The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FarleyUK said:
    @FarleyUK I always use single delay (first in the list after ‘none’, I think). Set it to 1/4 note and set the tempo for the correct BPM of the song using rig settings - being sure to tick the correct boxes to turn Tempo matching on etc (sorry, I can’t remember them off the top of my head).

That’s the hard part usually, after that, I just set mix to taste, usually at around 10 o clock, again, I forget what the Kemper says on the dial. But more often than not, if the tempo is set correctly and the mix is tasteful, I rarely tweak the tone of the delay, it usually sounds musical, to my ears.

Kemper’s delays are some of the best I’ve heard.

Also, did you see @monkey42's post above, he wants to do a similar setup to yours for gigging.
    Cheers mate, but I'm ideally looking for something stereo as that would hopefully fill the sound out.... will try your suggestion though!

@monkey42 - where are you based? The Kemper - like any technology - has a learning curve, but it's pretty easy. Certainly on the same scale as the Helix, and definatley not as complex as a Fractal unit.

I used to run into 2 DXR10's as a backline, with a bit through the PA, but have started just going direct to the PA - much easier! We use IEMs for monitoring, so we all adjust our own levels etc. The beauty of the Kemper is that you can set a 'bank' of patches for a certain song, which is what I've done for a lot of our covers; and I also have some banks based on amp types (i.e. I mostly use my 'Slash' bank which has a couple of AFD amps, a SIlver Jubilee and a Caswell Modded JCM800). Then it's just a case of loading the bank, and hitting the switch!
    @FarleyUK ;Stereo is nice, but can’t really gel with the sound of ping pong when I’m flat out. I play solely in a stereo setup and the single delay fills the space really well. I’d find it unusable otherwise. It could be that is your issue - not going single delay line - possibly not. Will you not have issues with a wide stereo field at gigs? Good luck!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2398
    Cheers, will try it! Gigging in Edinburgh (!!!!) This coming Friday.... should be interesting.

@Monkey42 - we use a Mackie DL806, which is amazing; you each use a tablet / phone to set the levels out front and for your own mix. Great bit of kit, and I'd highly recommend it as a PA / mixer! Location wise, I'm normally around Bucks / Berks (but as mentioned, am gigging in Edinburgh this Friday).
  • Hey guys, im about to pull the trigger on a used powerhead for £1400, good price? Also couple of questions, how well does it do a 5150 as thats the main amp i run, secondly is there any kemper 2 on the horizon that could put a big dent in its value? or should we be ok for the foreseeable future as i know NAMM '19 is in 2 months

Cheers!
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited November 2018
    @infernouk you'll be fine with high gain and 5150 tones!

Kemper 2? Not that we know of, KPA 1 is still getting massive FW upgrades (granted, they take bloody ages to happen, but they do).

And yes, good price, that!

• @infernouk you'll be fine with high gain and 5150 tones!

Kemper 2? Not that we know of, KPA 1 is still getting massive FW upgrades (granted, they take bloody ages to happen, but they do).

And yes, good price, that!
    sounds good! and yeah im hoping it has more shelf life, just its getting on a bit so i assume they may want ot get some more DSP power out for further features 
  • It's the oldest of the big 3, but the best, you'll be fine ;-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    It's the oldest of the big 3, but the best, you'll be fine ;-)
    Yeah, a Kemper Mk.1 is always going to sound great, even if a new version comes along.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Had 2 Helix units, AxeFx2 and AxeFx3 and now a Kemper, apart from the effects id say that the Kemper works better than any of them 
    edited November 2018
    sweepy said:
    Had 2 Helix units, AxeFx2 and AxeFx3 and now a Kemper, apart from the effects id say that the Kemper works better than any of them 
    Most people already know the difference, but it's worth repeating, the Kemper uses a sampling process to capture the sonic qualities of a target amp, whereas the other modellers use algorithms to create their emulations.
  • infernoukinfernouk Frets: 8
    edited November 2018
    are the kemper effects passable? i see a lot of people say they arent good or to use helix for them, but is that just if you want 'the best'? i was planning to use it with the remote and nothing else, assuming the remote has a decent tuner?
  • I feel like I'm repeating the same things over and over, but the FX on the Kemper are really, really good. The drives aren't perfect but they're not as bad as some make out. The FX and comps are great though, genuinely.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • infernouk said:
    are the kemper effects passable? i see a lot of people say they arent good or to use helix for them, but is that just if you want 'the best'? i was planning to use it with the remote and nothing else, assuming the remote has a decent tuner?
    The effects are really good... so is the tuner.

Rehearsal again tonight, best. sound. ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That must be so satisfying!! That looks like a very cool setup @Wazmeister!

That must be so satisfying!! That looks like a very cool setup @Wazmeister!
    Matching colours too!
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    A big plus 1 for the Kemper tuner ! It actually works . Looking forward to having a few days free to set up the Expression pedals and crank that Atomic CLR up a bit 
  • Freebird said:
    Matching colours too!
    You dont know the half mate... colour coded green cables, green mic cables too !

Just the 2 of us tonight; Our singer with his Taylor into the PA, my Suhr into the Kemper then into the PA.

Profiles used... Brian Clare Lazy J (stunning) and a not-sure-who 3rd Power Profile
  • Went ahead and bought one, powerhead arriving Thursday! Now to save some cash for the remote! Hoping it works well with my Orange 212 cab
  • infernouk said:
    Went ahead and bought one, powerhead arriving Thursday! Now to save some cash for the remote! Hoping it works well with my Orange 212 cab
    Be prepared to try an FRFR cab... ;)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Freebird said:
    Matching colours too!
    You dont know the half mate... colour coded green cables, green mic cables too !

Just the 2 of us tonight; Our singer with his Taylor into the PA, my Suhr into the Kemper then into the PA.

Profiles used... Brian Clare Lazy J (stunning) and a not-sure-who 3rd Power Profile
    @Wazmeister where do you get that one?

There are some great profiles, but I've yet to find one that does my Lazy J justice.
    edited November 2018
    Freebird said:
    Matching colours too!

3rd Power is MBritt?

https://mbritt.com/product/m-britt-3rdpower-csr-pack/