NGD Spongebob Banana

What's Hot
sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
Finally pulled the trigger on one of the new series of Steinberger Spirit Cricket Bst models in midlife crisis Yellow :). Initial impressions, well they screwed the neck angle up so I need to mill @1-2 mm off of the bottom of the saddles to get the sort of action I like, usual zero fret left too high but on the whole ok. Just to put it into perspective, I am a fussy bugger when it comes to optimising action and nut tolerance relief angle  etc

https://i.imgur.com/OqaTFUQ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KP6gRno.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16665

Do you think you will still have enough downward pressure on the saddles if they are set lower?   worth checking what kind of break angle that is going to give. 

If its too low a break angle you can recess the bridge a bit further instead, which would be my preference anyway

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    I looked into that option too @WezV plenty of angle which is the norm for the R Trem design and it’s easier for me to mill a mm or 2 off of the saddle tbh

They always seem to have a very low break angle to me,  I have put together a few.  It looks low in the pics, but it is hard to see  from a face on pic.

But yeah, my skill is with wood, so that always seems the easiest bit to modify to me.  You have to go with what seems easiest for your skillset

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Is this guitar living proof that the whole "tone woods make all the difference man" argument is complete bollox?

I mean, there's more wood at an impotent anonymous meeting than there is on that guitar!

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    That's not a SpongeBob Yellow! 
    edited June 2018
    Ok ok, Chrome Yellow perhaps 

bridge string break angle

https://i.imgur.com/TFSDYTT.jpg
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    SNAKEBITE said:

Is this guitar living proof that the whole "tone woods make all the difference man" argument is complete bollox?

I mean, there's more wood at an impotent anonymous meeting than there is on that guitar!

There is no proof. Tone wood is the new fermat's last theorem.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2018
    NelsonP said:
    SNAKEBITE said:

There is no proof. Tone wood is the new fermat's last theorem.
    This guitar is still made from a choice of material.  There are similar guitars made from another choice of material.  The choice of material will affect the way the guitar filters string energy.

this guitar can be compared with other styles of guitar to determine if volume of that material choice has an impact.

it proves or disproves nothing.  It provides another interesting example.

edit:  and that debate should not detract from somebodies NGD

sweepy said:
    Ok ok, Chrome Yellow perhaps 

bridge string break angle

https://i.imgur.com/TFSDYTT.jpg

I do think that would end up a bit low for me with the saddles lowered by 2mm.   I would be worried about an increased loss of sustain when diving on the trem

The saddles slots are deep enough that they shouldn't pop out the slots, which is often an issue on other guitars when the break angle is low

The R Trem has always had an annoying habit of unloading the strings over the saddle at extremes. The plan is to wait until I get free time next week and pull it apart to check over and Machine oil the bridge screw threads. I found out the hard way from my 80’s Newbrough Steinberger that it’s always a good idea to strip and lubricate the bridge . I will probably take a mm off of the wood and a mm off the saddles to cover my arse ;)
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3019
    Needs more Squidward!

Welcome to the Spongebob guitar owners club (I'll send your secret decoder ring in the post).

:) 
  • HumbuckedHumbucked Frets: 89
    Happy NGD. In the long run, it's worth making the adjustments. Is the Yellow a standard colour?

Yellow is a standard colour on the new range and yes it’s worth the fettling. I wanted a guitar I could throw in the back of the Car when we go away. After nearly 20 years of working 12 hr Continental shift patterns of alternating days and nights I have no effective body like ck and often find myself awake at silly hours whilst away, so iRig, iPad guitar and headphones and I’m a happy bunny