Fender Bassman ri vs Twin ri?

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
I’ve never had a Bassman but seen a couple for sale and wonder how they would compare with my twin? 

Used with pedals the twin is great and always gives a big sound that works great with a band but would I regret selling it and getting a Bassman? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    They’re totally different amps. The only thing they have in common is the company name.

The Bassman is more like a Marshall, in fact the first Marshalls were a direct copy, albeit with different speakers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Thanks for that.    I have several Marshalls already and I like the cleans on most of them so I’d probably get on ok with the Bassman.  
    How much clean headroom do they have - a little bit of sag and compression at volume without getting dirty would be nice - where the twin is quite stiff and of course the nice cleans with the bright switch mean drive sounds need a bit more thought.  
    John_P said:
    Thanks for that.    I have several Marshalls already and I like the cleans on most of them so I’d probably get on ok with the Bassman.  
    How much clean headroom do they have - a little bit of sag and compression at volume without getting dirty would be nice - where the twin is quite stiff and of course the nice cleans with the bright switch mean drive sounds need a bit more thought.  
    In that case the Bassman should suit you well, I think - it's definitely less stiff than the Twin, and doesn't have the bright-cap fizz problem with dirt pedals. They're loud, but not unusably so if you don't want to push them into full overdrive.

They're not rare and quite easy to sell on if you don't like it, so I would buy second hand without selling the Twin first, just to be on the safe side!

If it comes with the factory-fitted solid-state rectifier, you can try a valve instead which will reduce the volume slightly and increase the sag and 'looseness' - or vice versa if you get one with a valve and it isn't punchy enough.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Sounds like I should try one - could be a more useable amp for the way I play than for the twin although I’ve had it forever so it would be sad to part with it.    Really appreciate the comments - definitely given me something to think about.  
    Have you thought about running the Twin with only two power valves, via the Normal channel?

Although not the same as the Bassman, it would make quite a difference.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    Bandmasters sit between the two too...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>