What's Hot

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    IanSavage said:

Me endorsement instrument:

http://www.jhs.co.uk/band_logos/IanSavage.jpg

his endorsement instrument

mines for recording only though. I is a guitarist 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited April 2014
    Following my earlier post, I reckon I'm going to hold onto my own bass for a while and perhaps give my dad his Jazz back :D

Here's mine. It's a Vintage V8004B, actually a prototype model from before they were in mass production.

It's pretty good - not a patch on the Jazz but you wouldn't expect it to be for the price. I don't know if this will go away when the new strings dull down a bit, but it's quite aggressive and zingy-sounding, and the A and D strings clank a bit. Not so great for playing ABBA, but it pretty much nails Green Day/Rancid/Faith No More, so I'm not complaining. Looks nice too.

I'd kind of quite like a 5-string at some point though... I think my dream bass is a Sandberg California TM 5-string.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Bucket said:
    Following my earlier post, I reckon I'm going to hold onto my own bass for a while and perhaps give my dad his Jazz back :D

Here's mine. It's a Vintage V8004B, actually a prototype model from before they were in mass production.

It's pretty good - not a patch on the Jazz but you wouldn't expect it to be for the price. I don't know if this will go away when the new strings dull down a bit, but it's quite aggressive and zingy-sounding, and the A and D strings clank a bit. Not so great for playing ABBA, but it pretty much nails Green Day/Rancid/Faith No More, so I'm not complaining. Looks nice too.

I'd kind of quite like a 5-string at some point though... I think my dream bass is a Sandberg California TM 5-string.
    That is a looker!

You could probably do a simple mod to remove clankyness :)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    My only bass is a Yamaha BEX4

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100

My Fender Jazz Bass. Bought many moons ago from Hartnoll's and modded with a black guard, thumbrest and ashtray cover.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Warwick Fortress One, very lovely indeed :)
    That's wasn't you playing on Jools Holland the other night, was it? :)

Is it a maple neck or wenge?
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    I went through a stage of trying lots of basses before settling on the Geddy Lee Jazz -   the slim neck fits me perfectly, I added a pearloid plate, black strings and an audere preamp - it sounds great.

http://www.johnpinchin.com/guitars/fender geddy lee jazz.JPG-for-web-large.jpg

• mart said:
    Warwick Fortress One, very lovely indeed :)
    That's wasn't you playing on Jools Holland the other night, was it? :)

Is it a maple neck or wenge?
    Alas, no.

One piece solid wenge neck, slinky as a very slinky thing indeed.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    imageMy Main and only bass, a 2006 Cort Curbow4 with the luthite body and ebanol fretboard. Bartolini active pickup with 3 band EQ and a bypass switch to an adjustable slap setting. Brilliant bass with a nice thing neck and great slap tone. The string spacing is huge too (20mm) The only thing that bothers me is that it doesn't like to sit on my right thigh!
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    My go-to bass is an 80's Hohner- a sort of PJ affair with Musicman-type bridge pickup. Big chunky neck and it just sounds fantastic- tons of growls and bowel-bothering-ness.
    I've got a Fender Jazz and a Duesenberg semi but neither have what the Honer has.
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited January 2018
    1982 Squier 62 Precision with Pyramid flats. I bought this secondhand in a hell of a hurry half a lifetime ago for a gig that same night which paid for it rather nicely, and have plunked it ever since. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    KKJale said:
    1982 Squier 62 Precision with Pyramid flats. I bought this secondhand in a hell of a hurry half a lifetime ago for a gig that same night which paid for it rather nicely, and have plunked it ever since.
    Nice story.

I have a Rat pedal I acquired in the same way, after finding out that the amp which would be supplied for a gig that night did not have a dirty channel… but the bass is way cooler than that :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Having started this thread by saying that the Status has overtaken the Custom shop Fender, in a new twist my fave bass as of 3 weeks ago is ......... A Squier jazz! Bought it for £220 and I absolutely love it! Haven't touched any of my other basses since it came in. Unbelievable basses for the money!
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    John_P said:
    I went through a stage of trying lots of basses before settling on the Geddy Lee Jazz -   the slim neck fits me perfectly, I added a pearloid plate, black strings and an audere preamp - it sounds great.

http://www.johnpinchin.com/guitars/fender geddy lee jazz.JPG-for-web-large.jpg

Me too this!

Mine is a CIJ one, only change I've made, apart from a detailed set up, is the addition of Hipshot D tuner.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    RBX375
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Yamaha TRB5-pii ... same bass as Nick Fyffe from Jamiroquai and Abe Laboriel use. Picked it up for an absolute steal. Felt like I should have been wearing a mask when I bought it. 35" scale length, piezos in the saddles, tone monster with an action that's lower and easier than some of my guitars.

Having said that, I also have a vintage modified Jazz bass, and that gets it's fair share of playing time, despite it costing a tiny fraction of what the Yamaha sells for.

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    My main bass is a musicman stingray and for acoustic duties an ibanez ewb 30, really great basses which cover alot of bases..... Scuse the pun :-D
  • therose789therose789 Frets: 467
    I mainly use a 50's P-Bass - its delicious.