Relicing

What's Hot
powerhandpowerhand Frets: 198
edited June 2018 in Making & Modding
Is there a definitive source for guitar relicing techniques?  I've done a forum search and have found little bits here and there, but not really any useful "how to" posts.  Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    powerhand said:
    Is there a definitive source for guitar relicing techniques?  I've done a forum search and have found little bits here and there, but not really any useful "how to" posts.  Thanks.
    You’ll tend to find there are a few techniques which are easy enough to source but most people’s techniques are unique to that person. It can also have cost time and money to produced the results hence why few people share the entire process from start to finish 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    probably best to ask questions about specific wear you are trying to create.... many ways to skin a cat and some techniques work well for some styles and not so well for others

For me its 3 main stages, but i often skip forward and backwards trying to get it right.... and sometimes don;t

Wear
    Damage
    Patina

You may try a technique for wear or damage that looks terrible until you have added some patina
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    There's lots of trial and error before you find what works for you and the look you want
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • powerhandpowerhand Frets: 198
    WezV said:
    probably best to ask questions about specific wear you are trying to create.... 
    It’s the chipped look along the edges I’m trying to do. 
    powerhand said:
    WezV said:
    On what sort of guitar with what sort of finish.... do you have pics of something comparable to work from.

my technique for a chipped edge involves bad scraping technique with blunt tools. :)
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    Dan Erlewine literally dragged the edge of a Tele along some bricks/stones to get that effect on a refin/repair he did.
    The whole video is well worth watching but his ageing/relicing starts at 10m 06secs.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • powerhandpowerhand Frets: 198
    Dan Erlewine literally dragged the edge of a Tele along some bricks/stones to get that effect

Great video - thanks for sharing. 
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    powerhand said:
    WezV said:
    Oldish butter knife works very well for this.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    powerhand said:
    WezV said:
    My preference is to use liquid mask on the bare body so that when I spray those bits don't get 'painted' (as an initial step).
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    I start with a dint then enlarge with a Yale type key using various points of key to create an eregular 'chip'. I try and leave tiny bits of finish in the 'Chip'. Soften the edges with wire wool and wax. Think where guitars wear. Forearm edge. Along bottom of guitar where it would be leaned against a wall/amp. Around the input. Buckle rash. Random dints/chips here and there. Rarely in the cutouts. Look at loads of genuine guitars on goggle and try to be less is better than more.
    i am trying some masking on the current one, because it has a significant area of old wear we want to keep.   I am hopeful this will get me in the right  ball park, but i doubt it will give me an edge i am happy looks totally right.I assume i will still need to add a bit of manual wear and softening of sharp edges to get it there

I have used Washi masking tape from wilkos.   I tried this on binding and got amazingly clean lines

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-washi-masking-tape-smooth-48mm-x-20m/p/0454512

It cuts well, tears nicely, sticks well but peels off with no residue... and best of all, its a bit translucent so

you can see what you are doing

Obviously its just step 1, but i am confident this will get me where i need to be on this one
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    It’s worth noting that the fretboard is very eco conscious. With that in mind I have recycled the paint from @WezV ‘s tele for this one ;)

https://i.imgur.com/bO1LUZh.jpg
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom