Grass Cutting

What's Hot

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    VimFuego said:
    well, it's part of how I earn, so guess I kinda have to like it, sure beats working in a office. For pleasure, when I'm not being paid, I prefer to mow grass with a scythe. 
    I could use you at my place :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I like a good mow. Rarely goes over a week between cuts. Missed last week with childminding and rain. Might do it this evening.

Weeding for the daughter for weeks as her husband is a complete numpty
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    Hate it. 
    We have removed our lawns
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    edited June 2018
      God: Hey St. Francis, you know all about gardens and nature. What in the world is going on down there in the Midwest? What happened to the dandelions, violets, thistle and stuff I started eons ago? I had a perfect "no maintenance" garden plan. Those plants grow in any type of soil, withstand drought and multiply with abandon. The nectar from the long lasting blossoms attracts butterflies, honey bees and flocks of songbirds. I expected to see a vast garden of colors by now. But all I see are these green rectangles.St. Francis: It's the tribes that settled there, Lord. The Suburbanites. They started calling your flowers "weeds" and went to great lengths to kill them and replace them with grass.God: Grass? But it's so boring. It's not colorful. It doesn't attract butterflies, birds and bees, only grubs and sod worms. It's temperamental with temperatures. Do these Suburbanites really want all that grass growing there?St. Francis: Apparently so, Lord. They go to great pains to grow it and keep it green. The begin each spring by fertilizing grass and poisoning any other plant that crops up in the lawn.God: The spring rains and warm weather probably make grass grow really fast. That must make the Suburbanites happy.St. Francis: Apparently not, Lord. As soon as it grows a little, they cut it... sometimes twice a week.God: They cut it? Do they then bail it like hay?St. Francis: Not exactly, Lord. Most of them rake it up and put it in bags.God: They bag it? Why? Is it a cash crop? Do they sell it?St. Francis: No Sir. Just the opposite. They pay to throw it away.God: Now let me get this straight. They fertilize grass so when it does grow, they cut it off and pay to throw it away?St. Francis: Yes, Sir.God: These Suburbanites must be relieved in the summer when we cut back on the rain and turn up the heat. That surely slows the growth and saves them a lot of work.St. Francis: You are not going to believe this Lord. When the grass stops growing so fast, they drag out hoses and pay more money to water it so they can continue to mow it and pay to get rid of it.God: What nonsense. At least they kept some of the trees. That was a sheer stroke of genius, if I do say so myself. The trees grow leaves in the spring to provide beauty and shade in the summer. In the autumn they fall to the ground and form a natural blanket to keep moisture in the soil and protect the trees and bushes. Plus, as they rot, the leaves form compost to enhance the soil. It's a natural circle of life.St. Francis: You better sit down, Lord. The Suburbanites have drawn a new circle. As soon as the leaves fall, they rake them into great piles and pay to have them hauled away.God: No. What do they do to protect the shrub and tree roots in the winter and to keep the soil moist and loose?St. Francis: After throwing away the leaves, they go out and buy something which they call mulch. The haul it home and spread it around in place of the leaves.God: And where do they get this mulch?St. Francis: They cut down trees and grind them up to make the mulch.God: Enough. I don't want to think about this anymore. Sister Catherine, you're in charge of the arts. What movie have you scheduled for us tonight?Sister Catherine: "Dumb and Dumber", Lord. It's a real stupid movie about.....God: Never mind, I think I just heard the whole story from St. Francis.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1769
    ESBlonde said:
    I like it. Petrol rotary jobbie. I get exercise, the lawns look lovely, I cut a couple of neigbours front lawns too and the little old lady on the corner gets front and back done as well as some of the footpath at the back of our properties.
    I also get to collect all that compostable material to make great compost. It's the kind of job where your mind can relax and wonder while you achieve something.
    How do you stop all that grass in the compost heap just becoming silage? I've read that it needs a good mix of brown things (cardboard, leaves, etc) to make a healthy compost heap but I've never been very successful with adding much grass.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16082
    Get a little man in.
    If you add the cost of Lawnmower,servicing,blade sharpening and petrol it's actually cheaper to get a gardner..........same with washing your own car..
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    oi, I'm 6'5" and 17stone of work hardened muscle, less of the little. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• DominicDominic Frets: 16082
    Exactly;I don't want to pay by the Pound
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1377
    BigMonka said:
    ESBlonde said:
    I like it. Petrol rotary jobbie. I get exercise, the lawns look lovely, I cut a couple of neigbours front lawns too and the little old lady on the corner gets front and back done as well as some of the footpath at the back of our properties.
    I also get to collect all that compostable material to make great compost. It's the kind of job where your mind can relax and wonder while you achieve something.
    How do you stop all that grass in the compost heap just becoming silage? I've read that it needs a good mix of brown things (cardboard, leaves, etc) to make a healthy compost heap but I've never been very successful with adding much grass.
    Add water and oxygen. Seriously. If you pile on grass and leave it it doesn't rot down. Just results in dry cuttings or sludge. If you add leaves, kitchen waste, coffee grounds, and yes cardboard, and turn it reasonably regularly it will rot down and quite quickly. Avoid putting any weeds in it- you may not get temperatures required to kill any seeds. Once decent, spread it on your flower beds as a mulch. 100% organic and it's good exercise!
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    rsvmark said:
    BigMonka said:
    ESBlonde said:
    Add water and oxygen. Seriously. If you pile on grass and leave it it doesn't rot down. Just results in dry cuttings or sludge. If you add leaves, kitchen waste, coffee grounds, and yes cardboard, and turn it reasonably regularly it will rot down and quite quickly. Avoid putting any weeds in it- you may not get temperatures required to kill any seeds. Once decent, spread it on your flower beds as a mulch. 100% organic and it's good exercise!
    I shred my hedge cuttings, I make sawdust and shavings in the garage workshop, I collect brown cardboard, I add the kitchen waste, I keep a couple of bags of autumn leaves. I add all these to the grass and then turn the pile once or maybe twice. By next spring I have about 8 or 9 wheelbarrow loads of rich compost.
    You can aid or increase therate of breakdown with stinging nettles added and urine also works for this purpose, more regular turning to get air to the living activity can make a lot of difference if you have the time and energy.

