Recommend a loop pedal

What's Hot
VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
edited June 2018 in FX
Hi
Thinking of getting a loop pedal and am a bit overwhelmed with all the choices!  Would like simple, robust, easy to use and that allows you to add different layers into the same loop.
Oh and not too expensive.
Recommendations??
Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richhrichh Frets: 449
    The Ditto pedals are robust and easy to use.  I've got the X2 which is a bit more expensive but with a dedicated second button.

There are lots of choices, but whichever one you get, take a quick look at Justin Sandercoe's short video on using loopers - to get a really seamless loop it can be frustrating at first, but Justin has one or two really useful tips.  It gets easier, especially if you use a metronome.  I have to say though, it is a lot tougher than people like Ed Sheeran make it look!

Lots of choices, but for simplicity and solid build, Ditto is a good option.  Some others have loads of extra features though, so maybe worth exploring?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    The Ditto pedals are super easy to use, I've got the single and the X4.
    And yet there is something about the Akai Headrush E2 -- it's an echo and a looper and it's just a lovely thing to work with.  I've nearly sold mine a couple of times then changed my mind.  It's old technology, just 30 seconds memory, but still great.
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    The Ditto isn't great for storing ideas,  sold mine and bought a Boss RC3 which has 99 storage slots. It's a bit more complicated to operate than a Ditto but gives back in spades. Can be noisy with the wrong supply. 
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    Thanks chaps.  How about the Digitech ones compared to Boss or Ditto?
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Vinylfan said:
    Thanks chaps.  How about the Digitech ones compared to Boss or Ditto?
    If you're going Digitech, the trio+ is a looper and then some, but it's not "cheap". The only reason to consider it is if you are planning to use a looper alongside a drum machine at some point. Discovering that synchronising loops and drums is virtually impossible, then realising that the Trio does that for you is a marvelous thing! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • LaCathedrale_UKLaCathedrale_UK Frets: 105
    edited June 2018
    I didn't like the Trio+  - you needed to run in the FX loop if you wanted to use your amplifier's preamp and didn't want your drums/etc. to also be distorted - but the volume control was MUCH too sensitive to operate directly into a power amp.

I had a Ditto and it was OK, but honestly found the lack of feedback offputting. I replaced with a Boss RC-1 (new off Amazon for £80 for the black anniversary/million unit version) and it's MUCH nicer.

It still only has one big button, but has a dial of LEDs on the face which give feedback on the loop length, position in the loop, exact current state. Cannot recommend it more highly.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Ah I've never had that problem as I always split the output of the trio+ so that drums and bass go to separate speakers from the guitar. Usually the PA but sometimes by studio monitors. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1591

Just bought son a Digitech Jam Man Solo X T. I only had a few minutes with it and so did not get to grips but the sound quality was excellent. Nice chunky build Q . Stereo and has a handy AUX 3.5mm jack for backing tracks from phone say. Takes a micro SD card  and there is a program you can download to organize  your loops. USB port allows dumping to PC.

Dave.

• builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 456
    EHX 360 Looper 11 storage slots six mins of recording time comes with a PSU, brilliant pedal!
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    I’ve got a Ditto Stereo looper I’m not using if you’re interested 
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
    I've got an ac30 for sale. Never used it but it can do the lot. I am in Berks(langley) too if you want to take a look. Happy to do it for a ton if you want it..

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/130832/fs-boss-ac-30-looper-station-boxed#latest

• I just bought an RC-2 for a very cheap price. There's one in the classifieds at the moment I think. I bought a tiny stop/tap tempo switch for it, so now it does everything I need, and is small and robust.
  • MrMusicMrMusic Frets: 44
    +1 for any TC Looper (Ditto, x2 or x4) owned and used them all and they have all worked brilliantly for me and never had any issues.

Personally find the boss and digitech foot switch not ideal and less accurate than the TC soft switches.

Also own a Digitech stereo (now discontinued) great for storing loads of loops and has alot of funcions, softwares a bit clunky and out of date though. You can get them second hand around a oner
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    Bought a Boss RC3 many years ago and it does the job very well.  Never had any problems with it and it's very easy to use.

• smigeonsmigeon Frets: 282
    ecc83 said:

Just bought son a Digitech Jam Man Solo X T. I only had a few minutes with it and so did not get to grips but the sound quality was excellent. Nice chunky build Q . Stereo and has a handy AUX 3.5mm jack for backing tracks from phone say. Takes a micro SD card  and there is a program you can download to organize  your loops. USB port allows dumping to PC.

Dave.

My experience was that the Digitec somehow robbed my sound of its dynamics; I believe this is called “tone suck”. It wasn’t a huge thing but it took a lot of the joy out of playing.

I sold it and got a Ditto v1. No tone suck at all. A lot simpler as well which, for me, was significant as the relative complexity of the Digitec just irritated me. I only use really a looper to record an on-the-fly chord progression to improvise over. I’ve no need of backing tracks or of saving loops. 

When my breaks, I’ll get a Ditto x2 because it has the extra button. The v1 that I have requires you to press the button twice to stop, which is annoying because it’s hard to stop exactly at the end of a bar. On the x2 you only need a single press on the stop button.