The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited November 2018

Playing live tho my bands mate allways hated modellers mainly as they didnt punch like a real amp
    Non Kemper owner here, but I have some thoughts on this.

I have an Atomic Amplifire and Laney IRT-X for home use / jamming etc. I also have a Mesa with a Marshall 4 x 12 from when I used to play in a band. The digital set up is definitely much more polite and lacks the punch and some of the dynamics of the traditional set up.

The IRT-X is a neat piece of kit that also allows you to use an external cab. So I tried it with a Marshall 4 x 12, with the cab sims off, but it did not sound great. 

I've not tried a tube power amp into a proper cab, but I expect that would be a little better. But not as good as the traditional amp and cab.

In an 'ideal' world I'd still choose the traditional setup for most band / gigging situations - from a pure tone / feel point of view.
    But the digital route is so much more convenient.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonP said:

Playing live tho my bands mate allways hated modellers mainly as they didnt punch like a real amp

I have an Atomic Amplifire and Laney IRT-X for home use / jamming etc. I also have a Mesa with a Marshall 4 x 12 from when I used to play in a band. The digital set up is definitely much more polite and lacks the punch and some of the dynamics of the traditional set up.

The IRT-X is a neat piece of kit that also allows you to use an external cab. So I tried it with a Marshall 4 x 12, with the cab sims off, but it did not sound great. 

I've not tried a tube power amp into a proper cab, but I expect that would be a little better. But not as good as the traditional amp and cab.

In an 'ideal' world I'd still choose the traditional setup for most band / gigging situations - from a pure tone / feel point of view.
    I'm not disagreeing with you or saying you're wrong, but could it be that, in a Kemper thread, we're talking about apples and oranges here?

You mention Atomic Amplifire and Laney IRT-X. We're talking about Kemper and Redsound or DXR10's. The price differential alone is quite spectacular. Let alone the sounds, I'd wager.

Like I said, this isn't to crap all over your point, but merely an observation of the possible differences between the setups and potential differences in perceived tone/punch/clarity that you say it's missing.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the suggestions guys, I can’t wait for it to come!

out of curiousity (and this may tie in to the above posts about guitar amp vs digital for rehearsal) how does the pure cabinet feature work and does anyone use it? I read that it was meant to make your FRFR amplified guitar tone sound more like its coming from a guitar amp? Does that not sort of defeat the point? And how does the algorithm differentiate between an SM57 on axis and an C414 off axis for example? I read it was supposed to remove the mic’d up element of the signal but just how? Is it just an EQ curve gimmick?

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• I hope you like it, @chrishill901! it's the best thing I've ever purchased, for sure.

I use Pure Cabinet all the time. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but as you describe, it's meant to mimmic the sound of the amp in the room. I think it helps. I almost always set mine to 7.5 instead of the recommended and default 3 - when practicing.

• That’s useful to know @Jonathanthomas83 !! My only concern is that it’s a bit ‘harsh’ sounding which I found the Amplifire to be... but at the same time I use Amplitube 4 all of the time and love the tones I can get from that! I’ve got a decent set of studio monitors so I have high hopes for the Kemper!

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited November 2018
    NelsonP said:

I'm not disagreeing with you or saying you're wrong, but could it be that, in a Kemper thread, we're talking about apples and oranges here?

You mention Atomic Amplifire and Laney IRT-X. We're talking about Kemper and Redsound or DXR10's. The price differential alone is quite spectacular. Let alone the sounds, I'd wager.

Like I said, this isn't to crap all over your point, but merely an observation of the possible differences between the setups and potential differences in perceived tone/punch/clarity that you say it's missing.
    Yes, fair point. The comment I quoted was about modellers in general, which is why I posted my thoughts here. 

I'm actually pretty happy with the Atomic + Laney setup and for most occasions it is a better alternative than the Mesa + Marshall cab, especially if you are going direct to the PA.

Based on the price alone I'd expect a Kemper + DXR to be at least twice as good as my digital rig. Which would make it better than my Mesa ;-)
  • That’s useful to know @Jonathanthomas83 !! My only concern is that it’s a bit ‘harsh’ sounding which I found the Amplifire to be... but at the same time I use Amplitube 4 all of the time and love the tones I can get from that! I’ve got a decent set of studio monitors so I have high hopes for the Kemper!
    Hope it works out, mate, let us know your thoughts and any questions.
    NelsonP said:
    NelsonP said:

Yes, fair point. The comment I quoted was about modellers in general, which is why I posted my thoughts here. 

I'm actually pretty happy with the Atomic + Laney setup and for most occasions it is a better alternative than the Mesa + Marshall cab, especially if you are going direct to the PA.

Based on the price alone I'd expect a Kemper + DXR to be at least twice as good as my digital rig. Which would make it better than my Mesa ;-)
    Ha, I'm not sure it works like that. People pay extortionate amounts of money for minute details and small improvements. As much as I'd love to say the Kemper will sound twice as good, I'm not convinced it will. That said, I've never tried an Atomic, to comment.

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2398
    Top tips for the kemper when going FrFr - cut hi and low at 90Hz and about 7000kHz. Also try a -3db cut at around 3400kHz to get rid of the shrillness.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited November 2018
    Jonathanthomas83 said:
    Ha, I'm not sure it works like that. People pay extortionate amounts of money for minute details and small improvements. As much as I'd love to say the Kemper will sound twice as good, I'm not convinced it will. That said, I've never tried an Atomic, to comment.
    Where the Kemper scores high is on the variety of amps that have been profiled. It can handle my Les Paul, Tele, and P-bass for all kinds of music styles. It's a real powerhouse when used for recording.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • FarleyUK said:
    Top tips for the kemper when going FrFr - cut hi and low at 90Hz and about 7000kHz. Also try a -3db cut at around 3400kHz to get rid of the shrillness.
    That’s a great tip as it’s the main thing I’m concerned about as other modellers ive used have sounded shrill.

id like to say I’ll dial it in now but DPD have lost my Kemper! The remote came so I can pretend I’m playing it...

• FarleyUK said:
    That’s a great tip as it’s the main thing I’m concerned about as other modellers ive used have sounded shrill.

id like to say I’ll dial it in now but DPD have lost my Kemper! The remote came so I can pretend I’m playing it...
    Sorry to hear that mate! Hope they sort it quick.

PS, if you find the right profile, there should be very little "dialling" needed :-)

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited November 2018
    FarleyUK said:

PS, if you find the right profile, there should be very little "dialling" needed :-)
    I always HP and LP everything to get rid of unwanted frequencies, as they tend to have an accumulative effect (a.k.a. muddy sound).
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • chrishill901chrishill901 Frets: 516
    edited November 2018
    Freebird said:
    FarleyUK said:

I always HP and LP everything to get rid of unwanted frequencies, as they tend to have an accumulative effect (a.k.a. muddy sound).
    How do you put on an LP and HP on the Kemper?

Managed to locate the Kemper, testing it now!

Freebird said:
    FarleyUK said:

How do you put on an LP and HP on the Kemper?

Managed to locate the Kemper, testing it now!
    You have to put an eq block in the X slot. Think it's the studio eq..?
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    I used a Powercab for a bit and I thought it was excellent. The cab models were great, it was light, it sounded great and it thumped like an amp. It was the best reproduction of an amp setup so far with a load of flexibility. 

But, still not as good as a real amp so I’ve gone back to my DRRI and pedal board. That’s just my preference though. I could have used that set up and been extremely happy. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited May 2019
    Usage aside, and more on the live side, what's the consensus on the following:-

Powered or Unpowered Kemper ?
    FFFRs or regular cab ?

The HX Stomp is very much on my radar and for use with a valve head, cab and pedalboard but I must say, I'm still intrigued by the Kemper as an all-in-one, more portable rig as I play bass as well.
  • Powered kemper
    FRFR cab 
  • Powered Kemper
    FRFR for home/studio/FOH
    Real cab for rehearsal and stage volume
    Unpowered kemper, originally through 2 DXR10s as backline at gigs, but now going direct through the desk.
  • Thanks for the EQ tip @FarleyUK - its fairly subtle but makes it much less fatiguing to listen to. I find some profiles quite boomy too so I change the frequency to compensate and it works a treat.

This thing is like a space ship to operate, there is so much hidden in menus but its all actually quite logically laid out. I don't like how when choosing an effect I have to alphabetically scroll through each effect rather than it categorising by effect type but I'm sure there is probably a way to change that too.

I can't say I plugged in and was blown away by it - It's like buying a HD TV for the first time, it's very much like 'whats the fuss about' and you don't notice until you go back to standard definition and realise how crappy it looked. I think I was maybe expecting to be wowed on the first chord but I wasn't wowed until I went back to what I was playing through before (which I thought sounded great) and realised how bad it now sounded in comparison. Its tough though, the Kemper sounds too real, and 'feels' too real - I think i've been getting away for too long playing amplitube and it sounding good and feeling easy to play but it doesn't respond how a real amp does. The Kemper does which makes it harder to play! I think after a week of this Kemper though I'll have ruined all other low volume practice solutions for myself