Nut slot depth?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3436
edited June 2018 in Guitar
So here is what I know, the strings shouldn't sit below the top of the nut, a proportion of string should protrude above the nut, like this,

http://www.lutherie.net/nutslot4.jpg

so what do you guys think?

http://www.lutherie.net/nuts.html

If this is the case cutting nut slots isnt something people should be doing unless its to seat the string correctly, is this over the top or is it good practice?

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Fifty per cent is the Dan Erlewine recommendation. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I had a new nut installed on an acoustic by a well known repairman and it is a work of art, every string sits perfectly.

I have other guitars, though, where the bits between the slots are higher (which that page says is a "no") and have never had any problem with them at all as long as the slots the strings go in are at the right height. Not even sure what problem he's suggesting could be caused by this.

I've had problems with the nut slots being too high which made the first few frets sharp and a problem with a slot being too low so it buzzes massively at normal setup settings so I have to put a lot of relief in the neck to stop the buzz. I'll be getting the nut replaced on that guitar when I can afford to.
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    Most PRS guitars have deep slots, with none of the string protruding, not a problem.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3436
    My guess is the strings might ring out more if sitting above the nut, also my guess is its easier to cut down into the nut than it is to remove and sand from below, so most techs will cut from above. Does it make a blatant audible difference? That's what I would like to know.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3436
    SimonC said:
    Most PRS guitars have deep slots, with none of the string protruding, not a problem.
    I think that's most factory cut nuts, any ive seen anyway..
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    If the nut slot is cut straight down, then only the bottom half of the string is supported, no matter how deep the slot is, as the string has a circular cross section.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    SimonC said:
    I genuinely can't think what poblems it could cause - above the halfway point of the string, the "side walls" are just getting further and further away from the string so I can't see how it would cause any effect.

Anyone know if there is a reason?

Might just be aesthetic - the acoustic nut I have with the strings sitting half above the nut does look nice like that.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    It’s purely aesthetic on most things, but slightly deeper slots on trem guitars is the norm for me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I deepened the slots on a Warmoth neck, and meant to go back and dress the top later to make it look like this. I never got around to it, and I have no problems at all. It’s a Strat with a floating trem, and no string trees, if that matters. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    The part of the nut which is above the halfway line on the string cannot touch the string and so it cannot affect anything.

This is one of the few cases where I don’t agree with Dan Erlewine - I prefer to have the strings fully below the top of the nut. Much more than that and the nut tends to snag your hand, which is the only disadvantage of having it taller.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    I like to slope the nut top away from the fingerboard edge as well as let the string sit half in/out of the slot. It sits deeper on the fingerboard edge to stop it jumping out (it never has for me) and less so on the machine head side to minimise any risk (real or percieved) of the string binding or touching the walls and giving a false tone. No proper science involved.
    The nut on my Aria PE1000 came setup perfectly like this out of the box in the 70s and I've tried to emulate it on all my guitars since.