COMPOSITION CHALLENGE #23 - Chat

What's Hot
INTRO

Time for round #23 of the Fretboard Composition Challenge, courtesy of me and @TTony

Every few months there'll be a composition challenge. It revolves around individuals or groups of forum members composing and recording music based on a set of rules or guidelines laid out for that particular challenge.

No prizes for this challenge. It's just for fun, a spur to creating, sharing, discussing music/recording and learning. Plus a way of testing the water with your creations and getting some feedback.

GUIDELINES -THEME

The theme for this challenge is "Sounds Of The Summer". 

Interpret the theme as you wish. For example (as a couple of pointers), it could be summery sounding piece of music or you could include sounds related to the summer. The main thing is to get as many entrants as possible, so don't get too hung up on the theme if it's giving you problems. You might get a few more votes if your piece has some sort of link to the theme, but I think most people vote for the music anyway.

Picture: In addition to the music, try to create your own picture that relates to your selected theme/title. This isn't mandatory but, as a small incentive, those that provide a picture will be awarded a free point to add to their voting score. Note the picture can be anything from a hand drawn sketch, photo, photo edit or something generated in a graphics package.

DATES AND VOTING

Fretboard Challenge #23 starts NOW! - Submission deadline -  Midnight 31st August 2018

Voting will start soon after the submission deadline with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.

First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point

The entry with the most points wins.

Voting will start just after the deadline and run for about two weeks.

The order and scores of the three people with the most votes will be announced soon after the voting ends.

SUBMISSION DETAILS

All recordings and pictures need to be sent via email to Compositions@theFB.co.uk

Songs to be submitted in mp3 format.
Pictures to be in jpg or png format.

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    Is anyone else expecting drums to come in any time they are out about and hear a seagull? 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    Is anyone else expecting drums to come in any time they are out about and hear a seagull? 

After trying for ages to get a clean Seagull recording for the previous challenge, the bloody things are going crazy at the moment and being really noisy. Yesterday they were going mad swooping and mobbing what appeared to be a Kestrel.

It's not a competition.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2083
    Mmm...I think I have a Summer tune somewhere 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    I had my idea worked out about 5 seconds after I read the title... 

Then we didn't get a typical UK summer.

I've since worked out my second idea and just need the time to record it 
    Submitted ....;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    stratman3142 said:

After trying for ages to get a clean Seagull recording for the previous challenge, the bloody things are going crazy at the moment and being really noisy. Yesterday they were going mad swooping and mobbing what appeared to be a Kestrel.

I wasn't aware that you could still get Kestrel. It's all artisan craft beer around my way... 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    spark240 said:
    Submitted ....;-)

1st one in.

I need to get going on my entry. Submission deadline is midnight 31st August 2018.

It's not a competition.
  • A tune is starting to take shape. 

It's not a competition.
  • A weekend reminder that the submission deadline is midnight 31st August 2018.

In theory mine's complete. But I'll come back to it with fresh ears to decide if any further tweaks are needed.

It's not a competition.
  • I've a semblance of an idea for this (and the Mrs said it was a nice tune) however it's a bit depressing so I apologise in advance.

On the plus side it's only vocals and piano, maybe bit of organ and xylophone but let's not get too carried away..
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    I've a semblance of an idea for this (and the Mrs said it was a nice tune) however it's a bit depressing so I apologise in advance.

On the plus side it's only vocals and piano, maybe bit of organ and xylophone but let's not get too carried away..
    A depressing sound of Summer ......I’m intrigued ..

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Sent.  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• Sent.  

That makes two entries and mine's nearly done.

It's not a competition.
  • I'm in a quandary with mine! My lyrics are a bit depressing because they are taken from my first when my Mrs and I went through something quite big last year... But she has heard me playing it and humming it to get it finished and she keeps saying she likes it. But she won't like the lyrics due to what it relates to as it will... So I may have to either change them fully or do two versions,  Arghhh.

Also, am I allowed to use the F word? I'm trying to find an alternative but using "bloody" or "flipping" sounds lame Haha
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 583

Also, am I allowed to use the F word? I'm trying to find an alternative but using "bloody" or "flipping" sounds lame Haha
    I'm only speaking on a personal level here but I'd rather you did ... It should really be mandatory :)

As for the rest of it, good luck with the Mrs after the release!

• Also, am I allowed to use the F word? I'm trying to find an alternative but using "bloody" or "flipping" sounds lame Haha

I'm sure it's for perfectly artistic reasons.

It's not a competition.
  • Done my tune and picture, so that makes 3 entries so far.

It's not a competition.

• Also, am I allowed to use the F word? I'm trying to find an alternative but using "bloody" or "flipping" sounds lame Haha

I'm sure it's for perfectly artistic reasons.

Yeah, only twice is it followed by "da police" :)
  • I'm nearly done with mine I think, I'm going to install some of those free vocal plugins from Landr in the "plug in deals" thread and see if I like any of them but other than that is ready to go I think. It's turned out very minimal as any instruments I've tried to add over the top didn't add anything. 

I apologise now for the musical theatre sounding dirge...
  • I'm nearly done with mine I think, I'm going to install some of those free vocal plugins from Landr in the "plug in deals" thread and see if I like any of them but other than that is ready to go I think. It's turned out very minimal as any instruments I've tried to add over the top didn't add anything. 

I apologise now for the musical theatre sounding dirge...
    And sent!