• the only thing I hate about it is the edges - I can't seem to ever find a strimmer that isn't a total waste of space - the plastic wire pings off, the reel gets jammed, etc. and it's hateful. Any recommendations? I've not got a large garden at all, but lots of corners, edges and overhangs that need sorting.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4689

I have a small push mower that sits outside, under cover.  I cut the grass probably twice a week and it takes about 10 mins.

It's the kind of job I do when I'm walking past it.  Used to have a petrol mower but it was a pain.  The garden is not massive so I can get away with a push mower, it's just shit if you let the grass grow long (i.e. when you go on holiday).

the only thing I hate about it is the edges - I can't seem to ever find a strimmer that isn't a total waste of space - the plastic wire pings off, the reel gets jammed, etc. and it's hateful. Any recommendations? I've not got a large garden at all, but lots of corners, edges and overhangs that need sorting.
    I have a tanaka petrol strimmer, and use pro quality cord (the stuff sold in DIY places is too soft IME). In general, for petrol strimmers, you can't go wrong with a stihl, however, I'm using one at a clients and the new super easy to load head they have means you have to use stihl cord, which I find too soft. But that said, still the best petrol strimmers you can buy IME.
    When you say the reel jams, do you mean with long grass? I actually don't like using a strimmer on large areas of long grass, it's not the best tool for the job.
    re the edging, if it's only a small length, then you may be better off getting a good pair of shears. 

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    the only thing I hate about it is the edges - I can't seem to ever find a strimmer that isn't a total waste of space - the plastic wire pings off, the reel gets jammed, etc. and it's hateful. Any recommendations? I've not got a large garden at all, but lots of corners, edges and overhangs that need sorting.
    Long handle shears are less of a pain for a small job. I've got a Ryobi petrol strimmer that I swapped for a cheap studio mic once. The bump head/plastic string feeder is a pain, so much so that I've now bought 'pro' quality string and a spare brand new bump head so I can just switch heads rather than fiddle about mid job to untangle the plastic that won't feed. I like to think I'm quite the practicle man, but I've tried all sorts to get a decent consistent feed. Tight wrap, loose wrap, long wrap, short wrap, thicker wrap, you name it it's all a pain. Anyway old bump head washed, fettled and recharged, new bump head ready to go. I just have to have the job and enthusiasm to use it. Oh and keep your 'string' out of the sunlight in the shed during winter, don't ask why I know this!

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    I used to hate it, but in our new house we have big grass areas (won't call them lawns) so I have to get on with it.
    Then I bought a good petrol mower, self-propelled, electric start, and now I really like it.
    As a petrol head, it's something with an engine that I can drive and tinker with.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    AstroTurf is your friend, the new stuff s very good indeed 
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3137
    tFB Trader
    martinw said:
    I used to hate it, but in our new house we have big grass areas (won't call them lawns) so I have to get on with it.
    Then I bought a good petrol mower, self-propelled, electric start, and now I really like it.
    As a petrol head, it's something with an engine that I can drive and tinker with.
    I'm completely with you there Martin. Nothing beats getting the petrol mower out in Spring, stripping the carb down and rebuilding, new spark plug, oil, gaskets and seals. Firing her up with fresh 95ron and getting on with it.

I upgraded this year to a 173cc Motor with a 53cm blade, self-propelled drive and a 70l collector. Mega.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    RiftAmps said:
    martinw said:

I upgraded this year to a 173cc Motor with a 53cm blade, self-propelled drive and a 70l collector. Mega.
    Nice. I've got 158cc's myself, with a mere 16" blade, a classic Hayter Harrier.
    Yep, I'm a lawn mower geek!
    :) 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    sweepy said:
    AstroTurf is your friend, the new stuff s very good indeed 

Bloke round the corner from us put some down, the same night someone came with a van and nicked it!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    sounds like he got grassed up.

Ithangyou. 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom