The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Well I took the plunge, inspired in part by @Wazmeister’s surprising conversion and have to say I’m totally blown away. Only gone through some of the bundled profiles so far through some decent headphones but very, very impressed. Some decent amps and the axefx3 are going largely unused...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Amazing, mate! That's quality news @kjdowd ;
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Kebabkid said:

A couple more questions chaps, if you will:-

Is it me or does it appear that the powered version seems to be the more popular? If using an FRFR, are you taking the power from the KPA or the speaker? When I recently heard one, the user had the powered KPA but switched off that element in favour of the powered speaker. Is it just a case of preference or any benefits here, on either side?

What's the consensus on Active or Passive FRFRs?

And what about using them with a decent, regular cab? I have a fabulous Tone Tubby 2x12 (1 x Alnico, 1 x Ceramic Hemp Speakers). Even if I use speaker simulation, if using my cab, are my speakers always going to taint the sound or heavily influence it?
    Probably more popular because it offers a touch more flexibility. I have a powered head and never use its amp. I bought it because the rehearsal room I sometimes frequent has a nice 4x12 that I could plug into if the opportunity arises, which it likely never will, to be fair!

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    kjdowd said:
    Well I took the plunge, inspired in part by @Wazmeister’s surprising conversion and have to say I’m totally blown away. Only gone through some of the bundled profiles so far through some decent headphones but very, very impressed. Some decent amps and the axefx3 are going largely unused...
    My Axe Fx3 went back, welcome to the Kemper club :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited November 2018
    It would be good if they released an editor!
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Freebird said:
    It would be good if they released an editor!
    Damn right, oh and roll out some more effects as well
  • I'm not sure if anyone's tried it, but this (FREE!) Morgan AC20 profile on Rig Exchange is really, really nice...

Enjoy!

I'll try it out when I get chance, btw I bought @ThorpyFX ; Atomic CLR cab,  what a huge difference it's made
  • Beast of a cab, that. Expensive piece of kit too. Enjoy it @sweepy !

It is a bit of a beast, I can actually feel the bass now ;)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    I'm not sure if anyone's tried it, but this (FREE!) Morgan AC20 profile on Rig Exchange is really, really nice...

Enjoy!
    I use that one a lot.  It's a good one.
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 219
    I noticed some tips recently about the Studio Eq.    Have started using recently. and noticed that makes a big difference at rehearsal levels when going straight to the PA.

I've set the low cut to 90hz and high cut to around 13khz.  But do I need to alter any of the other settings? Such as the various gains?     In particular, my sound is still a little treble heavy.

Currently using the Tone Junkie TS1 profile.  Love it!

• monkey42monkey42 Frets: 336
    I’m really intrigued by the Kemper...and that’s now just jumped as our drummer has just invested in some great sounding electronic drums (pearl mimic pro...wow)
    But, I gig in a covers band where we go straight into numbers and I sing. In other words, I have very little time to tweak...I’m also technically inept and need very little in my way to make incremental adjustments.
    im sure I would need to see one up close with an expert user to help me navigate and set up (hint hint)
    Im not worried about reliability as anything can fail...it’s just the simplicity
    Im consideration a powered version to run a small cab on stage and then send a full range signal to the FOH. I assume this is possible
    Anyway, if anyone nearby would put up with me having a close up look....I may yet get converted
  • Sounds like a similar use case to @FarleyUK ;

• AndyJP said:
    I noticed some tips recently about the Studio Eq.    Have started using recently. and noticed that makes a big difference at rehearsal levels when going straight to the PA.

I've set the low cut to 90hz and high cut to around 13khz.  But do I need to alter any of the other settings? Such as the various gains?     In particular, my sound is still a little treble heavy.

Try Pure Cab setting, I whack mine up to 7.5...but many default it to 3.

No right or wrong answers, just mess with it.

I found a profile yesterday had the definition too high and the gate way too high, so those needed tweaking and it sounded infinitely better after lowering the two. Have a play and see what happens :-)

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    edited November 2018
    AndyJP said:

I cut at 90Hz and also at 6800kHz, as I hate the shrillness. I also do a -3dB cut at around 3400kHz. Many people have said how good it sound, so must be doing something right...!

