Two delay pedals / dual delay

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10681
Hi all,

I have two DD3s in series, and wonder if there are any nice effects others use? I usually use them separately, one set to long, the other set to short, but sometimes I use them together, for example like this:

For nice chiming effect with a lilting beat:
1st pedal: level 80%, speed 1000ms, feedback 40%
2nd pedal: level 40%, speed 500ms, feedback 0%

As above but in 6/8:
1st pedal: level 80%, speed 1000ms, feedback 40%
2nd pedal: level 40%, speed 333ms, feedback 0%

For syncopated 3-over-2 beat:
1st pedal: level 60%, speed 500ms, feedback 30%
2nd pedal: level 60%, speed 750ms, feedback 30%

Anyone else using two pedals?
Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Yep. Sometimes 3 delays in a row if you're ant to get really ambient.

Andy Othling does a great demo on delay settings for multiple pedals. 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26919
    Not 2 pedals, but I love the dual settings on the Echosystem. I'll usually use it for something rhythmic and bouncy, but it can be great with a regular 300ms-ish delay into something swirly and ambient
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Actually this was the demo I was thinking of

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I use 3 or 4 in the Helix depending on what I'm looking for. Probably don't need that many, but its nice to see what adding more with other reverbs can achieve. I love stacking delays and reverb and add a bit of pitch +/- octave with a volume pedal and I get lost for hours.
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited June 2018
    Fuengi said:
    Actually this was the demo I was thinking of

Both were really interesting thank you. 

I think I’m more keen on the more ‘plucking’ sound than the ambient wash. I like the off-kilter repeats it gives you. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352

HIs Ambient #22 is a piece of music I come back to again and again

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    I sometimes use two compressors. It gives a cool kick drum effect to the attack on bass. Works well on guitar too.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I do have two delay pedals and I will have them on together but I can't say it's a sophisticated thing. MXR Carbon Copy for slapback and Minifooger for a 'big' delay. 
    Interesting that it has to be the CC first, if it's second in the chain it effectively disappears with both pedals on. The effect I have is sort of wobble wobble wobble burp - it's not a smooth but more frequent set of repeats, there are definite peaks. If I have reverb on as well with either or both delays it smooths out the trails but in a band context that can be a bit indistinct and you are just playing a wall of mush. 
    I like the Billy Duffy dual delay thing ( 400 and 800 ms according to a quick Google) which is probably similar to the first example given by @viz although I don't have any obvious use for it. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 879
    If you are playing along to music with a known Beats per Minute this delay calculator might be helpful.