I've met the head of department and had a chat about the role in an informal capacity, and got on well with the guy.  In all honesty, it looks ideal for me...just feeling a bit rusty!
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    If they're interviewing you then they believe you COULD do the job and are qualified. The interview is to see if you "fit" in their team.

The post is in a "core" bioinformatics team which will serve a number of labs/research groups within an institute.  I've got about 6-7 years of experience working in a similar role at a dedicated sequencing centre/institute.  Mixed career background...bio degree and early-years wet lab, computing masters followed by 8-10 years in commercial software, and finally got into bioinformatics.  I've met the head of department and had a chat about the role in an informal capacity, and got on well with the guy.  In all honesty, it looks ideal for me...just feeling a bit rusty!

I wouldn't worry too much about a technical test. I don't know about bioinformatics, but I've interviewed for Comp Sci related roles at loads of companies. It's only purely tech companies that have really hard technical bits. Places like Google and Amazon, other places I applied to like Banks and Insurance Companies just wanted to make sure you knew what you were doing.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    I'm a really good fit for the role,
    Keep this in mind and good luck.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    "Your left leg is a good leg for the role. As soon as I saw it, I thought "That's a lovely leg." I've got nothing against your left leg, Mr Spigot. Trouble is, neither have you." ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    "Your left leg is a good leg for the role. As soon as I saw it, I thought "That's a lovely leg." I've got nothing against your left leg, Mr Spigot. Trouble is, neither have you." ;)
    Classic, classic sketch.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @Moominpapa yes it made me snigger just typing it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    Good luck, though I'm probably late to the party as its evening now. Currently waiting on an interview myself (if it arises) for a recent job application.
    Good luck, though I'm probably late to the party as its evening now. Currently waiting on an interview myself (if it arises) for a recent job application.
    At the interview if there is water, fill you glass up then keep filling while it spills. Wink at them and say "I always give 110%"
    Break open a kit kat.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    LuttiS said:
    At the interview if there is water, fill you glass up then keep filling while it spills. Wink at them and say "I always give 110%"
    Break open a kit kat.
    Haha well I'm going to do well to even get one, its been a week since the closing date now.
    LuttiS said:
    Break open a kit kat.
    Haha well I'm going to do well to even get one, its been a week since the closing date now.
    A week is nothing, a lot of places wait until you have completely given up hope before responding. 

And then they send the rejection letter just to remind you.

Sure you'll do fine. :)

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    How's about some feedback @DarnWeight ? How did it go today?
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    fandango said:
    How's about some feedback @DarnWeight ? How did it go today?
    Cheers all for the good luck messages!

Bit of a mixed bag.  Main part of the interview went well, tech test was a bit meh.  Reserving judgement, but not exactly brimming with confidence.  I did hear from a colleague who'd interviewed for a slightly different post this morning (same interview panel, same test), and they came out with similar feelings, so maybe the tech test was purposely pitched a little tougher than expected.

Not going to let it ruin the weekend, so will just sit tight and see what comes of it all, later next week maybe.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27989
    To be fair there's no point in a test everyone aces.

Don't overthink it. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    LuttiS said:
    LuttiS said:
    Break open a kit kat.
    A week is nothing, a lot of places wait until you have completely given up hope before responding. 

They did say interviews would start on the 11th which is the Monday just gone, dunno how they can expect to pick someone within a few days. Surely there must be some selection process for interviews?

Another week of waiting then perhaps.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    LuttiS said:
    LuttiS said:
    Break open a kit kat.

They did say interviews would start on the 11th which is the Monday just gone, dunno how they can expect to pick someone within a few days. Surely there must be some selection process for interviews?

You think there might be a second round of interviews?
    edited June 2018
    fandango said:
    LuttiS said:
    LuttiS said:
    Break open a kit kat.

Sure you'll do fine.

You think there might be a second round of interviews?
    I have no idea. It was a casual contract role so I can't think it'd need 2 sets of interviews or that many.

Sorry to hijack this thread by the way but I thought this was relevant. Fingers crossed for @DarnWeight as well as to myself!