Vintage stagger strat pickups with 12" radius neck?

What's Hot
MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
Entirely hypothetical, but as per the title - bad idea, or doesn't it matter much?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    edited June 2018
    Doesn’t matter much in my experience. I had a set of vintage stagger Seymour Duncan Alnico IIs in a Schecter that had a really flat board. It was my main gigging guitar and worked fine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I've thought about getting flat ones from an OCD perspective but when when trying to concentrate on string differences I don't hear any at all so just stick with the staggered.

I think if it made much of a difference Fender wouldn't sell them together as standard.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Thanks @richardhomer and @thegummy - as you may suspect, not entirely hypothetical, as I'm building a strat from parts at the mo, including a 12" radius neck. I've already got some flat pole pickups for this (inexpensive Vanson ones) but from time to time bargains do pop up in the classifieds, but with strat pickups, they're usually made with the vintage stagger on the poles. I'd prefer flat poles, all other things being equal, but if the vintage stagger is not a biggie, it bears consideration. On the other hand, maybe later I can always custom order my perfect spec strat pickups from Oil City or Mojo. But anyhow, cheers again. :)
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1443
    Actually, I found it did make a difference on a 10.5" radius board. I found the difference in level quite distracting and annoying sometimes on clean arpeggio parts.
    Actually, I found it did make a difference on a 10.5" radius board. I found the difference in level quite distracting and annoying sometimes on clean arpeggio parts.
    Very surprised at this. Unless I've got to the point of auto compensating without knowing it. I was even measuring loudness on a daw.
    Fair enough @StuartMac290 , happy to hear a view from the other side of the coin, cheers.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10225
    tFB Trader
    As a pickup maker, the only reason to have vintage stagger pickups these days is for the authentic 'look' ... that is unless you intend to fit vintage spec strings to your instrument, and it's got a vintage narrow radius fingerboard. It does very little harm on a 12'' radius, but it does no real good. Flush pole or a 'radiused stagger' make more sense today ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    As a pickup maker, the only reason to have vintage stagger pickups these days is for the authentic 'look' ... that is unless you intend to fit vintage spec strings to your instrument, and it's got a vintage narrow radius fingerboard. It does very little harm on a 12'' radius, but it does no real good. Flush pole or a 'radiused stagger' make more sense today ... 
    Cheers - I guess I'm not really into the whole authentic look thing anyhow, and in fact I prefer the look of level poles, that's just me. But for now I think I'll see what I think of the "economy" pickups I've already got, and then if I want to upgrade, I can go to someone like your good self, take advice, and get the perfect specs. :)

Don't think I'd purposely choose the vintage stagger, they just came stock on my guitar.

When I first saw staggered pole piece pickups I did think they looked very cool - not because of any authenticity or anything to do with guitars from the 50s, just because they look different to flat pickups really.
    tFB Trader
    thegummy said:
    Don't think I'd purposely choose the vintage stagger, they just came stock on my guitar.

When I first saw staggered pole piece pickups I did think they looked very cool - not because of any authenticity or anything to do with guitars from the 50s, just because they look different to flat pickups really.
    Have to admit there is a certain quirky 'cool' to staggers :-)
    Fender went over to flush poles in the CBS days purely for cost cutting ... and staggers really only came back with the thirst for all things 'old and with mojo'. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26871
    I forget which pickups it was (possibly BK mother mills?) but the staggered ones I had gave balance issues on the G& B strings
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    tFB Trader
    I forget which pickups it was (possibly BK mother mills?) but the staggered ones I had gave balance issues on the G& B strings
    Not all staggers are the same, some are a little more extreme than others. 50s Fenders are very extreme, with the B pole being very low indeed. Below is from the StewMac site.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26871
    edited June 2018
    Not all staggers are the same, some are a little more extreme than others. 50s Fenders are very extreme, with the B pole being very low indeed. Below is from the StewMac site.

Yeah, that’s how they were staggered (whatevee they were!). It wasn’t an issue for chords or gainy stuff, but made finger picked stuff sound weird if played through a clean/crunchy type of sound, which is my bread & butter
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9653

As I understand things, the vintage stagger goes back to the times of having a wound G string. The trouble is that on a guitar with a plain G it will give balance issues.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • I hear the difference on my Strat, with CS69 pickups. It doesn’t bother me, but it’s definitely there.
    Cheers for the further replies, interesting stuff. I'm sure it's no big deal, but I have decided to stick with level pole profile for my strats - probably makes it less likely I'll find a second hand bargain, but new custom-made prices don't seem all that high for strat pickups (most of them anyhow), so may as well get things exactly as I want them.