A new fanned fret, a bit less vintage than recent builds

What's Hot
WezVWezV Frets: 16665
I shouldn't really start a new build thread, as i have loads of stuff to do - but this is something i have been promising my cousin for a few years.

its going to be a through neck, vaguely Caparison inspired 6 string with fanned frets..  i have not designed it yet, but started on the wood prep

he has asked me to use a piece of old mahogany from his mothers fireplace - its been the mantle in an old farmhouse for a long time.   Its nicely dry, very light and has a great tap tone.   He won;t let me build a les paul out of it, so its getting used for the wings on this

neck is 5-piece

with some nice flame

and he has stolen a fretboard i was going to use on a headless for me, but that's okay

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Nice wood Wez!*

*Never thought I'd say that to a chap!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    the neck has been glued up with some wenge veneer

nice amount of flame in it

made a template for the body and roughly cut the wings to shape

and cleaned the top up a bit

My cousin is a big fan of the Caparison shape and headstock so since this is a non-profit build for a family member i may go with it,  The shape is slightly tweaked and downsized a bit, halfway between an N4 or dinky and full strat dimensions

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    That's a nice bit of wood.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It’s actually quite a low grade because the strongest figure is at the narrowest point, it’s not consistent, it’s too dark etc...

but its its the kind of wood I like.  A lot more interesting 
    i have not forgotten about this one, but was banned from doing any wood work for a bit.

Then i went to cut the neck blank out and it became apparent my 25+ year old little bandsaw wasn't going to cut it.  I struggled to get decent blades for it last time i looked a few years back, but found Tuffsaws had some this time around.

I was thinking of scrapping the old thing, but the new blades and a good clean and service have worked wonders

you can see where i gave up with the old blades and started with the new

its one of these little things - apparently still capable of cutting through 4" laminated maple with the right blade.   It was second hand and quite worn when i got it.   its cut out every guitar i have ever made except the very first one.   i am sure it will keep going a bit longer

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    Looking great already. Will be watching with interest
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    I can definitely vouch for new band saw blades, it transformed my second hand kity along with a set up, it's not perfect but good enough for my needs 

I got the bi metal ones i think
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335

I got the bi metal ones i think
    Do they cut both ways?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Somehow missed this.  What are the scale lengths, @WezV ?
    back on to this now

top is joined  and is currently being laminated with a wenge backing.  Fretboard has been cut out and also laminated to some wenge, that is currently being stuck to the neck shaft.   

i am liking the top.   Its been a while since i did anything with quilt.  This was a bit of a reject piece because the consistent  figure is at the narrow end.

• Is that water on the wood just to make the quilt show up in the photo?
    a bit of white spirit.     water would make the wood want to curl up, and i have just spent a few weeks weighing this one down to make it flat enough for clamping together
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 414
    I can see a demon's face and fallopian tubes in the quilt . If you could make the face stand out more that would be cool.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:
    a bit of white spirit.     water would make the wood want to curl up, and i have just spent a few weeks weighing this one down to make it flat enough for clamping together
    Does that not affect the way you finish it? i.e. does paint and oil not react with it? Every day is a school day.
    I have not had an issue with it, but it is early in the process.

it will get wiped down with water prior to finish sanding.  It will get wiped with thinners prior to spraying.
    now its a pile of parts

Given the maple/maple neck/fretboard combo i added a wenge accent line under the fretboard

and teh top has been roughly cut out to slot over the fretboard.  don;t want to trim it too much at this stage.

we have agreed the top will be a trans black burst..  the rest will be natural
    Somehow missed this.  What are the scale lengths, @WezV ?
    and i missed yours.    i just checked and its 25.5-27.25".   There or there abouts.  This is a board GSP did for me years ago as a sample
    starting ti plan the inlay.   this ones going to be really complicated.

this is the inspiration (it won't be a copy, there isn't room for that level of detail), so i need to practice my engraving. ....

If that doesn't work, i have a backup plan

i have radiused that block to 12" and polished it up along with a spare bit of black pearl.  They are glued to the block for easy handling

then i did some practice runs at some straight lines and curves with a new graver from smallwonder.  The straight lines were not quite deep enough, and the curves are not quite smooth enough... but i think its a promising start and i am getting used to the graver

two years later - i have this ready for paint and some sealer on it.   Went with an engraving straight in the board in the end... not perfect, but looks okay if you squint