The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• infernouk said:
    Went ahead and bought one, powerhead arriving Thursday! Now to save some cash for the remote! Hoping it works well with my Orange 212 cab
    Be prepared to try an FRFR cab... ;)
    Ah I like my orange, FRFR cabs look so boring and are pricey! Is there a go too budget one for home use?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    @infernouk for home use I’d go studio monitors.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @infernouk just don't look at this like your typical head and cab sort of set up, you'll set your self up for a fall.

With a traditional cab, you're losing the flexibility of different cab sounds that come with using different amp/cab profiles. A Mesa with a V30 or Marshall with a Greenback, for example.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • simonk said:
    @infernouk for home use I’d go studio monitors.
    I sold my studio monitors to fund the kemper and I don’t want to sit at a desk when I play so I’d prefer to avoid this option 

• @infernouk just don't look at this like your typical head and cab sort of set up, you'll set your self up for a fall.

With a traditional cab, you're losing the flexibility of different cab sounds that come with using different amp/cab profiles. A Mesa with a V30 or Marshall with a Greenback, for example.
    Yeah I get that, my plan was to use the cab for playing out loud with no sim and then I can use headphones for sim playing as I have some audeze lcd-x 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9524
    edited November 2018
    At one stage, I was close to selling my Kemper this year... I was using a normal guitar cab, and I could get some decent sounds.

However, when I realised that i.) Home use ii.) Live use we’re separate things, I had the break through...

A. Studio monitors for home
    B. FRFR or good guitar cab live

imho

Amd this makes the whole process more expensive and why some people prefer ‘real’ amps, which can be cheaper.
  • At one stage, I was close to selling my Kemper this year... I was using a normal guitar cab, and I could get some decent sounds.

However, when I realised that i.) Home use ii.) Live use we’re separate things, I had the break through...

A. Studio monitors for home
    B. FRFR or good guitar cab live

imho

Amd this makes the whole process more expensive and why some people prefer ‘real’ amps, which can be cheaper.
    Hmm wish I’d known this before I purchased yesterday. I’m not using studio monitors so I’ll probably have to go FRFR route, are there any in the £200-£300 ballpark that are good?
    Presonus Eris E5 are decent for 200 notes. As ever though you do get what you pay for.
  • infernoukinfernouk Frets: 8
    edited November 2018
    simonk said:
    Presonus Eris E5 are decent for 200 notes. As ever though you do get what you pay for.
    Yeah this will just be for my living room, I’d use direct out live and headphones for most home use so it’s just for the occasional use, can I get a nicer one in the used market for the range? I’m not familiar with brands of FRFR

edit: noticed the Eris are monitors, is there a good cab style solution I meant, like single speaker, I have no interest in stereo monitors having just sold a £1000 pair 
    infernouk said:
    simonk said:
    Yeah this will just be for my living room, I’d use direct out live and headphones for most home use so it’s just for the occasional use, can I get a nicer one in the used market for the range? I’m not familiar with brands of FRFR

edit: noticed the Eris are monitors, is there a good cab style solution I meant, like single speaker, I have no interest in stereo monitors having just sold a £1000 pair 
    Other than the usual array of PA type speakers the cheapest option I can think of that actually looks like a guitar cab is the Laney LFR... I’ve no experience with it though so can’t vouch for it.
  • DXR 10 is a cheaper option, which CAN be used at home and live
  • Yeah I saw the dxr10 as a reasonable option, will research! 
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 913
    Just to chime in on the traditional cab vs frfr, I've used both for live playing with the KPA and have been happy with both. I find (and it may just be me) that I don't like constantly switching between different amp and cab combinations. I prefer to keep my performances sounding more homogenised so I try to use no more than two or three IR's when playing live. For recording it's a different story of course.

Even when using a guitar cab, I'd have a line to FoH so the IR's will still have an impact on my sound but with an frfr rig it is even more noticeable. I suppose it depends on the type of music you play and the sounds you want but it's something you might want to think about.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Just downloaded the Morgan AC20 from the rig exchange, get it NOW, sounds mighty with my Yamaha SA2200 :) oh and btw, one overlooked thing about the Kemper is the noise gate, I hate the things with a passion but the Kemper one is the most useable one I've ever come across
  • sweepy said:
    Just downloaded the Morgan AC20 from the rig exchange, get it NOW, sounds mighty with my Yamaha SA2200 :) oh and btw, one overlooked thing about the Kemper is the noise gate, I hate the things with a passion but the Kemper one is the most useable one I've ever come across
    Wis'd
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2391
    Another useful hint - probably the most useful parameter in the AMP module is the definition parameter. Very helpful in either tightening things up, or reducing some shrillness!
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    Kemper guys........a question....
    who makes those stylish box enclosures in green Tolex for the Toaster Heads that makes them look like a real amp ?
  • Dominic said:
    Kemper guys........a question....
    who makes those stylish box enclosures in green Tolex for the Toaster Heads that makes them look like a real amp ?
    Zilla?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Yep, Zilla
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2391
    Any other tips on tightening up a tone? I've been using the definition parameter, and that helps, and setting things like the sag (or whatever its called on the Kemper - don't have it at the minute) to about 0.7....

Any other tips?