Telecasters

What's Hot
SimonCSimonC Frets: 1391
With advancing, years, not only do I find myself curiously drawn to Volvos, but I’m slowly succumbing to the idea of owning aTelecaster.

At the moment, my head says that I should be looking at a Squier Classic Vibe as an entry point, but my heart is leaning to saving the extra dosh for a Baja Classic player.

Is the extras cash for the Baja justified?

Obviously I’ll be intending to compare a few, but any opinions are gratefully received.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    SimonC said:

Is the extras cash for the Baja justified?

Played strats since day one... just bought a second hand Baja Tele... other guitars are now no longer getting a look in...

The butterscotch baja is very good, absolutely lovely neck on it... not sure if the others have the same neck tho’ 

but yes, get a baja!...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    I own one of these and after a pickup change I have to say it is a very good guitar. (and I dont particularly like Teles/cant bond with them)

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-classic-series-50s-telecaster-lacquer-white-blonde/82593?gclid=CjwKCAjw9qfZBRA5EiwAiq0AbXfU03IPYmo7ubcgFfjWONH-aupEBvuzGuCpQpqMCntnlIQpQJ2nPhoCp4gQAvD_BwE
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7143
    yeah, I'd second the Mexican Classic series recommendation; I have the Tele Custom, and a few tweaks (pickups and nut mainly) its a great guitar. Light as a feather, really well put together... cannot argue. They can be had for £400-500 S/H all day long. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    I'd go with a Classic series Tele. I've tried the Baja, I know they get a lot of love, but I didn't like it very much, neck shape and pickups, both didn't suit. I've not played the Squire but reports I've read say they can be heavy so it might be worth trying a few.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Tele's with Fender on the headstock are OK and the Baja gets great reviews. I  just bought a Volvo last year and also own two Teles after over 3 decades never owning one. I have a Lite Ashe model and then went and added a 52 blackguard reissue.
    Also the Harley Benton range of Telecaster types are getting some good reviews from players (pickups might be the weak point). And used G&L ASAT guitars are fabulous value for money.
    Go experiment and find one to play, then buy another , and another.

• riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    Have a look on the TDPRI forum if you need convincing about the Baja. They love them over there. 
    I had one and liked it but not enough to keep it in the end.  Now, though, I kind of miss it, like a lot of things I have sold :-(
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    What I should have said also, is that for older folks with less nimble limbs, the Baja neck carve seems more easy to play than the slimmer neck shape of the Classic Vibe, for example.  My hand and wrist seem to have a harder time with thinner necks, so the Baja is worth trying at least, to see how it fits you.  I didnt really use the S1 switching much, but the fourth position was nice for a boosted sort of faux humbucker sound. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I only have a classic vibe neck which is on a partscaster and was pleasantly surprised feels as good as necks on more expensive teles I have tried.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5653
    The cost cutting on the CV squires is always pretty apparent when you hold one. I never quite knew with mine whether the thick finish was painted on or a plastic shell filled with sawdust and resin. 

But like everyone who moved one on the pursuit of something ‘nicer’, I always enjoyed playing it, never found the sound lacking and I wish I’d kept my ‘plastic fantastic tele’
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    SimonC said:
    With advancing, years, not only do I find myself curiously drawn to Volvos, 
    Me too but have you seen what people are asking for a P1800 these days?
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1258
    Oh well, I’m proper old then. Me and the wife both have Volvos and I’ve been a Tele owner for 10+ years.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    The Fender standard ones made in mexico can be had for £450 odd new at the moment. I wish I had the funds cos I’d buy one myself. 

I bought an affinity tele earlier in the year as a cheap test, and I really like it. But when better Fender ones are available for £250 more, I don’t feel so good upgrading bits on it haha. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • ESBlonde said:
    Tele's with Fender on the headstock are OK and the Baja gets great reviews. I  just bought a Volvo last year and also own two Teles after over 3 decades never owning one. I have a Lite Ashe model and then went and added a 52 blackguard reissue.
    Also the Harley Benton range of Telecaster types are getting some good reviews from players (pickups might be the weak point). And used G&L ASAT guitars are fabulous value for money.
    Go experiment and find one to play, then buy another , and another.

I'll vouch for the Harley Benton telecasters. I got one for a modding challenge a few years ago. I was amazed by how good it was out of the box (especially as I paid under £100 Inc postage!)
    The biggest issue was the electrical components- cheap and a bit nasty.
    I admit that I've since modified virtually every part of the guitar, but I happily gigged it as it was. 
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    2nd hand Classic Vibe Tele in butterscotch with a pine body was my first electric guitar about 5 years ago. Was really nice, but you could tell the huge step up in quality when you picked up a MIM or US tele.
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    I lusted after a Baja for a long time, wanting to get hold of the famous neck. Bought one recently and just didn't gel with the neck - it was actually too beefy for me. It is a decent handful with a fair bit of shoulder, which I wasn't expecting on a soft-v. I sold it on and am resigned to having to get Allparts V necks refretted for my future soft-v fix.
    Find one in a shop to try out before committing (although as long as you don't overpay you shouldn't lose money on a used Baja)
    If you're looking for something similar appearance-wise see if you can find one of the butterscotch Standards before they all sell out. A few weeks ago they were going for £460 ish new.
    Or there's a nice Classic 50s for sale in the classifieds for a decent price if you can get on with vintage radius/frets.
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 905
    I really like the Baja necks but i'm not a fan of the butterscotch body, it's like playing a Werthers Original. It comes in sunburst and black though.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413

If you don't like the 50's Baja neck, the 60's version has a different profile.  That was always a rosewood board, but might be Pau Ferro now.  Looks nice in Sonic Blue.

That lacquer Tele that @meltedbuzzbox posted the link to is meant to be pretty good.  The nitro finish would be a decent upgrade as far as I'm concerned.

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Just go for a Mexican standard. If you are going to change pickups anyway you'll get a lovely neck and save a couple of hundred sheets.
    I didnt think the Baja pickups were superior to the ones in the Mex i bought when i A/Bd them in the shop despite the supposed superiority.  
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1391
    Thanks all, some good info there as always.
     I suppose the dilemma is that I’ve not really been keen on Teles for many many years. The urge to acquire one is a fairly recent thing.
     It may be that I just confirm that I really don’t like Teles, in which case, not a lot lost on a CV.
    On the other hand, if I like the CV, I’ll be forever wondering if I should have held out for a full fat Fender.

I’ll go try a few.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    I've got a US Highway Tele and changed the pickups, plays real nice esp for lead playing. Also great for rhythm tracking, with a humbucker guitar as the other one, the blended frequencies are nice.