Oil City Experiences?

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    thegummy said:
    Very relieved to read all these replies because I do want the pickups, would just be scared off ordering if others came back saying they had difficulties contacting them.
    I honestly reckon your email has got lost somewhere - or it's fallen into a junk box or some such - give him a call and he will sort you out!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 913
    I PM'd Ash on here last Sunday about some clearance items. He responded within half an hour, deal done, posted Monday, got them Tuesday. He's a top bloke.
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    edited June 2018
    thegummy said:
    Has anyone purchased from them and found this to be a problem or is this atypical for them?

I know they get a lot of praise on this forum hence posting the question here.
    I've had a couple of sets of humbuckers from OCP and had 1 repair done. Ash was quick with comms and very quick with his service. Around December and January messages in threads and via PM went unanswered on here. He might be getting quite busy now with the OCP being so good and becoming so popular. 

I think there is a phone number of OCP - that might be the quickest way to get hold of him.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
     + 1 for OCP

His looms are a work of art. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Totally happy with Oil City. It’s a small business. Last time I met him it was just Ash and a colleague. Like all small businesses there are always a thousand and one things to do .... and emails do get stuck in spam filters. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    A P90 from Ash arrived this very morning. I found the service to be excellent but he's obviously busy - why not give him a call? Number is on the website.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    drwiddly said:
    PM ... clearance items. 
    Same here.

Obviously, with clearance offers, there is no negotiation stage over specification or colour schemes. The options are take it or leave it. The only delay in my purchase experience was caused by me. I needed to visit a bank during office hours to make my electronic payment because I have no card reader of my own for Internet banking.

drwiddly said:
    I PM'd Ash on here last Sunday ...  responded within half an hour, deal done, posted Monday, got them Tuesday. 
    Congratulations. I was eyeing the prototype Rails pickup set but decided to stall until the following Monday when it would be easier to pay.

I am living proof, folks. You snooze, you lose.

Luckily for me, the PayPal balance that I might have spent with OCP came in handy when a pre-owned L.R. Baggs Lyric acoustic guitar system appeared on eBay.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    Some of the best customer service I’ve ever had has been from Ash, so I would say buy with confidence! 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    tFB Trader
    Was speaking to Ash earlier today (ordering bass pickups and paying a bill). He is there but as a one man band may not be attached to computer keyboard 24/7 as he may be winding pickups, talking to customer, dealing with admin, or feeding the office cat. BKP benefit from a larger team of guys (and girls) and have enough people to have someone doing the emails etc. 
    I am still old fashioned enough that phone calls get priority over electronic communication...years spent working in a customer services telephone call centre left their mark on me.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep cannot rate @TheGuitarWeasel more highly - sorted me out some great Telecaster pickups and a lovely P90.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    Another vote for oil city. I have two sets and had nothing but great service. Ash took the time to discuss my requirements on the phone and the pickups that arrived were exactly what I wanted.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    Big thumbs up! I have some great pickups and customer service was second to none in my experience.
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    Ash was great on my two orders with him. Couldn't be more helpful. 
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    I've had a few orders with Oil City - Ash has been really helpful each time from helping me choose the right pickup to supplying me with copies of wiring diagrams when I've lost the originals.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10362
    tFB Trader
    Hi chaps ... yes, I've been going through an extraordinarily busy period, up to 10 customer phone calls a day, plus making stuff ... plus all the stuff that keeps a small business running, like books and ordering ... and er ... occasionally having a life too :-)
    If all else fails PHONE ME my headset is on pretty much all day even when I'm winding pickups or having me lunch! 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • bassborabassbora Frets: 132
    I have four guitars loaded with OCP and they are brilliant. I have both bought from Ash on here and used as well. I even sent a pickup i bought used back and the pickup was under a lifetime guarantee. Nothing wrong with the pickup I was just being stupid. Absolutely brilliant service and products. 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006

If all else fails PHONE ME my headset is on pretty much all day even when I'm winding pickups or having me lunch! 
    I definitely haven’t got the dexterity to pull that off ! I’d end up with bread & cheese gumming up the mic within minutes..
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Does anyone know if there are prices for sets of pickups from Oil City, I.e. A bridge and a neck, or is it just price per pickup regardless if you're buying one or two?
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Hi chaps ... yes, I've been going through an extraordinarily busy period, up to 10 customer phone calls a day, plus making stuff ... plus all the stuff that keeps a small business running, like books and ordering ... and er ... occasionally having a life too :-)
    Cheers, good to know that once the order is in I can phone if necessary. My email was just a simple question so won't bother you with a phone call but the replies in this thread are reassuring.

I'll probably be ordering these tomorrow since I'm working today then gigging tonight.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10362
    edited June 2018 tFB Trader
    thegummy said:
    Does anyone know if there are prices for sets of pickups from Oil City, I.e. A bridge and a neck, or is it just price per pickup regardless if you're buying one or two?
    There are no separate prices for sets ... simply order neck and bridge of your chosen pickups. :-) 

PS: I actually enjoy chatting to customers on the phone ... sad eh? Perhaps I don't get out enough lol.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message