Can you make a less expensive Strat feel/play/sound as good as a Custom Shop?

What's Hot
Kind of fell in love with a Strat the other day but it was Custom Shop and with that tag comes...££££. So it got me thinking, what made it so good?

What makes a Custom Shop Strat (or any good Strat) play and feel so good?

Can the right upgrades and setup make a MiJ/MiM or standard line Strat play as nicely as a Custom Shop does?

The bridge on this one felt slinky and nice and didn't click like my old USA vintage RI did - would a Callaham bridge tick that box or is it all down to setup? The fingerboard felt played in and the neck smooth and easy.

I know a lot of this is subjective, but it's something that's bugging me and I'd like your thoughts. Ta
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Kind of fell in love with a Strat the other day but it was Custom Shop and with that tag comes...££££. So it got me thinking, what made it so good?

What makes a Custom Shop Strat (or any good Strat) play and feel so good?

Can the right upgrades and setup make a MiJ/MiM or standard line Strat play as nicely as a Custom Shop does?

The bridge on this one felt slinky and nice and didn't click like my old USA vintage RI did - would a Callaham bridge tick that box or is it all down to setup? The fingerboard felt played in and the neck smooth and easy.

I know a lot of this is subjective, but it's something that's bugging me and I'd like your thoughts. Ta
    "Click"?

If you mean the slop between the arm and the trem block... well, give it time. It will clonk, especially if the soppy little spring falls out that sits under the arm.

A Callaham bridge makes a big difference to the feel of the arm - but then, so does fitting a new bridge block from Kev Hurley... and there is a world of difference in prices, and IMHO the Hurley solution is brilliant.

My old Jap Strat held its own against a room full of Custom Shop Strats at Coda Music - I had £4k to spend on a CS guitar, and genuinely it sounded as good (if not better thanks to the Mojo pickups) and felt great to me (years and years of playing that neck). I walked out with a PRS instead... but thats a different story.

SOME Custom Shop guitars are incredible, though... @meltedbuzzbox recently had his wallet sobbing gently after playing quite simply the best Fender Jaguar of any age, colour, creed or description I've ever encountered. Even with a £3k price tag, it had to come home. Its not just about the fittings, or even the fit and finish - they do select some incredible pieces of wood. Whether or not that makes a difference to your playing experience is only something you can decide - and whether paying those sums are justifed to you.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    I personally think that you can make a guitar as good as a custom shop. My No1 strat is one that I got off here (or the old forum as it was!) and is a partscaster that slays all the custom shops I've played, so much so that it needs a refret now.
    You can make any guitar better with tweaks, how good is how much you're willing to put into it, but that's for the makers on here to debate.

What was it (apart from the bridge) that made it spot on for you?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    You can get a MIJ Strat nearly there but it’s very reliant on how resonant the body and neck are. Hardware is easy to swap out but it’s the fundamentals that are most important here
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493

I think the instrument would have to be pretty decent in the first place. I've owned some MIJ Fenders that were so truly shite no amount of upgrades would improve the dogs they were!
  • impmann said:
    "Click"?
    Yeah, a click upon first movement of the arm, thereafter it seemed ok...until the next use after a break. I thought it may have been inherent in all Fenders until I tried this CS.
    horsehead said:

What was it (apart from the bridge) that made it spot on for you?
    Fretboard felt lovely, well balanced, good weight - not too heavy, not too light, medium jumbo frets, good mix of pickups (obviously achieveable on a lesser guitar), felt vintage, looked vintage, but yes - ultimately, the bridge was the biggest surprise.

• interstellarinterstellar Frets: 486
    easily buy a K-Line 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    impmann said:
    "Click"?
    Yeah, a click upon first movement of the arm, thereafter it seemed ok...until the next use after a break. I thought it may have been inherent in all Fenders until I tried this CS.

I think that's the spring/slop you're experiencing... an easy fix using a proven engineering solution (nylon sleeve) but so far, Fender have refused to acknowledge it.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    The MIJ, MIM Fenders don't normally have nitro finish, so I don't think you will normally be able to completely replicate what you get with the CS.

Having said that, the right one can get very close, but as @sweepy said it does depend on the body and neck being good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    In my experiments I've made a guitar neck and frets feel much better, and I'd say that is the easiest quickest and cheapest improvement that really delivers a consistent benefit on any guitar.  Another notable improvement is a high quality replacement bridge. And good pots and switches. Pickups are less predictable, they and the guitar need to marry well.

But if the wood of a guitar is not good then there is a limit to what can be achieved with that guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I've owned far too many electric guitars. I've covered most of the ranges and I've modded/part swapped and done all sorts of stuff. I cant remember a time when I had below 10 electrics at once. 
    Since finding the right Custom shop instruments I am down to 3, (well 4 but I never play the mim Telecaster). 
    I dont look at the classifieds any more, I dont ever sit and wonder. Yes they were expensive but for that level of mental resolution they have been priceless. 
    YMMV and all that jazz
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    impmann said:
    "Click"?

I think that's the spring/slop you're experiencing... an easy fix using a proven engineering solution (nylon sleeve) but so far, Fender have refused to acknowledge it.
    This is good to know! Thank you. Felt like a spring thing, to me. Think you're spot on there.

I've owned far too many electric guitars. I've covered most of the ranges and I've modded/part swapped and done all sorts of stuff. I cant remember a time when I had below 10 electrics at once. 
    Since finding the right Custom shop instruments I am down to 3, (well 4 but I never play the mim Telecaster). 
    I dont look at the classifieds any more, I dont ever sit and wonder. Yes they were expensive but for that level of mental resolution they have been priceless. 
    YMMV and all that jazz
    This is what worries me. That mental thing is real!

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5732
    I much prefer my beaten and abused old MiM Strat to any of the custom shop flavours I’ve played. It’s completely satisfied my Strat GAS and I don’t ever look at any others, as I’ve already sold off much better guitars because I didn’t like playing them as much, so they just gathered dust. 

I’d never say it’s as good as a CS Strat though, Its simply not. It just happens to feel and sound right to me. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    dazzajl said:
    ...It just happens to feel and sound right to me. 
    and thats the most important bit
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • scalino65scalino65 Frets: 261
    MIJ squires, for me, have some of the best necks ever. I re-fin in nitro myself and fitted some oil city pick ups. It's very,very nice. I have had loads of CS strats and I prefer it to 90 per cent of the ones I had. Owes me 4
  • scalino65scalino65 Frets: 261
    450quid...
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Are you able to find somewhere that you could try out the David Gilmour signature Black Strat? Could be right up your street, if I had the spare dosh I'd have one in a heartbeat!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • Interesting stuff indeed, keep it coming.

@Gassage you have any thoughts on this, being a Strat connoisseur?

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    there are so many subsets of Fenders new or used over many years, so the answer to the OP is - YES!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    zepp76 said:
    Are you able to find somewhere that you could try out the David Gilmour signature Black Strat? Could be right up your street, if I had the spare dosh I'd have one in a heartbeat!
    I'm not that into Signature stuff, mate, tbh. It looks incredible, but nah, not really my thing - I'd change a few specs, mainly radius etc. Bet it's awesome though! :-)

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Yes and No... If it sounds like a dog compared to other stuff at price range then don't do it...

If sounds a bit better than most at price range then go on to consider how rest looks and feels and if its worth spending on the upgraded.

I'd say that way is a good idea to avoid those guitars that sound no quite as good as they should regardless of upgrades.