Using Nespresso pods without a machine?

What's Hot
EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
I did Google this but the answers were a bit unclear.
Obviously not something I would plan to do but I have in my possession some Nespresso type pods and would like to turn them into drinkable coffee. 

Anyone done this? Ta. 
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    I don’t see why you couldn’t just empty the pods out and use the ground coffee in a French press
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Whatever you do, don’t buy a Nespresso machine. Environmentally they’re a disaster, and the coffee is really expensive. 

I have in my possession some Nespresso type pods and would like to turn them into drinkable coffee. 
    You’re going to need a miracle. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I don’t see why you couldn’t just empty the pods out and use the ground coffee in a French press
    I have drunk coffee made from a Nespresso machine but not really used one so don't even know if they are like ground coffee or dissolve like instant. 
    Ideally there would be some way to use them in a cup so I could use them up at work where my only facilities are a chipped mug and a kettle. 
    Whatever you do, don’t buy a Nespresso machine. Environmentally they’re a disaster, and the coffee is really expensive. 

I have in my possession some Nespresso type pods and would like to turn them into drinkable coffee. 
    You’re going to need a miracle. 
    No, not going to buy a machine. Certainly not to use up ten pods. 
  • How fine is the coffee inside ground? You really only need to add hot (but not boiling) water. The finer the grind, the less time you leave it brewing.

You can just dump it all in the cup, then wait for the grounds to settle before drinking. That’s Turkish coffee 
    How fine is the coffee inside ground? You really only need to add hot (but not boiling) water. The finer the grind, the less time you leave it brewing.

You can just dump it all in the cup, then wait for the grounds to settle before drinking. That’s Turkish coffee 
    I suspect that’s what I’ll end up doing. One of the google suggestions seemed to be to put the whole pod in the cup and add hot water although I wouldn’t have thought they were porous. 
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    Had the same problem when my nespresso machine died and I didn’t want to replace it. 

I’ve sliced a few of them open and put in a cafetière. Mixed results.
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7826
    Throw them in the bin. It’s floor sweepings pretending to be coffee. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2339
    tFB Trader
    Best thing to do with them put in the bin, they make absolutely crap coffee, almost the biggest con Nescafe have ever done, really expensive shit taste.

If you feel you do want to use them they can be used in a cafetier, but because the coffee is ground very fine you might get grouts in the coffee. They can also be emptied into a stovetop coffee maker. But I still think the best thing to do is throw the things away.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    GSPBASSES said:
    Best thing to do with them put in the bin, they make absolutely crap coffee, almost the biggest con Nescafe have ever done, really expensive shit taste.

If you feel you do want to use them they can be used in a cafetier, but because the coffee is ground very fine you might get grouts in the coffee. They can also be emptied into a stovetop coffee maker. But I still think the best thing to do is throw the things away.

I think that's a little unfair, the Nespresso system is quite good if you factor in convenience. 

The coffee isn't the best, but with one button press I can get a good cup of coffee, relatively cheaply. It's not very expensive, between £50 and £100 for a machine and then no more than 40p for a coffee. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    I did Google this but the answers were a bit unclear.
    Obviously not something I would plan to do but I have in my possession some Nespresso type pods and would like to turn them into drinkable coffee. 

Anyone done this? Ta. 
    Sell the coffee pods to any mug who'll buy them then spend the money on some drinkable coffee.  
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    GSPBASSES said:

I think that's a little unfair, the Nespresso system is quite good if you factor in convenience. 

The coffee isn't the best, but with one button press I can get a good cup of coffee, relatively cheaply. It's not very expensive, between £50 and £100 for a machine and then no more than 40p for a coffee. 
    Instant is convenient. Some are not terrible.  I drink a few cups a day

Aeropress is cheap, and if you get the technique right it makes awesome coffee in a minute or two.  I limit myself to 2 cups a day.

i have never had a fresh tasting pod coffee.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9593
    edited June 2018
    I had a cup of instant coffee today. First I’ve had for a good few years. Ych a fi.
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    GSPBASSES said:

My espresso machine cost me just over £100, takes maybe 2 minute from bean to cup and makes far better coffee than my brother's nespresso machine.  I don't tend to buy expensive beans either - Tesco's own brand espresso beans make a perfectly acceptable cup of coffee.

Actually, thinking about it, my brother has had two nespresso machines both of which have been used for a few weeks and then tossed into the garage and eventually thorwn out/given away.  They've now gone back to instant which suggests to me that the nespresso is neither convenient enough or good enough to make them switch from instant.  I think I've had one cup of instant coffee at home since I got the espresso machine.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Ych a fi.
    Pobol Y Cwm. 

I’ve sliced a few of them open and put in a cafetière. Mixed results.
    Probably freeze dried black coffee with a few tiny specks of ground bean mixed in between the powder. 

RedRabbit said:
    my brother has ... gone back to instant which suggests to me that the nespresso is neither convenient enough or good enough to make them switch from instant.
    Even barista group machine pods are disappointing. The manufacturers can not cram enough ground coffee into the paper packets. The only solution is to go short on the water.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Tried the Turkish coffee route as that seemed simplest. One sip of coffee and 30 minutes of getting bits out of my mouth :unamused: 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • funkyfrazfunkyfraz Frets: 93
    Am I the only person still using the gool old fashioned cafetiere? 
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    funkyfraz said:
    Am I the only person still using the gool old fashioned cafetiere? 
    Nope, I've got one at work.  Have to buy my own coffee but I'd rather do that than drink nescafe.
  • keithfkeithf Frets: 371
    edited June 2018

They're awful, horrible chemical aftertaste, Take a leaf out  of @octatonic 's book,

I'm pretty sure I seen him drink 3 shots of espresso in one hit, I think he called it a restretta or something.

That's a proper coffee hit !

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4181
    I work for the company that makes the Tassimo, it’s ok but on a recent Hotel stay I used the Nespresso Machine, what a difference ! actually very impressed with Nespresso as a whole