Best Pedal Platform Amp Head for Between £700-£1000 (Used)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• deloreandelorean Frets: 66
    ICBM said:
    There's a Mesa Blue Angel on Ebay right now. They have a great clean tone and fit the bill as a platform for pedals. I'd be bidding on it myself if I hadn't just bought another Mesa last week. If nobody goes for it I might be tempted to anyway :D
    That's a beautiful-sounding amp, but not a good platform for hard rock or metal with any pedal - it's too deep and loose (which is what makes it nice). I do miss mine a bit and that one is tempting I have to say! But I should probably pass - no master volume makes it too limited even given the minimal amount of overdrive I like nowadays.

The right amp for this job is the Marshall 2202, but unfortunately they don't make it...

I would probably try a Mini Jubilee or a Jet City JCA20H first.
    Cheers @ICBM - I'm off to Andertons on Sunday so I'll give the Mini Jub a blast.  I'm a bit concerned that 20w may not have enough quite enough power to get over our drummer but we shall see...!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 391
    Best pedal platform I have come across and I ignored them for years as they are cheap are the peavey classic 30s and 50s. Takes pedals better than the dr z ezg 50 I had. Just not very boutique or fashionable these days and can be had for peanuts  Change out the blue marvel speaker for a celestion v type and you have a superb amp for around 300 quid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 2858
    leerocker said:
    Best pedal platform I have come across and I ignored them for years as they are cheap are the peavey classic 30s and 50s. Takes pedals better than the dr z ezg 50 I had. Just not very boutique or fashionable these days and can be had for peanuts  Change out the blue marvel speaker for a celestion v type and you have a superb amp for around 300 quid.
    Good shout this, I had a 2x12 50 for years. Better less splashy verb than a Fender and a nice clean channel. The 4x10 is even better. 
  • I made a JTM 45 clone and its pretty good for a pedal platform, even sounds good with a £35 golden plexipedal, I was pretty surprised.
  • AlexHunterAlexHunter Frets: 246
    Dr Z MAZ with the right pedals.  /end thread

https://youtu.be/sbOnQR-FnMw
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 849
    This picture. END OF THREAD NOW.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • lonestarlonestar Frets: 1839
    Mesa Lonestar 
    Owner of SC Relics Guitars 
    www.screlics.co.uk • www.facebook.com/screlics 
    lonestar said:
    Mesa Lonestar 
    Not sure that'll fall within my budget, but I'll take a looksee :)
  • lonestarlonestar Frets: 1839
    delorean said:
    lonestar said:
    Mesa Lonestar 
    Not sure that'll fall within my budget, but I'll take a looksee :)
    Top end of your mentioned budget chap but they’re out there. I was planning to sell mine but second thoughts and all that...
    Owner of SC Relics Guitars 
    www.screlics.co.uk • www.facebook.com/screlics 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 729
    leerocker said:
    Or a Peavey Classic 20 Mini Head. I have one and it compares nicely with my Victory V40.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1433
    Firstly i will say...Matamp!

secondly I will say, its so dependent on what kind of pedals and what kind of music. When i say dependent on what kind of pedals, im mainly referring to whether you're going to use overdrive/distortion or fuzz.

if i was going by my own experience, the best pedal platforms i've had are the Matamp GT1, and the ToeTags Tweed Deluxe clone...the tweed is only 18w, so maybe not relevant to you...but no other big amp has come close to the Matamp. 

I've also had a 70's Marshall Superbass which was great as well, but Matamp is better...i've also had a marshall JTM45, which was great with overdrive and distortion, but not so good with fuzz...again matamp was better.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 1192
    Blackface Fenders, while they have great cleans and take pedals well, aren't really suitable as a clean base for metal tones, bass is far too loose.

A Marshall would be much more suitable, or indeed a Hiwatt.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 5709
    edited July 3
    The most definitive test you'll get for a head with pedals is to scrutinise Brett Kingman's channel as 80% of his (until recently) pedal demos were through his Laney L50H

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    The most definitive test you'll get for a head with pedals is to scrutinise Brett Kingman's channel as 80% of his (until recently) pedal demos were through his Laney L50H

And you can get one here, well within budget, and with an awesome matching cab included in the price - http://www.peachguitars.com/guitar-amps/used-amps/laney-l50-head-and-4x12-cab-used.htm

Tempted myself...

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 890
    As per @StefB and @57Deluxe ;

i use my Laney Lionheart 4x10 combo at home and it’s perfect
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 572
    If you're trying out a Mini Jubilee I'd try an Origin as well if you can, I didn't find my Jubilee was as good a pedal platform, the Origin takes drives better than the jub clean channel.
    Thanks for all the advice and suggestions everyone - After much back and forth, umming and ahhing and to-ing and fro-ing, I've finally gone back around on myself and opted for a Suhr Badger - I'm picking it up next week :)
  • ricorico Frets: 851
    Matamp 1224 or GTO or GTL. Loudest amps in the world.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 817

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blackstar-Artisan-100-Guitar-Amplifier-Head-Freshly-Serviced-100W-LOUD/323119445468?hash=item4b3b6b75dc:g:GtAAAOSwgiRZw~d6

Don't know if IC has ever tried (condemned? ) one but even if you are a died-in-the-wool Bstar hater they are worth a play because they are unlike any of the other range of amps. Completely valved signal path (sstate bridge rect) and the only 'B' amp you could pull two 34s on.

They do go very loud but are very controllable (no shit or bust pots) and pretty much indestructible.

Dave.

• Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 54
    Dual Showman head is great if you like your fender cleans and volume/headroom for days.