Korina / 58 style Flying V

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
Just thinking out loud as I quite fancy a V and like the look of the korina/58 style - seesma shame that Gibson don't offer that model at a reasonable price and the Epiphones are made with a veneer.   Apparently the Bonamassa model is two pieces with a veneer so that's encouraging but we are almost in Gibson prices.
I know Feline make a lovely looking V and I suspect GSPbasses could make something very nice.  
Anything else out there with similar specs?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7130
    I bought the regular Epi '58 version and its a nice guitar, I wanted something cheap and cheerful that I could dick around with and it is perfect for what it is.

If you have the money, then the obvious choice would be to go to Feline and get a proper one built. 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Yeah I almost clicked buy a couple of times on a cheap epi model and I’m sure they play fine but it feels like there’s a gap in the market for a mid range model with solid woods.  
    If Gibson did one I’m sure they’d sell.  

I might have have a look at some of the upmarket kits and see if anyone does a decent V project. 
    Worth a watch

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72214
    If you want a real one there’s an early 80s Gibson Korina ‘58 reissue on sale in Glasgow. Not cheap though...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

stonevibe said:
    Worth a watch

I watched that last night - interesting to compare the two Epi models.   

ICBM said:
    If you want a real one there’s an early 80s Gibson Korina ‘58 reissue on sale in Glasgow. Not cheap though...
    I suspect that’s way out of my budget but probably quite lovely.    Have you a link?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72214
    John_P said:
    ICBM said:
    I suspect that’s way out of my budget but probably quite lovely.    Have you a link?
    Yes, but I should warn you that the photos on the website are terrible - I have moaned about it too many times to mention!

http://www.strungoutguitars.com/guitars/electric?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1545&category_id=2

They will also almost certainly not ship it due to the value and the impossibility of meaningful insurance, but it's not *that* far away from you...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I purchased an Epi explorer for about £200, it sounded great, I'm thinking the v would probably sound the same, I did change the pickups as they sounded muddy but now its one of my favoriteguitars.
    ICBM said:
    John_P said:
    ICBM said:
    Yes, but I should warn you that the photos on the website are terrible - I have moaned about it too many times to mention!

http://www.strungoutguitars.com/guitars/electric?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1545&category_id=2

They will also almost certainly not ship it due to the value and the impossibility of meaningful insurance, but it's not *that* far away from you...
    Yeah that does look lovely - exactly what Gibson should be making.      The distance is no problem but sadly way out of budget this year.  
    I purchased an Epi explorer for about £200, it sounded great, I'm thinking the v would probably sound the same, I did change the pickups as they sounded muddy but now its one of my favoriteguitars.
    For £200 or so they are probably a great buy, if I saw a korina model at that price I'd be very tempted.  I have no issue with a cheap one being made of blocks with a veneer - just find it odd that there isn't a midprice solid wood version. 
  • Left field suggestion, but how about a Reverend Volcano HB if you can find one?

https://www.reverendguitars.com/guitars/volcano-hb

They also do an awesome looking 3xP90 version, though I imagine it's quite a different proposition tone-wise...

https://www.andertons.co.uk/reverend-ron-asheton-ash-guitar-in-rock-orange
  • joleefret1joleefret1 Frets: 60
    i just bought a feline korina 58 V - i was nervous as id never even played a feline but fancied a 58 korina V for my inner albert king -- its an absolutely outstanding guitar that pisses all over gibsons many times the price and unlike the gibbos it has the correct appointments too

really outstanding instrument - got to feline to get one NOW!!!!!

seriously you wont find better

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11542
    tFB Trader
    The 82-3 Gibson reisues were ok-ish but they were far from accurate .
    I had one for a while and so many details differed from the original.We got into building that model through a customer frustrated that none of the replicas (Gibson or otherwise) were accurate enough, and he had documented all the little things that were not correct and had us make him one accurately .
    We have made a few now and they do come up very nicely . 
    You will pay about the same price as the '82 reissue is selling for in the above listing (which is a fair bit cheaper than I have seen some of them go for)

This is the first one we made:

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1057
    edited June 2018
    That looks wicked! Nice job @FelineGuitars ;;

As Albert king would say 'wooooooo!' 
  • Does that ribbed plastic on the bottom wing actually function as I imagine it is intended to?
    Does that ribbed plastic on the bottom wing actually function as I imagine it is intended to?
    Yeah, it works.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I purchased a Gibson 2016 V Limited Edition in Trans Amber from Thomman for £700 and it’s fast becoming my favourite Guitar. It’s not A Korina and the colours darker. But I purchased it because it reminded me of the Korina. So thought I’d put it out there. I’m currently in the process of cutting a black guard for mine. 

Bonus us of these being that they have the Dirty Finger Pups that are bit splittable. 

https://m.thomann.de/gb/gibson_flying_v_faded_2016_ltd_va.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI44ey3Zjq2wIVCOMbCh1DegfdEAQYASABEgKSifD_BwE
    I purchased a Gibson 2016 V Limited Edition in Trans Amber from Thomman for £700 and it’s fast becoming my favourite Guitar. It’s not A Korina and the colours darker. But I purchased it because it reminded me of the Korina. So thought I’d put it out there. I’m currently in the process of cutting a black guard for mine. 

Bonus us of these being that they have the Dirty Finger Pups that are bit splittable. 

https://m.thomann.de/gb/gibson_flying_v_faded_2016_ltd_va.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI44ey3Zjq2wIVCOMbCh1DegfdEAQYASABEgKSifD_BwE
    I’ve looked st them in the past but hadn’t thought about adding a scratchplate - I’d love to see some pics and see the what they really look like.    What is the neck like? 
  • I'd say its a slim D, similar to an SG. 

They look really orange in the pics but in reality its a much nicer 'woodier' colour if that makes sense? 

Dont get me wrong the plate isnt a direct fit and im not sure how it will look when its done but its a hell of a guitar even without.