All 5 positions....

What's Hot

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    WezV said:
    hootsmon said:
    Do peeps struggle with the bridge PUP?
    On vintage pieces, the bridge pickup is (as near as manufacturing tolerances allow) identical to the other two pickups. String excursion above the bridge position pickup is considerably less than above the neck position. Result - the neck position pickup yields proportionally more signal than the bridge position pickup. The solution to this is to compensate by making the bridge position pickup a good percentage more powerful than the other two
    Or adjust pickup heights, but that does give a high bridge and low neck if they are the same reading.

i never liked strat bridge Pickups until I discovered baseplates.   A standard strat doesn’t work for me, but baseplate the bridge, make it master vol/ tone and add a neck adder volume* to the spare tone pot and I much prefer it

*i mod the pot so it’s out of the circuit when down, but you can roll in as much neck pickup as you need 
    I've thought about getting a bridge pickup with a base plate but does it not interfere with the bridge+ middle and bridge+ neck sounds?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    I keep banging on about this... but it is seriously worth doing to any strat :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    Never bother with the bridge. Just too much of a jump tonally to be able to control.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Humbucker at bridge (with tone control wired to work)and 4
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    ICBM said:
    munckee said:

I love john frusciantes playing, I always thought he used neck and flipped to bridge for solos. 
    He does use both, but he uses the neck/middle a lot too - look at pics of him playing a Strat and you'll often see it.

https://www.groundguitar.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/2168532149_91dff16fe0_b.jpg

http://www.jftab.com/img/gear/guitar/frusciante-stratocaster-red-1962.jpg

https://allyoudeliver.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/johnfrusciante1.jpg

It's not easy to find one of him using either the bridge/middle or the middle alone, although he may do.
    If I could have any strat, it would be his battered sunburst in the top picture, I love that guitar. I remember from Dani California he did a video showing he went from neck to bridge for the heavy wah wah at the end.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72262
    edited June 2018
    munckee said:

If I could have any strat, it would be his battered sunburst in the top picture, I love that guitar. I remember from Dani California he did a video showing he went from neck to bridge for the heavy wah wah at the end.
    Is that the '55 with Duncan pickups?

It's also interesting that (and clearly from those pics ), he mostly uses the neck/middle sound for soloing. Most people would use it for chord work and switch to the neck or bridge alone for solos - he seems to mainly use the neck pickup for rhythm.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

I use all the positions.  Some more than others though.  Both my Strats have the bridge pickup wired to the middle pickup tone control.  One of them also has a baseplate on the bridge pickup, and a push-push pot that allows me to add the neck pickup at any time.  I normally use that to get neck and bridge together.  That's quite a useful sound.

I did experiment in the past with a blend pot and an option to get pickups in series, but didn't really like either.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    I typically take a strat, Tele and 335 to gigs, so the strat does the two most classic/distinctive strat sounds for me. In 2 with the mid tone down to about 3 or 4 and the other selection is 5 with the Neck tone on 10. If I only use the strat the controls get a proper work out though.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Neck and Bridge pickups mainly, occasionally the mid pickup (if I flick the switch and miss the better sounds ;-) )

I never use 2 & 4.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5005
    ICBM said:
    munckee said:

I love john frusciantes playing, I always thought he used neck and flipped to bridge for solos. 
    He does use both, but he uses the neck/middle a lot too - look at pics of him playing a Strat and you'll often see it.

https://www.groundguitar.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/2168532149_91dff16fe0_b.jpg

http://www.jftab.com/img/gear/guitar/frusciante-stratocaster-red-1962.jpg

https://allyoudeliver.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/johnfrusciante1.jpg

It's not easy to find one of him using either the bridge/middle or the middle alone, although he may do.
    His gurning expressions are all exactly the same! He needs to practise some new ones.  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    In order of usage;

5 (80% of the time)
    3 (most of the rest of the time)
    4 (a bit)
    2 (as little as possible)
    1 (almost never)
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @poopot my strat is modified that way and although I don't play it much, when I do play it, the wiring suits me.

I always thought the switch positions were numbered the other way round (ie bridge = 5) ... I'll have to remember not to be so left-to-right about it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    @poopot my strat is modified that way and although I don't play it much, when I do play it, the wiring suits me.

I always thought the switch positions were numbered the other way round (ie bridge = 5) ... I'll have to remember not to be so left-to-right about it.
    All my strats are wired that way... why wouldn’t you? Master tone and 4 extra tones... plus all the tones you get in between with the blend... and... you get the stock strat sounds anyway... plus it costs nowt if you have a soldering iron!...
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    jpfamps said:
    strat84 said:
     I only used to use neck, neck/middle and middle/bridge.. I used to hate the middle and thought it was really unforgiving but I find it one of the best now. Great for funk or a bluesy ryhthm or lead, clean or overdriven.

Live, I think SRV used the neck pickup for Pride & Joy but the album version to my ears is mostly middle then switching to the neck right at the end. 

SRV would often change pickups mid lick (!).
    Easy to knock that bloody switch isn't it?
    ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    I think I must be the only person who uses the bridge pickup pretty much all the time.
    Got an overwound one, and it's wired to the same tone as the neck, but I still used it all the time before I did that.
    Lots of gain and it sings like nothing else.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    edited June 2018
    I think I must be the only person who uses the bridge pickup pretty much all the time.
    Got an overwound one, and it's wired to the same tone as the neck, but I still used it all the time before I did that.
    Lots of gain and it sings like nothing else.

I use my bridge pickup a lot, but it does depend on the guitar.  If you have good fat sounding Strat it is great, but if you have a thin plinky sounding one, it will sound nasty. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    ICBM said:
    munckee said:

Is that the '55 with Duncan pickups?

It's also interesting that (and clearly from those pics ), he mostly uses the neck/middle sound for soloing. Most people would use it for chord work and switch to the neck or bridge alone for solos - he seems to mainly use the neck pickup for rhythm.
    I believe that's it.  He does plow his own furrow, his interviews are great but weird he is very intense.  

As for his gurn face, well I certainly wouldn't want to be his girlfriend is all I'm saying.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2192
    I love the Strat neck and Tele bridge pickup position and could easily live without all of the others. 

I don't think there is any guitar that can do both of these without some degree of compromise 
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

I've only just realised that you can change the position.

I have mine on "Default Bridge".

• StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1446
    Fishboy7 said:
    I love the Strat neck and Tele bridge pickup position and could easily live without all of the others. 

I don't think there is any guitar that can do both of these without some degree of compromise 
    This for me is what the Asher T Deluxe does. The neck pickup sounds like my ideal strat neck pickup, and the middle position is maybe my favourite ever.