Self setup or get someone else to do it

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    I'd definitely recommend the Dan Erlewine books - very good step by step to the entire process.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I'm assuming the shop/retailer can't be approached for a setup?

Lots of good advice here. I'd also add that you shouldn't aim to do it perfect on the first go, kind of sneak up on it as it were. Nut slots are the hardest and most important, but if the depths are right and the strings don't binde (add some pencil lead/graphite as lube), the rest is simple mechanical adjustments for a basic setup. Do the adjustments and play a few days, then see if you can tweak it some more.

If the frets prove to be level and reasonably crowned, you can mask the fingerboard with tape and polish them with duraglit, brasso or your metal polish of choice. that polished feel is quite nice and makes playing easier.

Also only try to set the intonation/string length with brand new strings, anything else will have you tearing your hair out chasing the ellusive correct pitch on your tuner.

It's worth developing the skill if you are likely to own a series of guitars over your playing career, otherwise pay a one off fee to a pro and tell them exactly what you like.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    Concentrate on playing your guitar and get a tech to adjust/set it up as you want it. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Rocker said:
    Concentrate on playing your guitar and get a tech to adjust/set it up as you want it. 

Can get expensive.

I think I've adjusted 3 truss rods over the last year or so.  If I'd taken that for a pro set up each time at London prices, it would have cost me a significant chunk of money.

It does depend how many guitars you have.  If you only have one, then getting it set up every now and again won't cost a fortune.  If you have lots, then you need to learn to do it yourself.  Having said that, the first time I adjusted the truss rod on a CS Fender with body end adjustment was a bit nerve racking.

Nuts are the most difficult, and decent nut files are very expensive.  I can understand taking those to a pro, but adjusting truss rods and bridges is not difficult.

• VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    Make enquiries with local guitar techs about their charges for a set-up. Chances are that a smaller sum of money will land you a copy of How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great by Dan Erlewine.
    This book is really good.  If its the one I think it is then it has sections in it that explains how certain famous players have their guitars set-up as well. 
    Actually just checked and the one I gave is called The Guitar Player Repair Guide - might be the same thing under a slightly different name?  I found it really useful to get an understanding of what the various parts do and how they can be adjusted.  Worth having and reading even if you then take it to a tech in the end.

I only did a simple set-up on mine and my daughter's guitars and quite enjoyed it and got decent results.  Am sure they can be tweaked more but its ok for us right now.

I also bought a few tools - like radius gauges, string action ruler etc.  quite cheap off Ebay.

As others have said, take your time and go slowly.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    robgilmo said:
    I don't think I have ever seen a you tube video that explains things properly, for instance I wouldn't cut the groove of a nut to lower the string height, for me cutting the nut grooves is to enable the strings to sit correctly in the groove. Setting the relief and action, I do this by making the neck flat, set action so the last frets don't buzz (the truss rod doesn't bend this part of the neck) then set relief to eliminate any buzzing lower down the neck. I guess we all do things differently but the end result should be the same.
    If the action at the first few frets is high then I don't think there's any other way to correct that than to cut the nut slots or file the whole nut from the bottom if the slots are all exactly the same amount too high.

Nut cutting is probably the most difficult part of a home setup and requires special (expensive) tools but it's necessary most of the time for a proper setup.
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1264
    Do it yourself unless it needs modifications in order to play well. 
  • Some of my guitars havent needed a full setup so i’ve tried to do bits myself - thats said i wouldnt attempt working on the nut and on a couple of mine that needed work i felt it was money well spent.
    My jagstang was bad until i had a full setup done professionally, similar thing with my midtown as well.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Vinylfan said:
    How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great by Dan Erlewine.
    This book is really good.  If its the one I think it is then it has sections in it that explains how certain famous players have their guitars set-up as well. 
    Actually just checked and the one I have is called The Guitar Player Repair Guide - might be the same thing under a slightly different name?
    Two different titles (and content) from the same author.

WezV said:
    budget for tools etc and the price you may have to pay if you don't get it right.
    There is an overlap between set-up (making adjustments) and more involved tasks such as nut slotting, fret heights and profiles. This is where the skills of an experienced guitar tech win out.
    Be seeing you.
    Vinylfan said:
    How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great by Dan Erlewine.
    Actually just checked and the one I have is called The Guitar Player Repair Guide - might be the same thing under a slightly different name?
    Two different titles (and content) from the same author.

WezV said:
    budget for tools etc and the price you may have to pay if you don't get it right.
    There is an overlap between set-up (making adjustments) and more involved tasks such as nut slotting, fret heights and profiles. This is where the skills of an experienced guitar tech win out.
    The last time I put guitars in for a setup it was purely for the nut-cutting (they didn't seem to offer just that service for any cheaper than a setup) - because I can do the rest of the setup myself - but the setup job seemed to have been delegated to someone completely clueless and they came back without the nut slots being touched at all (the only thing that even needed adjusting) and the rest of the setup had been basically botched, the pickups on the bass were so high they completely distorted the amp.

I was so annoyed at this that I forked out for proper gauged nut files and thought I'd try to learn how to cut the nuts properly but I found it to be quite difficult to do very well. I think one would really need to work in a shop to get enough experience to perfectly cut a nut every time so for my most recent guitar I just put it in to get a new nut installed rather than bothering with filing the existing one. May well sell the files.
  • neilgneilg Frets: 94
    edited June 2018
    I've cut the nuts on three guitars so far, on the first I probably went a smidgen too far but it's a guitar I rarely played, the other two have been fine.  I did get proper nut files though.

I just took it slowly taking measurements with a feeler gauge and made sure there was no dust in the slots before dropping the strings back in.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Last week I spent a Sunday afternoon trying to eliminate the fret buzz with a mate who built my guitar. His judgment was take it to the guitar tech. 
    It turns out the neck curves at the 9th fret instead of the 7th. A light fret work fixed the problem and restored the worn frets. The action is perfect and the guitar plays like new. 
    So I suggest try what you can with the help of a dan erlewine book and YouTube videos and then take it to the tech. Advice already suggested and confirmed by my experience. 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    edited June 2018
    The whole set up thing is pretty much alchemy with all the separate adjustments needing to work in harmony.

I'm handy but Feline did my US Strat with a fret level, lovely job.

Although I've adjusted truss rods previously my Classic Strat has the adjustment at the butt end and I'm not taking the neck off!
    Neil said:
    The whole set up thing is pretty much alchemy with all the separate adjustments needing to work in harmony.

Although I've adjusted truss rods previously my Classic Strat has the adjustment at the butt end and I'm not taking the neck off!
    If you loosen the neck screws enough, the neck should come up enough to adjust the truss rod without having to take the neck off.

Still a pest compared to adjustment at the headstock though, wish my bass had the latter.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Neil said:

As @thegummy said, you don't have to take the neck completely off.

It's a bit nerve wracking when you first do it, but I've done it on 3 or 4 different instruments now without breaking anything.

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Make enquiries with local guitar techs about their charges for a set-up. Chances are that a smaller sum of money will land you a copy of How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great by Dan Erlewine.

That's _the_ best book for learning how to do set ups.  The only book you'll ever need!