Hopefully this gives an idea of how it sounds:

https://www.facebook.com/CartelCoversBand/videos/475890642936052/UzpfSTY3MzMyNTQzNjoxMDE2MTE0MjgyNjYyMDQzNw/
    I'm having a hard time dialing in a decent lead delay setting. Running stereo, so I tried the dual delay; but it just sounds a bit 'tinny'. 

I have it set so that the morph feature increases delay mix and feedback, and also increases reverb level - but it just doesn't sound good.

As I'm the only guitarist, I need something to fill out the solo sound a bit; any suggestions?
  • @FarleyUK I always use single delay (first in the list after ‘none’, I think). Set it to 1/4 note and set the tempo for the correct BPM of the song using rig settings - being sure to tick the correct boxes to turn Tempo matching on etc (sorry, I can’t remember them off the top of my head).

That’s the hard part usually, after that, I just set mix to taste, usually at around 10 o clock, again, I forget what the Kemper says on the dial. But more often than not, if the tempo is set correctly and the mix is tasteful, I rarely tweak the tone of the delay, it usually sounds musical, to my ears.

Kemper’s delays are some of the best I’ve heard.

Also, did you see @monkey42's post above, he wants to do a similar setup to yours for gigging.

@FarleyUK I always use single delay (first in the list after ‘none’, I think). Set it to 1/4 note and set the tempo for the correct BPM of the song using rig settings - being sure to tick the correct boxes to turn Tempo matching on etc (sorry, I can’t remember them off the top of my head).

That’s the hard part usually, after that, I just set mix to taste, usually at around 10 o clock, again, I forget what the Kemper says on the dial. But more often than not, if the tempo is set correctly and the mix is tasteful, I rarely tweak the tone of the delay, it usually sounds musical, to my ears.

Also, did you see @monkey42's post above, he wants to do a similar setup to yours for gigging.
    Cheers mate, but I'm ideally looking for something stereo as that would hopefully fill the sound out.... will try your suggestion though!

@monkey42 - where are you based? The Kemper - like any technology - has a learning curve, but it's pretty easy. Certainly on the same scale as the Helix, and definatley not as complex as a Fractal unit.

I used to run into 2 DXR10's as a backline, with a bit through the PA, but have started just going direct to the PA - much easier! We use IEMs for monitoring, so we all adjust our own levels etc. The beauty of the Kemper is that you can set a 'bank' of patches for a certain song, which is what I've done for a lot of our covers; and I also have some banks based on amp types (i.e. I mostly use my 'Slash' bank which has a couple of AFD amps, a SIlver Jubilee and a Caswell Modded JCM800). Then it's just a case of loading the bank, and hitting the switch!
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 336
    FarleyUK said:
    @FarleyUK I always use single delay (first in the list after ‘none’, I think). Set it to 1/4 note and set the tempo for the correct BPM of the song using rig settings - being sure to tick the correct boxes to turn Tempo matching on etc (sorry, I can’t remember them off the top of my head).

Cheers mate, but I'm ideally looking for something stereo as that would hopefully fill the sound out.... will try your suggestion though!

@monkey42 - where are you based? The Kemper - like any technology - has a learning curve, but it's pretty easy. Certainly on the same scale as the Helix, and definatley not as complex as a Fractal unit.

I used to run into 2 DXR10's as a backline, with a bit through the PA, but have started just going direct to the PA - much easier! We use IEMs for monitoring, so we all adjust our own levels etc. The beauty of the Kemper is that you can set a 'bank' of patches for a certain song, which is what I've done for a lot of our covers; and I also have some banks based on amp types (i.e. I mostly use my 'Slash' bank which has a couple of AFD amps, a SIlver Jubilee and a Caswell Modded JCM800). Then it's just a case of loading the bank, and hitting the switch!
    That’s really kind of you @FarleyUK ;

yep we are considering going the full IEM experience and let the pa do the work, so would be keen on your thoughts and advice on what kit for that as well

anyway I am swindon Wilts but during the week my job takes me around the south of the country