Enlarging Tremolo Rout on a Strat

I would like to enlarge by 2 or 3 mm the tremolo rout on my Strat (6 screw vintage trem). 
 With an oversized tremolo block, and the trem set to float, I need a little more downward movement on the trem - and right now the block is hitting the wood. 

Its interesting - the cavity for the sustain block is big enough deeper down the cavity, but at the front surface of the body there is a ‘lip’ of wood that needs to be removed...

Is there a simple DIY fix? Or would I be best taking it to a luthier?  Expert opinions deeply appreciated ...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    That "lip" is only there for cosmetic reasons. The original idea was to hide the cavity as much as possible.

In these days of recessed cavities for Floyd Rose type vibratos, the best way to disguise your modification is to make a feature of it. Increase the pitch bend range in both directions by routing a Vai-inspired "lion's claw" cavity and painting it a hideous contrasting colour.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

I think we're talking about the cavity area at the back of the body, the block must be hitting the wall of it when the trem's dipped. It could be DIY'd with care if you're used to that sort of thing, also an easy job to do neatly for a builder/tech with a router. A jig could be made very quickly and some wood taken off the back in wall.