New tele has 'rings' - advice, please!

What's Hot
RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
edited June 2018 in Off Topic
I recently purchased a shiny new Panasonic tv.  It's rather good. 

However, during certain programmes, the colours appear 'stripy' - almost as if they're not blending together.  Any ideas what could cause this, or a setting that I can adjust to fix it?....

Hopefully this scene from Mr Robot shows what I'm talking about.... note the highlight and then the 'rings' as the highlight gets darker....

https://i.imgur.com/wVCr7JG.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Ive seen this on a couple of my tellys as well  (LG's).  Whilst i haven't done any in depth research I think it happen on some downloaded or heavily compressed compressed streamed shows.  I assume its to do with the level of picture quality of the program being lower than the TVs capability and the TV having to do its best.   I could of course be very wrong but just wanted to say that its not just Panasonics.  

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    Are you watching a 1080p broadcast on a 4K TV? I'm wondering it's a resolution problem with the source material?
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    edited June 2018
    It’s due to the compression. Low bitrate 8-bit compression always has a lot of artefacts, especially on blocks of almost solid colour like sky or that wall. 

Have you got got fast enough internet to be streaming best quality? Does your tv offer some sort of dithering option in the settings?

edit: Also telly not tele!
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    edited June 2018
    Looks like a compression issue, rather than a display issue. You get the same thing with photos exported out of lightroom if you compress them too much. 

It could well be that Netflix is giving you the best resolution it can with the available bandwidth but having to compress the detail in the colours to keep that stable. And the new TV (4k?) is able to show you those colours more accurately than the old one, so you notice this effect.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7847
    Take it back. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    Interesting, thank you.  

The tele is indeed a 4K effort - and I believe Amazon Prime was streaming in 1080. Our broadband signal is very good, so I'll try adjusting the tele's settings down to HD rather than UHD and see what happens...

Cheers everyone.  
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24298
    In the interim, you could smear a thin layer of vaseline on your glasses.  This will help blur the problem out.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16090
    compressed
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    RobDavies said:
    Interesting, thank you.  

The tele is indeed
    The telly!
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Lured me (and I suspect others in) with tales of rings on a Tele. It is indeed a TELLY!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4500
    Hattigol said:
    Lured me (and I suspect others in) with tales of rings on a Tele. It is indeed a TELLY!
    Agreed.  My first thought when I saw the thread title was, "stop using your guitar as a coaster, then."
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    That looks like compression artefacting to me.

Amazon's algorithms for "gracefully" lowering bit rate when a temporary network problem cuts bandwidth are not in the league of Netflix's, especially near the start of a program often Amazon (and Now TV) look godawful when they want to.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    If you played a bluray through it, you wouldn't see those. If you're playing online video the compression algorithms they use often give these kind of artefacts. It also depends on the bandwidth you have available to you on your connection and the bandwidth available on the Internet backbone from the streaming service. These things might change throughout the stream so sometimes these artefacts will be more obvious than others.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Almost certainly a bandwidth issue, if possible you can connect the TV to your router with an Ethernet cable and it should make things a bit faster. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    edited June 2018
    you even get this on old Cathode ray TVs in low light contrast. It must be due to the digital scanning ratios cos it never did before switchover...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d4/59/30/d459307376db248835e4d1c34f91a8a2.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Emp_Fab said:
    In the interim, you could smear a thin layer of vaseline on your glasses.  This will help blur the problem out.
    Or wear a stocking over your head.

Just remember to take it off before you answer the door.
  • UnorthodoxUnorthodox Frets: 395
    Adding some image noise can help (that is if you have the option). Or you could check your TV for some sort of colour management/noise reduction options.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    The other thing to do is to calibrate your TV or try one of the "cinema" settings.

The default settings for a TV are to look good in a shop, with high contrast and brightness, which just amplify this sort of thing.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    I call this "JPEG-ing" because you often see those rings when's there's large flat areas of graduated tone or colour in photos that have been compressed in the JPEG format. The other compression artefact I see often is moving water becoming blocky when there's too much detail in a broken water surface (typically sea or a lake or something) for the compression to deal with.