For Owners of old Classic Watches

What's Hot
rocktronrocktron Frets: 806

Got a classic wristwatch? It’s probably slowly killing you say researchers

CLASSIC wristwatches have been linked to cancer due to the fact they emit radiation, researchers have warned.

By SEAN MARTIN www.express.co.uk

12:55, Fri, Jun 15, 2018 | UPDATED: 13:00, Fri, Jun 15, 2018

Watches worn by British soldiers during World War 2 gave off heavy doses of radon gas, scientists have discovered.

The time pieces, of which many have been handed though the generations as family heirlooms, give off the cancer-inducing gas due to their dials which are glow in the dark.

The technique to use the radon-based paint to give the handles on the watches a luminescent glow in the dark was commonly used by watchmakers in the 1920s through to the 1960s, but became part of military uniform during the Second World War.

Experts from the University of Northampton and Kingston University state that radon exposure is one of the leading causes of lung cancer.

The researchers analysed a collection of 30 antique, radium-dial watches and found that they have radon concentrations a shocking 134 times greater than the UK's recommended safe level when kept in an area similar in size to a small bedroom.

Co-author Dr Robin Crockett from the University of Northampton said: “These results show that the radon emitted from individual watches can potentially pose a serious cancer risk.

“This is of concern because in addition to military watches being prized by collectors, many individual radium-dial watches are kept as mementos by ex-servicemen and their descendants.

“They have the potential to pose a significant health hazard to themselves and their families.

“Smokers are particularly at risk.

“The watches tested were a mix of British, Swiss and American made items, manufactured between the 1920s and 60s, but we know these sort of paints were used into the 70s.

“There are potentially millions of these watches in circulation.”

Professor Gavin Gilmore, the other author of the study, added that collectors should not attempt to open the watches: “Loose paint fragments will contain radium particles which could be ingested.

“As this is a strong alpha emitter there is a potentially serious health risk for those who do this."

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    I had a Steve Austin LED watch when I was a kid. Its potential to make me 'bionic' with associated superpowers was only eclipsed by the certainty it was giving me wrist cancer.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lewismlewism Frets: 250
    Balls.
    https://i.imgur.com/yj2aVuC.jpg
    (It’s 70’s so I’m safe)

This isn’t really news though, is it? The risks of radium dials have been known about since the 50’s or 60’s, but I suppose it’s part of the Express mission to categorise everything as either causing or curing cancer.

Anyone with an interesting old watch who’s now concerned, please feel free to send it to me.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    I remember being told a story about high levels of mouth and throat cancer occurring in watch factories.  

The best way to get a good point on a fine tipped paintbrush is with your mouth, but you risk ingesting a bit of paint.  Not so good when it’s radioactive paint used on watch hands
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27576
    Fretwired said:
    As a kid I had a Timex watch that glowed in the dark, along with my alarm clock. Should I be dead now?
    SPOILER ALERT: You're already dead. Turns out theFretboard is purgatory.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    WezV said:
    I remember being told a story about high levels of mouth and throat cancer occurring in watch factories.  

The best way to get a good point on a fine tipped paintbrush is with your mouth, but you risk ingesting a bit of paint.  Not so good when it’s radioactive paint used on watch hands
    This.
    The girls that worked painting the dials etc. all had gum disease and died younger than average. Owning one by comparison is less likely to harm you.
    All these things we 'discover' long after the event, next they'll tell us GMO food and glyphosate are bad for us and nature was right all along with its polyculture.
  • ESBlonde said:

The girls that worked painting the dials etc. all had gum disease and died younger than average. Owning one by comparison is less likely to harm you.

Do people still own girls?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16010
    The whole of the SW of England especially Devon Cornwall and much of S Wales has very high Radon levels in the ground and it's standard practice to build foundations with a Radon sheet barrier.........which is fine but Radon gas emissions as you wait to get into Rick Stein's or generally walk around the counties is unchecked .....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16010
    Obviously death traps........what a shame moped muggers prefer Rolex
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Love that CWC @lewism!

I've got the Squier equivalent  :)

It's a '96 so the Tritium's pretty worn out now, I think the half-life's only about 10 years. 

https://i.imgur.com/VRmmyMP.jpg
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    lewism said:

This isn’t really news though, is it? The risks of radium dials have been known about since the 50’s or 60’s, but I suppose it’s part of the Express mission to categorise everything as either causing or curing cancer.

/\ This.

It's not just old news but ancient news.

How many of the servicemen and civilians regularly in contact with luminous watches or dials contracted cancer? I'll warrant not many. As has been said, it was really mainly the poor souls who got the job of painting the dials who paid a high price.

In the 90s I was in a band that rehearsed in an old country manor house near Slough. During the war it was where luminous dials were made for aircraft. In the period we used that place the lawns around it were marked out in metre squares then each square of turf was dug up and bagged by men in protective clothing. Apparently it was due to radio-active contamination from the materials used in the luminous paint.

The place was also haunted, but that's another story..........

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    .I doubt it poses any health risk at all.

If the watch is waterproof it seems unlikely the radon will escape, and alpha radiation can't penetrate a sheet of paper, never mind a watch case.

The risk only exists if your skin is in direct contact with the alpha emitter, or if you inhale an alpha emitter.

The majority of background radiation you are exposed to comes from naturally occurring radon anyhow, living in an area with granite bedrock will expose you to far more than your vintage watch collection.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    Dominic said:
    The whole of the SW of England especially Devon Cornwall and much of S Wales has very high Radon levels in the ground and it's standard practice to build foundations with a Radon sheet barrier.........which is fine but Radon gas emissions as you wait to get into Rick Stein's or generally walk around the counties is unchecked .....
    And what is a radon barrier?  Why, it’s a sheet of coloured plastic......
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    As long as you don't lick a radium dial you are pretty safe. 

BTW you will only find a large amount of Radium on the earliest watches, it was later diluted until replaced by Tritium in the '60's.

Nowadays it is mainly luminova.