Satin finish on les paul style burst

What's Hot
dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
Everyone talks about nitro being the one for wood to breath etc

But would about satin finish? That too is very thin?

im thinking about purchasing a satin les Paul burst but was wondering on peoples views?

the Gibson nitro customshop vos guitars have got o lovely sheen too then. They are not thick glossy. 

So how does a satin finish fit in with the authentic looks over time? Gibson tribute range have satin finish. So will they look a bit more like a vos nitro finish after time? I understand after a bit of use the satin becomes more shiny?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11673
    It's worth dipping in to the current vintage vs R8/R9 thread because it touches a bit on this.

Bottom line is, if you are chasing the supposedly magic 59 burst, authentic, unicorn-jizz infused tones beloved of those who were young in the early 70s - you won't be happy with a satin tribute LP forever, so just buy what you can afford now, and then sell it later when you feel richer and buy a genuine vintage LP, or R9, or whatever.

If you just want a Les Paul to play on, buy whatever feels good to you that is within budget. 

I have five LP style guitars, an Epi Custom Pro, a Gibson Studio Faded, and an LTD EC-401, an Indie Union Jack, and a PRS SE Soapbar.  All are different, all are good guitars, and I REALLY only need one, but they are all a bit different, I bought all at different times for different reasons.

Satin finishes will probably age more sensitively than thick Poly, but if you want authentic Nitro ageing, IF IT IS IMPORTANT TO YOU, then you will need to buy nitro, I suspect.

But don't think you need to get sucked into that world to be a better guitarist, you don't.  Vintage gear collecting is a very rewarding (it seems from the thread) and complementary hobby, but it's not an obligation!

We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    I prefer the feel of satin finishes over their modern gloss counterparts, and you can polish up a satin finish to be almost as shiny as full gloss, if you like shiny.

I'd say just go with what you think feels better and let it age as it will.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Can't answer your specific question, sorry, but I can input that my satin les Paul is my girlfriend's favorite guitar for looks out of my collection and she says it's because of the satin finish.

Will report back in 30 years with how well it has aged.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    the nitro satin shines on the wear edges, so it won't stay nice and uniform for long.

Brasso and a soft duster and a few hours hand polishing will have it vintage retro glossy with no onward issues other than looking gawjus... Some Gibson Polish helps remove the haze during Brasso sessions but only needed as and when after.

https://www.homecareessentials.co.uk/media/productimages/Brasso_Metal_Polish.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Satin or gloss has no inherent thickness difference, can be same or different, it's down to how it was applied. Satin can look a bit less deep than it might vs gloss of the same thickness, the surface is reflecting light all over, but you see through the whole depth of a clear gloss lacquer.
    Any paint can be thick or thin regardless of type btw. It's how the sprayer chooses to lay it down.

Satin will polish up to a shine with use, it's pretty unavoidable. You can satin it up again easily, though not necessarily to the exact same sheen it was or matching exactly any unshiney areas.

• rossirossi Frets: 1699
    Satin is just a matting agent  added  to clear ,nitro or 2K.Put more in its matt ,less its satin ,none its clear .
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    /\ Yes is actually an additive called GASIL - a microfine silica.

http://www.bannerchemicals.com/product/gasil-silica-matting-agents/

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I’m interested in going the other way- what’s the best method to “satinise” a poly gloss finish?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1