From Digitalscream & TTony

What's Hot

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8786
    All rather sad, but special big love to @TTony and @digitalscream for all you’ve done for what is - genuinely - one of the best sites on the net for what seems like an awful lot of us.

All the best chaps for what I hope is just a sabbatical. I have one very personal question, however: Can we still borrow Tony’s dogs when we have a raffle?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    One more thing before I bugger off...I've noticed a small number people posting supportive comments in this thread who've actually been part of the problem (in terms of acting against the original spirit of the place).
    Having read every post in this thread it seems to me that everyone is genuinely supportive, understanding and grateful. Any of us here would, I’m sure, be surprised and perhaps horrified to think we might have been a part of the problem. Perhaps it’s not altogether clear how you both see members as ‘acting against the original spirit’? The Admin/Mod Interventions thread informs us of those who have been coolered or banned, and why, but it appears that there are perhaps other lesser transgressions that irritate or disappoint? During last year’s upset over a particular controversial member, since departed, it seemed that there was even disagreement between the Modmins as to what was acceptable behaviour. If there are to be new stricter rules they should perhaps be more specific than ‘don’t be a dick’ so that members know exactly what the Modmins consider unacceptable and, in particular, against the original spirit.

This would hopefully reduce the amount of grief suffered by the Modmins.

Anyway, enjoy a very well deserved break  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    edited June 2018
    Unlike previous rule changes, this won't be a case of, "Hey guys, we're thinking about these changes - what are your thoughts?" but rather, "We're making these changes.".

@Digitalscream @ttony To be honest, I'm amazed that it wasn't done before it became a serious issue. If the issue is bad behaviour from non-contributing members, shut the classifieds down.

The analogy I would use is a man with a gangrenous limb. You need to amputate to save the body.

I am absolutely certain that there's nobody that would disagree if it meant the survival of an absolutely fantastic forum. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    So long and thanks for all the fish....errr modmineration that is.

In all seriousness very sad to see this has come about. But it is fully understandable you both stepping back if it has gotten frustrating and stressing dealing with the negative side of it. It is bound to be a shit tonne of work to juggle with the real world so props due for that.

Not been on much in recent times myself (life, the universe etc) but still rate this as the best online forum for not only gear n guitars but a whole host of other excellent stuff that runs the gamut of life's A to Z.

I always point all my mates and other guitary/muso types to tFB in  my neck of the woods and online as being the best  internet forum.

Despite the negatives as you both see them there is still very much to be proud of about tFB on the whole to balance out the shitty stuff. Mebbes not enough for now  but I do hope you both return refreshed after a suitable break from it all.

If it needs new rules to do so then so be it, and I am sure any changes you both require would be accpeted by the vast majority of members

As an MR refugee I sincerely thank you both for setting up and running the place for us all to gather here and continue to GAS, deGAS and  talk allsorts of crap (also by way of the Emp's lifeboat as the bridge, lest we forget :)).

You built it and they came so kudos for all the hard work and effort thus far.

Haste Ye Back!! And best of British for the future guys.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14409
    I joined thirteen months ago and adopted the approach of, "when in Rome, live as the Romans live." I do not know whether that makes me part of the problem or part of the solution? 

Wolfetone said:
    non-contributing members
    Is remotely diagnosing guitar wiring problems for free a positive contribution or brazen attention seeking? Maybe, it is both? You decide.

Does answering guitar/amp/pedal questions counterbalance having an *off* sense of humour? Again, you decide.

Sits back and awaits ban hammer.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Sits back and awaits ban hammer.
    There's nobody to wield it :'( 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Thank you Tony and Lee.

I really hope you find a way back that makes it as deserving as you, well, deserve.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6680
    You did good and I can understand your need to step away.

‘Tis my belief that any moderately successful forum needs to be a benign dictatorship - you guys set the rules, if people object, they leave or are banned.

Lots of people hate TGP and think it’s overmoderated because the rules are tight and they are fairly strictly enforced, but it’s success speaks for itself. 
    Please don’t let it become like TGP. Mods there are far more of the traffic warden who has just been dumped variety than the ‘hey guys let’s all chill out a bit’ type. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6095
    As everyone else says, a huge thank you for all the hard work you have put in to making this the premier UK guitar forum.  This really is an astonishing achievement and you guys have had the patience of a saint in creating such an incredible community.  It saddens me to see just how tough it can be dealing with some of the human detritus that feel they have the inalienable right to jump on the forum for their own personal financial gain or to just to troll members, thus completely undermining the ethos that this site was set up to achieve.

As others have suggested, I do think that charging for the use of the classifieds, ala Bass chat, would be a good idea,at the very minimum. Personally I think sellers should also have a minimum number off frets (50?) before they can be allowed to put items up for sale.  These two methods would really help to stall the flyboys who treat this place as their own free retail outlet.
    All the very best to the both of you.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24258
    One more thing before I bugger off...I've noticed a small number people posting supportive comments in this thread who've actually been part of the problem (in terms of acting against the original spirit of the place).
    Lee, with the greatest respect in the world, isn't this a tad vague ?  Do these people know that they are part of the problem ?  Have they been told ?  Without knowing who you're referring to or why, a lot of us, myself included, will surely be thinking "Is it me ? - have I done something ?".
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    Really sad that you guys feel the need to step away. 

I don’t post much but I take part in SotM and contribute to the raffles as my way of saying thanks. I’ve got so much out of this forum and I really appreciate the time and effort that goes into keeping it free and ad free. 

Thanks for all the work work you guys have done. 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4767
    @TTony  @digitalscream Thanks for what you've been doing to make this place worth visiting. Some people are knobs and that's all there is to it.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Emp_Fab said:
    Lee, with the greatest respect in the world, isn't this a tad vague ?  Do these people know that they are part of the problem ?  Have they been told ?  Without knowing who you're referring to or why, a lot of us, myself included, will surely be thinking "Is it me ? - have I done something ?".
    Ok fine, it's You.
    Now stop moaning and get modding :)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Emp_Fab said:
    It may be that Im a bit paranoid but that was my first thought as well.   To teh extent that Ive been back though a lot of my posts (not that many to be honest) to see if anything I've said could be offensive or taken out of context.  I hope that warnings are issued so that those who are being referred to know their wrists have been slapped, but as the Actions by Modmins thread only shows when people have been banned its difficult to know the background processed that go on.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26559
    edited June 2018
    Emp_Fab said:
    It may be that Im a bit paranoid but that was my first thought as well.   To teh extent that Ive been back though a lot of my posts (not that many to be honest) to see if anything I've said could be offensive or taken out of context.  I hope that warnings are issued so that those who are being referred to know their wrists have been slapped, but as the Actions by Modmins thread only shows when people have been banned its difficult to know the background processed that go on.
    Gah...keep getting dragged back in.

Anyway, this is kind of the point - not that I was aiming it at you, @thumpingrug. If everyone does a bit of introspection, then perhaps this will become a nicer place for all. If my experience of the last five years is anything to go by, then singling people out (even privately) just causes cause bad feeling, arguments and exactly the kind of stress and angst that leads to Tony and I enjoying being here much less than everybody else.

To be clear: it's not about individual infractions of the rules, or specific people being asshats. It's the general feeling of the place (with the obvious caveat that we probably see the worst more than most).

And with that, I'm signing out. Really, this time.
    <space for hire>
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24258
    Winny_Pooh said:
    Ok fine, it's You.
    Now stop moaning and get modding :)
    They won't have me back....  not after what I did in the kettle in the staff room.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1435
    I can only echo what's been said already - it's a shame, but understandable.  I'm not so frequent a poster these days, but I read the forum daily.

Ideas:

1.  Make the site a members-only site - perhaps allowing new members by invitation from existing members.
    2.  Charge for forum membership.
    3.  Charge for access to the classifieds.

Either way, thanks for the work you both do / have done / might do again in future.  I hope you find what you're looking for away from the forums.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3875
    I've been a right knob on a couple of occasions in the past so you can all blame me.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RickydRickyd Frets: 149

A great shame but big thanks for all your hard work. While not a great poster (usually when I've fecked something up and need help) I have learnt so much, bought some nice gear off of really nice guys and enjoy my time here. While I love some of the shit in off topic, it does get out of hand and nasty at times. Shut it.

I'm happy to enter raffles, cough up a few quid when guys get in trouble, that's what a community is about helping each other.

Have a great break, come back and post for us and let us know how your getting on (was especially interested in your teeth saga Tony, keep us updated).

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    Sad to read this. Thanks for all your hard work.
    I think 5 years without a break probably shouldn't be allowed to happen again.
    Maybe some sort of Rota between the mods, maybe some more mods.
    As this is a Community maybe the Classifieds problem should be sorted out by ourselves. 
    1 Dont buy off anyone with a post count less than 50 (Unless they are willing to pay £20 to the fretboard kitty.
     2. Pm would be sellers ourselves  and let them know instead of waiting for a mod to deal with it.
    It makes sense that not many of us like buying off someone brand new to the forum anyway. 
    If you want to buy off a Newcomer then Pm them and do it away from the Forum. Tell them this is how it is done here. I havent bought from here for a while though so maybe being selfish here.
    To be honest i didnt see any of this coming so my suggestions are just rants really. Good luck to the New Mods and i hope things improve for you all.